This Best Ranch Dressing recipe is all-natural, so easy to make, and blows store-bought versions out of the water!
This Homemade Ranch Dressing recipe is the intoxicating summation of a cool and luxuriously creamy base loaded with fresh and zingy herbs with splashes of lemon and Dijon. It’s so simple, quick and easy to make and most importantly, SO delicious that you’ll never go back to store-bought again! Plus, this Ranch Dressing is so much more than a dressing for your greens, it’s fabulous in pasta salad, potato salad, as a dip for veggies, chicken wings, pizza, etc. and a spread for burgers and sandwiches. It’s also the most versatile dressing out there – turn this simple recipe into Buffalo Ranch, Chipotle Ranch, Avocado Ranch, etc. with just an ingredient or two. All versions included!
HOW TO MAKE homemade ranch dressing VIDEo
Homemade Ranch Dressing Ingredients
Making ranch dressing at home is ridiculously easy and requires just a handful of ingredients. Since the dressing is so simple, I highly recommend sticking to the recipe as written. However, there are a few swaps you can make in a pinch or if you have specific dietary needs, which I’ve listed in the section below. To make this homemade ranch dressing recipe, you’ll need (measurements listed in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post):
how to make Ranch Dressing
As long as you use the correct ingredients, this ranch dressing recipe is FOOLPROOF! The very best ranch dressing is truly as easy as:
possible recipe variations
This ranch dressing recipe is so exciting because it is a chameleon, the perfect blank slate to add any flavorings! You can add heat with chipotle peppers, buffalo sauce, etc., add condiments like barbecue sauce, pesto or mustard, cheese like blue cheese or Parmesan and any additional seasonings like Cajun. Here are more ideas:
How to Make a Healthier Ranch Dressing
Full-fat ingredients are the way to go for traditional ranch dressing, but if you want to make a healthier version here are the swaps I recommend:
- As ranch salad dressing: The obvious use of this dressing is on a big leafy green salad with crisp veggies and croutons. Or, pair it with this chicken bacon ranch salad.
- As ranch pasta salad dressing: Use this bacon ranch pasta salad as a guide. Combine pasta, tomatoes, bell peppers and bacon with creamy ranch.
- As ranch potato salad: Make my loaded potato salad with this homemade ranch dressing – one of my favs!
- On sandwiches, burgers or wraps: Use it instead of mayonnaise on a chicken sandwich, burger, or wraps along with bacon, tomatoes, avocados and lettuce.
- As a dip: Dunk raw veggies or roasted veggies such as Roasted Potatoes, Smashed Potatoes, Roasted Broccoli, etc. in the creamy ranch. You can also drizzle on top of whole roasted Potatoes or Twice Baked Potatoes. It’s also fabulous with chicken wings, popcorn chicken, chicken nuggets and Parmesan chicken.
- As a marinade. Let chicken marinade in the dressing for up to 12 hours. I would also reserve some of the dressing to slather on the chicken after it cooks.
- As a taco topping: Yes, really! Drizzle the ranch atop these buffalo chicken tacos, baked ground beef tacos or use it in my fiesta ranch chicken tacos.
- As a pizza topping: I’ve seen people drizzle ranch atop plain cheese pizza, but I especially love adding ranch to my chicken taco flatbread pizza!
Frequently Asked Questions
No. We are keeping this recipe super accessible without the use of buttermilk. Instead, lemon juice is added for the tanginess. If you prefer to use buttermilk in place of the milk, then omit the lemon juice then add lemon to taste if you would still like a tangier dressing.
Yes, this recipe, as written, is keto.
This recipe, as written, is gluten free if you confirm that your Worcestershire sauce is certified gluten free. Many brands of Worcestershire sauce are made with gluten-free ingredients, so just double check the label.
No, this ranch dressing recipe does not freeze well. The ingredients will make for a funky, grainy texture when frozen and thawed.
Ranch dressing was invented by Steve Hensen in the early 1950s while he worked as a plumbing contractor in Alaska. Part of his responsibilities included cooking for his coworkers. During his time in the kitchen, Hensen began to develop a buttermilk dressing. In 1956 Hensen and his wife, Gayle, purchased a 120-acre dude ranch near in the San Ynez Mountains in Southern California and renamed it Hidden Valley Ranch. Hensen began serving his buttermilk dressing to his guests. It became so popular, that he trademarked the name Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing.
Homemade Ranch Dressing
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives or green onions (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tsp EACH onion powder, garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp EACH pepper, salt
- 1/4 cup milk, more or less to reach desired consistency
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a medium bowl. Add milk as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. I add up to an additional ¼ teaspoon each depending on what I’m serving it with.
- The dressing is best if chilled for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Ranch Dip: Omit the milk or add less to reach your desired consistency.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. If you use all dried herbs, it can last up to 2 weeks, depending on the expiration of your milk and sour cream.
- Variations: It’s easy to change this basic recipe into Chipotle Ranch, Sriracha Ranch, Peppercorn Ranch, Pesto Ranch, Barbecue Ranch, etc. by adding just a couple of ingredients. See the post for how to make all sorts of variations.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!