The only Hot Wings recipe you will ever need!
These aren’t just any hot wings. These hot wings are coated in a flavorful rub then smothered in a perfect marriage of honey, molasses and honey hot wings sauce AKA the best Buffalo wings ever! If you’re looking or traditional Hot wings, I’ve also included that recipe too with the same life changing rub! These hot wings will fly off the plate – almost literally.
Easy Hot Wings Recipe
Usually I am a pretty decisive person. Whenever I was going on a date in college, my roommate would tease me “you’ll know tonight”- meaning I wouldn’t waste his or my time with a second date if I didn’t think it was going anywhere. I had a lot of first and last dates.
When it comes to food, I am also usually pretty decisive. But when it comes to which variation of hot sauce concoction to smother your hot wings with (traditional hot sauce, honey hot sauce, or a combo of the two) I am really indecisive.
In this case of win-win-win sauces to make the best hot wings, I just couldn’t bring myself to pick which sauce I liked best – or thought you would like best – it would be like choosing your favorite child – they are all special and different. So I’ve included three variations of hot sauces that you can choose from depending on your mood and you can start with the Buffalo Honey Hot Wings if you are indecisive. But the great news is, you can’t go wrong with any of the sauces, especially when the wings themselves are to live for smothered in the tantalizing rub.
So I guess the real question is, not what sauce you will pick, but rather, Are you ready for the BEST Buffalo Wings – ever?!!! As in even better than any “wings” place you have ever been to? And easy enough that you will never be tempted to buy hot wings again? In fact, when Patrick and I went out on a double date to a wings joint, we both left feeling completely cheated. Cheated we had spent our hard earned money on wings that may be good by the world’s standards but mediocre compared to the standard of these Buffalo Hot Wings. It’s a high standard.
Ingredients for Baked Hot Wings
This hot chicken wings recipe can be used as a springboard to make pretty much any wings you’d like! In the recipe card below, I’ve listed the ingredients needed to make either buffalo wing sauce or honey hot sauce (spicy or mild).
But to make the flavorful wings themselves, you’ll need:
- Chicken wings: You want skin-on, bone-in chicken wings. Rinse and pat them dry before rubbing with the spice mixture.
- Baking powder: You won’t be able to taste the baking powder but in simplified terms it helps draw moisture to the surface of the skin where it evaporates, breaks down proteins within the skin and accelerates the browning process resulting in crispy, baked hot wings.
- Brown sugar: Balances out the spicy sauce and rub.
- Spices: A mixture of chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
How to Make Homemade Hot Wings
These hot wings are layered in spices, crispy on the outside yet juicy on the inside and smothered in hot sauce or honey hot sauce. They are restaurant (or better!) delicious but you will be AMAZED at just how easy these buffalo wings are to make!
- First, rinse and pat the wings dry, this will help make your wings extra crispy.
- Whisk together all of the rub ingredients of chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, etc. and baking powder to make them crispy.
- To achieve this finger licking goodness, all you do is line your pan (for easy clean up), add your wings to a bag to shake with the spices and bake until crispy.
- Then you toss in your simple sauce of a little butter, honey, molasses and hot sauce. So every crispy hot wing is smothered in tangy sweet buffalo hotness.
These buffalo wings are so good, I was eating them at every stage – baked with only the rub, baked with the rub and smothered in sauce and then baked with the rub, smothered in sauce then dipped in blue cheese sauce. If I didn’t have pictures I would have lost count of how many wings this recipe makes!
In addition to their delish factor, these buffalo wings make the perfect appetizer for any occasion (like New Year’s!) because all of the prep can be done beforehand and because everyone loves crispy smothered chicken that you get to dip and dip and dip.
How Wings Sauce Options
What’s the best hot sauce for wings? You tell me! Here’s a little breakdown of the three hot wing sauce options:
1. Traditional Buffalo Hot Wings Sauce tastes like traditional hot wings flavor by combining hot sauce, molasses and butter – traditional and amazing.
2. Buffalo Honey Hot Wings Sauce (pictured in this post) is a balance of honey and hot sauce for the sweet and spicy combination I adore. This sauce also uses molasses and butter but the primary ingredient is honey which is then spiced with hot WINGS sauce instead of regular hot sauce – which is much spicier than traditional hot sauce allowing you to use less of it and can keep honey as the main ingredient. You can adjust the heat to your liking.
3. Buffalo Mild Honey Hot Wings Sauce is a fusion of the above two recipes with a hint of sticky honey and a slightly milder heat due to the addition of honey and the use of original hot sauce (NOT hot wings sauce). If you still want a hint of honey but like hotter wings, add some Hot Wings Sauce to spice them up (but only add the hot wings sauce if you like HOT).
Can you see my indecisiveness? I just had to share all the sauces because they are each lip smacking delicious depending on what you are looking for. And I’m sure you will find what you are looking for. And more, much more. With one bite, you’ll “know tonight” these hot wings were meant for you.
Tips for Making Baked Hot Wings
- Dry chicken wings. Don’t just pat the wings dry with paper towels, but squeeze them VERY DRY. The drier the wings, the crispier they will get. Dry skin also helps the rub stick. You can even refrigerate your wings for up to 6 hours on a baking rack for the skin to dry out even more. If you do refrigerate the wings, be sure to bring them to room temperature before baking. This should only take about 15 minutes on the counter.
- Use a baking rack. Line a regular size baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup and then top with a baking rack. Spray baking rack with cooking spray – don’t forget this step or your wings will stick! The baking rack elevates the chicken wings so the air can circulate under the wings for crispier skin. It also lets the fat drip off the chicken instead of the wings sitting in a pool of grease.
- Don’t skip baking powder. Baking powder is composed of an acid which draws moisture to the surface of the chicken skin where it evaporates, accelerating the browning process so your chicken can get nice and crispy. Do NOT use baking SODA!
Can I Prep Homemade Hot Wings in Advance?
These hot chicken wings can easily be prepped ahead of time.
- Prepare the chicken up to baking, then refrigerate for up to 12 hours – you can cover for 6 hours then uncover for the last 6 to help dry out the skin.
- Whisk the sauce ingredients together and store in the refrigerator until it’s time to bake the wings. You can also simmer and thicken the sauce ahead of time and store in the refrigerator but you will need to whisk in some water to thin over heat as it will thicken in the refrigerator.
- When it’s time to bake the wings, let them rest on the counter for 15 minutes then proceed to bake according to directions and simmer the sauce until thickened.
How to Store Baked Hot Wings
Leftover buffalo wings should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When properly stored, chicken wings are good for days.
How to Reheat Hot Wings
You can reheat the chicken wing in the oven or the air fryer.
How to Reheat Hot Wings in the AIR FRYER:
- Line basket(s) with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Add chicken wings in a single layer to baskets.
- Use the “snack” setting to reheat or air fry at 360 degrees F for 4 minutes, then increase heat to 400°F and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
How to Reheat Hot Wings in the Oven:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil (for easy cleanup) and spray rack with cooking spray.
- Line wings on baking sheet so they aren’t touching.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.
CAN I FREEZE Hot Chicken Wings?
These baked buffalo wings freeze well, but note that they may lose some of their crispness once frozen.
- Line chicken wings in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Place in the freezer to flash freeze until solid, about 1-2 hours. Flash freezing allows the chicken wings to be placed together in a freezer container without freezing together.
- Transfer frozen wings to a freezer safe container or freezer size plastic bag, squeeze out excess air to prevent freezer burn.
- Freeze for up to three months.
- When ready to serve, line a baking sheet with foil (for easy cleanup) and top with baking rack. Spray rack with cooking spray.
- Line frozen wings on the baking rack and transfer to the refrigerator to thaw.
- Once thawed, bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or until heated through.
What to Serve with Hot Wings
You can serve these buffalo hot wings as a main course or as an appetizer. Here are some recipes that pair well with these buffalo wings:
- Party food mains: Crockpot BBQ Ribs, Cheesy BBQ Pork Taquitos, Pizza Pinwheels, Stromboli, Slow Cooker Brisket, Buffalo Chicken Pull Apart Bread, Philly Cheesesteak Pizza, Crockpot Chili and Carnitas.
- Party food sandwiches: French Dip Sandwiches, Italian Beef Sandwiches, BBQ Brisket Sandwiches, BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Cheesy Italian Meatball Sliders, Hawaiian Sloppy Joes, and Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches.
- Party food appetizers: Bacon Ranch Cheeseball, Jalapeno Poppers, Artichoke Dip Bites, Honey Buffalo Meatballs, Pretzel Bites, Carne Asada Fries, Spinach Dip French Bread, Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls, Southwest Egg Rolls, Cream Cheese Wontons, and Potstickers
- Party food dips: Chili Cheese Dip, Queso Blanco. Jalapeno Popper Dip, Spinach Artichoke Dip, Queso Verde Corn Dip, Best Bean Dip, Brie Spinach Dip, Queso Fundido, Taco Dip, Tzatziki and Whipped Feta Dip.
Looking for More Chicken Wings Recipes?
- Lemon Pepper Wings
- Korean Chicken Wings
- Chinese Chicken Wings
- Ancho Baked Chicken Wings
- Chipotle Honey Wings
- General Tso’s Sticky Wings
Carlsbad Cravings© Original
NEVER MISS A CARLSBAD CRAVINGS CREATION: