Crazy tender Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches seeping with spices are unbelievably delicious and make the easiest dinner or party food!
You haven’t had a French Dip Sandwich until you try this French Dip Recipe! These French Dips have rave reviews for a reason – they are rave worthy! The meat is cooked low and slow, sliced then put back in the slow cooker so it drinks up all the juices and becomes melt-in-your-mouth tender. Pile that juicy beef on to a golden toasted bun smothered with gooey cheese then dunk in flavor bursting au jus and you quite possibly the most delectably delicious bite of. your. life.
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich Recipe Video
What is a French Dip Sandwich?
The classic French Dip Sandwich is a hot sandwich boasting tender thin slices of beef layered on a long French roll, often with melted cheese, then dipped in a flavorful sauce made from the pan juices called “au jus,” French for “with broth” or “with juice.”
Who invented the French dip sandwich?
The French Dip Sandwich did not originate from France but it’s originator, Philippe Mathieu, was French. Phillipe owned a sandwich shop in Los Angeles, Philippe the Original that is still around today! According to the story, Philippe was making a sandwich for a policeman and accidentally dropped the sliced French roll into the drippings of a roasting pan. Instead of getting new bread, Phillipe served dipped bread and the policeman loved it so much he returned the next day with friends requesting all of their sandwiches be dipped in the meat drippings – and that’s how The French Dip Sandwich was born.
Best French Dip Sandwich
How do you make French Dip?
- It is all about the slow cooker liquid which will become your dunkable au jus. This magical beef bath of beef consommé, soy sauce and COKE (inspired by my Chipotle Sweet Pulled Pork), showered with dry minced onions, dry thyme, oregano, garlic and onion powder is savory spiced perfection. But that alone is not enough to make these obsessive worthy French Dip Sandwiches. The meat needs to be crazy tender…
2. To achieve such melt-in-your-mouth tenderness, the roast gets cooked low and slow for 4 hours, then sliced thinly while it is mostly cooked but still firm enough to hold together. The roast slices continued to cook for another 2 hours, so the seasoned broth can permeate every centimeter of the thinly sliced meat, leaving you with the most unbelievably tender, flavorful beef.
3. And then the cheeeeeese. The beef is so melt in your mouth tender, I guarantee you will be devouring this beef alone, no cheese, no sandwich, just moist, flavor bathed beef. But when you finally find the will power to pull yourself away to pile your rolls or hoagie buns with your can’t=stop-eating-meat, top with provolone cheese and bake until the cheese is ooey gooey and bubbly. Because a melty cheese toasted bun bursting with savory meat can only get better by…
4. Dipping our French Dip in best au jus sauce! The leftover slow cooker savory juices further penetrate the meat and the bun leaving it delightfully drippy and drenched in more flavor.
And then the best part – soft golden bread, melty cheese, savory crazy tender beef – in-your-mouth.
Looking for more slow cooker beef recipes?
- Slow Cooker Honey Balsamic Beef
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy
- Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Italian Sandwiches
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: