The Best Philly Cheesesteak recipe made right in the comfort of your own home!
This Best Philly Cheesesteak recipe boasts crazy tender, marinated steak, flavorful crisp tender bell peppers and ooey gooey cheese all sandwich in between a hoagie bun. The incredible marinated steak and spiced mayo set these Philly Cheesesteaks worlds above other recipes and you won’t believe how easy they are. These Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches make a fabulous game day food, guest food, or just a fun dinner any night of the week. You haven’t tried Philly Cheesesteaks until you try these!
This Best Philly Cheesesteak recipe is sponsored by Sargento® Cheese. All opinions are 100% mine.
Best Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
I’ve mentioned my obsession with Philly Cheesesteaks here before. I crave them almost more than any other food. Thus my Alfredo Philly Cheesesteak Pizza (one of my first posts, terrible pics but SO GOOD) and my Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls and I’ve already photographed a Philly Cheesesteak Soup to share with you. I love Cheesesteak so much that our authentic hole in the wall Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich shop was my requested Valentines destination. True love.
So while I can’t claim to have ever been to Pat’s or Geno’s, I’ve dined at my fair share of transplanted authentic Philly Cheesesteak shops to know what makes the Best Philly Cheesesteak recipe – AND what makes a bad one – no dry filling, bland meat or plain buns here!
So while these Philly Cheesesteaks are not 100% authentic (I use provolone with sharp cheese (sorry purists), they are some pretty unbelievably delicious Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches brimming with juicy chopped steak, peppers, poblanos and onions smothered in melty cheese – and I daresay the BEST homemade Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich recipe I have triad yet – I hope you agree!
What goes on a Philly cheesesteak?
Philly Cheesesteaks are known as Philadelphia cheesesteak, Philly cheesesteak, cheesesteak sandwich, cheese steak, or steak and cheese but they all boast the same tantalizing filling of thinly sliced steak and melted cheese served on a hoagie roll. Many Philly Cheesesteaks also include sauteed onions and bell peppers. Some versions also contain mushrooms, sweet peppers.hot peppers, banana peppers, pimientos, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, olives and/or pepperoncinis,
So while I’ve kept this Philly Cheesesteak recipe simple with steak, onions, bell peppers an cheese, feel free to add whatever toppings your heart – or belly – desires!
What cut of meat is best for Philly cheese steak?
There are a few important factors to create the Best Philly Cheesesteak recipe starting with the cut of meat. Ribeye is the traditional cut of beef and if we weren’t marinating the beef, I would highly recommend only that for its fat/marbling which keeps the meat moist and flavorful BUT because we are marinating the beef, feel free to substitute a less pricey cut such as top sirloin or skirt.
What type of cheese goes on Philly cheesesteaks?
What Bread is best for Philly cheesesteaks?
Most Philly Cheesesteaks are are served on Amoroso rolls. These are long, soft rolls that are slightly salted. When looking for rolls to serve your Best Philly Cheesesteak recipe at home, shop your local bakery or the bakery at your local grocery store for a soft hoagie roll.
How to Make Best Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
- Step 1 – Marinate Steak: Marinating the steak is KEY for the Best Philly Cheesesteak recipe. The marinade is where all the flavor comes from AND it tenderizes the meat. Our marinade consists of a simple mixture of Dijon, balsamic, Worcestershire and seasonings.
- Step 2: Slice Beef Thinly: What makes amazing marinated steak more amazing is slicing it as thinly as possible before you marinate it. You can also ask your butcher to do this for you on their meat slicer or the easiest way to do it yourself is to freeze your steak for 30 minutes or so before slicing it. You can also tenderize and pound your steak even thinner after you slice it if you want to get a little crazy about it. What we do for love.
- Step 3 – Saute Veggies: After you saute your steak, onions and peppers (I use a combo of poblano pepper and bell peppers for more flavor).
- Step 4 – Add cheese to filling: More magic begins with the addition of a little seasoned mayonnaise (a simple mixture of mayo with some reserved marinade), sharp cheddar cheese and pimientos.
- Step 5 – Stir: Stir it all together until melted for some creamy cheesy meatiness…
- Step 6 – Assemble: Now we’re ready to pile our cheesesteak filling into our seasoned mayo slathered buns. And you better pile quickly because I could not stop eating the filling – and we haven’t even added the extra cheese yet!
- Step 7 – More Cheese: Next, one of the most important parts, the crowning of our filling with more cheeeeese! I used Sargento® Provolone because its zestier than a younger Provolone, melts amazingly well and is 100% real cheese! Sargento® Pepper Jack would also be delicious, or maybe a combo, either way you can’t go wrong with Sargento® because all their Sargento® Sliced Cheese are always 100% real, natural cheese whereas Pasteurized Process Cheese Food, (sometimes known as American singles), is only required to contain 51% real cheese. And I like real cheese.
- Step 8 – Bake: Finally, bake your Philly Cheesesteaks for 5 minutes or so for the cheese to become ooey gooey melty swoon worthy and the buns to crisp up with the seasoned mayonnaise…
- Step 9 – EAT! And dig into a melty, meaty, cheesy dreamy Philly Cheesesteak heaven. The taste of true love.
What goes well with Philly cheese steak?
Philly Cheesecakes are often served with Fries, onion rings or potato chips and a green salad and/or pasta salad. And because this is the Best Philly Cheesesteak recipe, it deserves the very best sides! Here are some of my favorites:
- Million Dollar Macaroni and Cheese
- Baked Beans with Brown Sugar and Bacon
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Baked Beans
- Italian Tortellini Salad
- Perfect Fruit Salad
- Creamy Grape Salad
- Kicked Up Classy Creamy Potato Salad
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
- Greek Pasta Salad with Sun-Dried Tomato Feta Pesto
- Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Ranch
Looking for more Sandwich recipes?
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket (Sandwiches)
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich
- BBQ Chipotle Chicken Sandwich
Want to try this Best Philly Cheesesteak Recipe?
Pin it to your GAME DAY, MEAT or DINNER Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
©Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: