This Spinach Dip will be one of the best spinach dips you’ve ever made and/or tasted!
This Hot Spinach Dip is rich, creamy cheesy, packed with flavor and the brie fancies it up for every party! It is made with frozen spinach, four cheeses, sour cream WITHOUT any seasoning packets or mixes! This quick and easy Spinach Dip can be made ahead of time for stress-free entertaining and your friends/family will sing your praises for this indulgent party appetizer!
SPINACH DIP RECIPE VIDEO
I am slightly obsessed with Spinach Dip. Sometimes, it just doesn’t get better than the classics – well, maybe unless you add brie :).
BRIE is my love language. I don’t know why its not more of a year-round cheese, but I’m grateful it at least gets the spotlight during the holidays when its the preferred companion to crackers and it makes every cheesy dip that much better.
The soft French cheese is buttery, mild, subtly nutty and oh so creamy – my love language and just begging to be cocooned to make Baked Brie in Puff Pastry or an easier, just as delicious option – the BEST Spinach Dip of your life! You can be proud to bring this ridiculously rich, rewarding appetizer to any party.
Spinach Dip Recipe
Even if you aren’t sure you love Spinach Dip, this Baked Spinach Dip recipe will convert you. If you have always loved Spinach Dip, then get giddy because now you can create your very own restaurant Spinach Dip in less than 30 minutes – and most of that is hands-off baking time!
In this easy Spinach Dip recipe, I’ve replaced the typically used cream cheese with brie and instead of a base of mayonnaise that can be more greasy than creamy, I’ve created a simple roux based sauce. The sauce gets infused with onions and garlic that transforms into a cheese sauce as you stir in your chopped spinach, roasted red peppers (optional), brie cheese, mozzarella, Jack Cheese, Parmesan Cheese and a few punchy spices.
None of the Spinach Dip ingredients are perishable so you can purchase them all ahead of time so you can make this Hot Spinach Dip at a seconds notice! And it will be devoured just as quickly.
What are the ingredients for spinach dip?
- butter: take care you use unsalted butter so your dip isn’t too salty. You can add salt but you can’t take it away!
- chopped onion: whenever a recipe doesn’t specify what type of onion, it means to use a yellow onion. You can also substitute 1/4 teaspoon onion powder.
- minced garlic cloves: you can add more or less garlic depending on your garlic love. You may also substitute with 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- flour: use all purpose flour for best results. I am sure gluten free flour such as Bob Red’s Mills 1 to 1 flour would also work great.
- milk: any fat content milk will work in this Spinach Dip Recipe.
- Worcestershire sauce: Worcestershire is a pantry must! It is savory, slightly sweet with a distinct tang.
- salt: add more or less salt to taste.
- pepper: add more or less pepper to taste.
- paprika: if you don’t keep paprika stocked you may omit it.
- cayenne: the cayenne pepper makes the Spinach Dip too spicy, just adds a little kick of complex flavor so don’t shy away!
- sour cream: the sour cream adds a wonderful creaminess that can’t be beat. Full fat sour cream melts better but you may use nonfat.
- frozen spinach: If you can’t find 10 oz. spinach package then grab the 16 oz. and add a little more than half. Make sure your spinach is thawed and squeezed dry so there isn’t excess moisture in your Spinach Dip which will make it runny instead of creamy.
- roasted red peppers: you can find jarred roasted red bell peppers next to the other sandwich condiments or feel free to make your own. Roasted bell peppers are optional but I love the added dimension of flavor they add. Take care they are thoroughly drained and patted dry.
- brie cheese: brie can be found with the specialty cheeses at your local grocery store. I purchases my 13 oz. brie at Costco. If you can’t find 13 oz. at your local store then purchase two 8 oz. wheels and use what you need or purchase 8 oz. plus 4 or 5 oz. (My store carries all these sizes so hopefully yours does too!) Remove the rind from all over the brie. The brie gives the Spinach Dip a distinctive brie flavor – if you don’t love brie then use half brie and half cream cheese or all cream cheese.
- mozzarella cheese: Use only freshly grated mozzarella cheese because it not only tastes far superior but melts much better.
- pepper Jack cheese: Use only freshly grated Pepper Jack so it will easily melt.
- Parmesan cheese: Using freshly grated Parmesan cheese is by far the most important. Jarred Parmesan cheese is extremely hard to melt.
Can I substitute fresh spinach for frozen spinach?
Yes, you can use fresh spinach in this baked Spinach Dip recipe, but you will need to cook it first. Here’s how:
- Add fresh spinach leaves to a large skillet.
- Add 1/4 cup water.
- Cook over medium heat until the spinach is soft and wilted.
- Transfer to a clean kitchen towel and squeeze until all the excess moisture is removed.
HOW MUCH FRESH SPINACH IS 10 OZ FROZEN?
You will need one pound of fresh spinach if you are substituting it for 10 oz. frozen spinach in this baked Spinach Dip.
How do I thaw Spinach?
- Remove frozen spinach from bag and place in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave until soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach to a clean towel you don’t care about because it will leave green residue.
- Gather the towel up around the spinach and squeeze and squeeze over the sink until all the excess moisture is gone.
How do you make easy spinach dip?
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a 9” oven proof skillet over medium high heat (OR use any skillet and transfer dip to lightly greased 9” pie pan to bake). Add onions and cook, while stirring for 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds.
- Stir in flour, and cook, while stirring, for 2 minutes. Turn heat to low and stir in milk, Worcestershire sauce and all spices. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a simmer, while stirring, until thickened (but not too thick).
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream until smooth. Stir in spinach and roasted peppers followed by brie, 1/2 cup mozzarella, 1/2 cup Jack cheese, and 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Smooth dip into an even layer (or transfer to prepared pie pan and smooth). Top with remaining cheeses and bake 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and brie is melted. Broil until cheese is golden.
How Do you Serve Spinach Dip?
- After the cheesy Spinach Dip comes out of the oven, let it sit for at least 5 minutes so guests don’t burn their mouths.
- Wrap the skillet handle in a towel to protect your guests from burning themselves.
- Spinach Dip is best served hot.
What Do you Serve With Spinach Dip?
- bread (French, Sourdough)
- tortilla chips
- pita chips
- bell peppers
Can you Make Spinach Dip Ahead of Time?
- Prepare Spinach Dip up through topping with the cheese in Step 5.
- Cover prepared dip with foil and refrigerate.
- When ready to bake, remove foil and bake Spinach Dip in preheated oven at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Can you Make Spinach Dip in the Crockpot?
How much does this Spinach Dip Make?
This hot Spinach Dip makes A LOT! It’s smooth creamy, decadent richness goes a long way, perfect for parties. I would guesstimate it serves about 15.
You can easily half this recipe if this is too much dip for your needs but I looove the leftovers (read on).
What Should I do with Leftover Spinach Dip?
I always am hoping for leftovers of this cheesy Spinach Dip because they are fabulous stirred into pasta or rice and even soup! Just add a little milk to thin out and you have creamy, cheesy, flavorful dinner!
How Long Will homemade spinach dip last?
Baked Spinach Dip will last about 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze Spinach Dip?
I do not recommend freezing Spinach Dip due to the cheeses. The fat will separate from the cheese and they will become a funny texture. Instead, you can prepare your Spinach Dip in advance and refrigerate or half the recipe if you are worried about leftovers.
Looking for more Cheesy Party Appetizers?
- Buffalo Chicken Dip (Stuffed French Bread)
- Bruschetta Cheese Ball
- Artichoke Dip Bites
- Queso Fundido
- Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Pizza Pinwheels
- Garlic Herb Cheese Log
Want to try this Spinach Dip Recipe?
Pin it to your APPETIZER, HOLIDAY OR PARTY Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
©Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: