OVEN FRIED CHICKEN tastes like KFC but with a fraction of the fat – which means you can eat your very own baked “fried chicken” whenever-you-want!!!
Your search for the best crispy Oven Fried Chicken recipe stops here. This Baked Fried Chicken has been a family favorite since the day I first made it – and is about to become a new favorite of yours too! The chicken is marinated in spiced buttermilk then breaded with flour, panko, cornmeal and spices then baked in a little butter for the BEST Baked Oven Fried Chicken ever!
Oven Fried Chicken Recipe Video
I am not going to lie, I love fried chicken, especially my Nashville Fried Chicken. BUT I honestly loved these Baked Oven Fried Chicken Tenders just as much! NO EXAGGERATION. So I think it’s safe to warn you that you might go a little crazy for this Baked Fried Chicken recipe. And when I say crazy, I mean can’t stop obsessing about it, craving it, wanting every meal to be it. Because this Chicken tastes like KFC but with a fraction of the fat – which means you can eat your very own KFC whenever-you-want.
I made this Crispy Oven Fried Chicken while my brother was in town from New York over the holidays but it was coming out of the oven right when he had to leave to pick my other brother up from the airport….but he couldn’t pull himself away. He said he would “try” the chicken, ended up eating his share of chicken tenders, taking one on the road and asked if I could bring any leftovers over – and “are they on the blog yet?”
In researching and testing this Oven Fried Chicken recipe, my goal was to create a baked fried chicken with a spectacular crunch on the outside but with a juicy, tender inside. The chicken needed to boast loads of stand-alone-flavor without knocking your socks off. Mission accomplished! Now you can enjoy Oven Fried chicken without all the mess of frying or the clogged arteries!
How to Make Oven Fried Chicken
And what makes this BEST Oven Fried Chicken so much better than other baked “fried” versions?
- The chicken is marinated in buttermilk so it becomes super tender and also allows the breading to adhere better to the chicken.
- The buttermilk is spiked with spices so the chicken not only becomes tender but infused with flavor as it bathes in spicy goodness.
- The chicken breading isn’t just flour but a harmony of flour, panko breadcrumbs and my secret ingredient – cornmeal for extra crispiness.
- The chicken breading is spiced to perfection with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder and smoked paprika – no weird or exotic seasonings in this classic – just pantry staples!
- The breaded chicken is baked in a little butter (a fraction of the fat from frying) resulting in moist chicken on the inside, crispy breading on the outside but without the guilt or soggy grease of their fried counterpart. winning!
Tips and tricks to make Baked Fried Chicken
- You can use DIY buttermilk. Add one tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice to a measuring cup then fill the rest up with milk. Give it a stir and wait 5-10 minutes to slightly curdle on top.
- The longer you marinate your chicken the more tender it will become.
- Try to use chicken that is uniform in size so it every piece cooks in the same amount of time.
- Take care to use unsalted butter so your chicken isn’t too salty.
- Use a rimmed baking tray and to line it with parchment paper – NOT foil. The chicken will stick to foil and pull off the breading – no bueno.
What Should I serve with Oven Fried Chicken?
- Million Dollar Macaroni and Cheese
- Award Winning Sweet Moist Cornbread
- Baked Beans with Brown Sugar and Bacon
- Kicked Up Classy Creamy Potato Salad
- Company Mashed Potatoes
- Baked Parmesan Fingerling Potato Fries
- Cheesy Pull Apart Pesto Bread
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
- Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Ranch
Now go get crazy and make this healthier Best Baked Oven Fried Chicken – your family and arteries will thank you!
Want to try this Best Oven Fried Chicken?
Pin it to your CHICKEN, DINNER or HEALTHY Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: