Baked Chipotle Honey Lime Hot Wings, crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside, smothered in a chipotle rub then bathed in honey lime hot sauce. One of my favorite flavor combinations EVER made into easy wings for a crazy addicting appetizer or meal!
With it being football season, I thought it was past time to bake up some wings! Or just past time because I just love me some wings…
As I was thinking of what both men and woman, and the football watching and non-football watching type, would like in wings, I almost immediately landed on the flavor profile of chipotle honey lime. Its smokey, sweet and spicy and I am pretty sure everyone who has the pleasure of gobbling up these Chipotle Honey Lime Hot Wings will LOVE them – even your kids – because you can completely customize how spicy they are.
Another reason I love wings is they are one of the simplest, most flavorful ways to prepare chicken! All you do is shake your wings in a bag of spices, line them on a baking rack and bake until nice and crispy – no babysitting or standing in front of the stove.
This rub is an alluring combination of chipotle powder, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic, onion and baking powder, (you can read more about baking powder as the key to crispy wings HERE), resulting in wings so dripping with flavor you will have to exercise all your will power not to eat them fresh out of the oven with just the rub. But please. Exercise your will power because the sauce – oh the Honey Lime Hot Sauce!
The Honey Lime Hot Sauce is a melody of honey, splashes of lime, a little butter, and hot WINGS sauce (not original/traditional hot sauce). Perfectly sweet, as spicy as you want, tangy and bright. Perfectly balances the smokey, earthy Mexican spiced wings. Perfectly sticky. Perfectly ready for you to make.
Baked Chipotle Honey Lime Hot Wings
- 24 chicken wings with skin , rinsed and patted dry (approx 3 pounds)
Chipotle Chicken Rub
Honey Lime Hot Sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice whisked with ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ - 1 ½ teaspoons Frank's hot WINGS Sauce not Frank's original
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup. Top baking sheet with baking rack/oven proof cooling rack and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together Rub Ingredients. Add half of the Rub to a large freezer bag. Add half of the wings and shake until coated evenly. Line wings on prepared baking rack so they are not touching (they will be snug). Add remaining Rub ingredients and wings to freezer bag and repeat.
- Bake on upper middle rack for 45-50 minutes at 400 F degrees. Move oven rack approximately 6-8" from broiler and turn oven to Broil. Broil to desired crispiness, watching closely so they don't burn! Optional - for extra crispiness, flip chicken wings over and broil the other side until crispy.
- While wings are cooling, melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Whisk in remaining Honey Lime Hot Sauce ingredients** and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce to a simmer until slightly thickened, approximately 1 minute. Taste and add additional hot sauce for spicier sauces/more honey for sweeter.
- Add cooked chicken to a large bowl and gently toss with Honey Lime Hot Sauce with a spatula OR serve Honey Lime Hot Sauce as a dip
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
Carlsbad Cravings© Original
NEVER MISS A CARLSBAD CRAVINGS CREATION: