Baked Chicken Burritos AKA “skinny chimichangas” are restaurant delicious without all the calories!
These Chicken Burritos are made super easy by stuffing them with the BEST slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken, baking to golden perfection and smothering in most incredible Cheesy Green Chili Sour Cream Sauce. You can make the chicken and sauce ahead of time and then reheat for crazy fast assembly! These Chicken Burritos are also freezer friendly, for an easy walk-in-the-door dinner!
How to make Chicken Burritos Video
Three moths ago, I mentioned in my Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken post that the recipe for these insanely delicious shredded chicken burritos was coming soon – my goodness, how time flies! I got so caught up in holiday recipes that these beauties didn’t get their time in the deserved spotlight – until now. So over 90K Mexican Chicken pins later, I finally bring you Smothered Mexican Chicken Burritos that are ssssooooo worth the wait!
These Chicken Burritos remind me of my Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas with the most luscious sauce except they get nice and crispy on the outside before they get smothered – yassssss! I’ve also made several variations of this smothered burritos with all kinds of mix and match fillings and sauces you can see in my Wet Burritos recipe. If you’re looking for even more burrito recipes, you will love my California Burritos, Beef, Bean and Cheese Burritos, and Breakfast Burritos.
Chicken Burritos Recipe
These chicken burritos are my personal favorite way to devour my Mexican Chicken that is slow cooked with Mexican spices, salsa and green chilies for amazingly flavorful chicken that is just begging to be piled in a tortilla, loaded with cheese and baked until golden crispy deliciousness. And because every burrito, taco, etc., is better with either sour cream or more cheese – or both, these Baked Chicken Burritos get smothered in velvety Cheesy Green Chili Sour Cream Sauce that is oh so lick the pan worthy.
What goes in Chicken Burritos?
- Mexican Chicken: Mexican is made in the crockpot so it it literally dump run – or take a nap – until it emerges juicy, tender and packed with flavor. If you really want Chicken burritos NOW, then you can toss some cooked, shredded chicken in some salsa. I personally haven’t tried this – I’m just brainstorming the fastest way to get these Chicken Burritos into your mouth.
Cheese: I like to use cheddar cheese because the sharp flavor doesn’t get lost and beautifully compliments the Cheesy Green Chili Sour Cream sauce. You are welecome to substitute for what you have on hand though from Mexican Cheese blend, Monterrey to Pepper Jack.
- Add-ins: the Mexican Chicken and cheese are must-haves for chicken burritos but you can also add black beans, refried beans, rice and even vegetables such as bell peppers, corn and zucchini.
- Burrito Size Tortillas: You’ll need to wrap all your cheesy goodness in a big burrito size tortilla. I prefer raw/uncooked tortillas found in the refrigerated section like Tortilla Land (I buy mine at Costco). They are thinner so they bake and crisp beautifully! If you use unbaked tortillas, you will still make the recipe as written. Traditional cooked tortillas are also delicious!
How do you make chicken burritos in the oven?
- Make Chicken: Prepare Mexican Chicken according to recipe directions. Drain any excess liquid from chicken. This will ensure your burritos don’t end up soggy.
- Prep Pan: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and add a baking rack on top. The baking rack helps the chicken burritos crisp up on all sides, but if you don’t have a baking rack, then just skip this step and lightly grease your pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Assemble Burritos: Prepare burritos by adding a heaping 1/2 cup filling to each tortilla (uncooked if using raw tortillas), top with desired amount of cheese and roll up burrito style by tucking the ends of the burrito in then rolling up tightly.
- Olive oil: Place burritos on the baking rack seam side DOWN. Brush both sides lightly with olive oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray. I prefer to brush my burritos with olive oil – I find they get crispier this way. Just take care you brush them lightly.
- Bake: Cook for 18-20 minutes or until golden. Broil to desired crispiness, flip over and broil the other side until golden.
What should I serve with Chicken Burritos?
You can be as simple or as extravagant as your heart desires with these Chicken Burritos. You can create a topping bar and let everyone pile their Chicken Burritos with their favs and serve with a side of rice, beans, chips and a big salad, or I’ve included some more fun and flirty sides below.
TOPPINGS (pick all or some of your favs:
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Restaurant-Style Mexican Rice
- Corn Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Grilled Corn on the Cob with Chipotle Lime Butter
- Southwest Salad with Creamy Avocado Salsa Dressing
- Southwest Orzo Salad with Chipotle Honey Lime Vinaigrette
- Fruit Salad with Honey Citrus Dressing
- Pina Colada Fruit Salad
- Grilled Pineapple with Brown Sugar Orange Glaze
- Mexican Street Fries with Salsa Ketchup
- and top it all off with Churros!
Can I freeze Chicken Burritos?
Yes! You can freeze the Chicken Burritos but the Green Chili Sour Cream Sauce does not freeze well. To freeze chicken burritos:
- Cool Filling: Let chicken cool otherwise you will end up with soggy tortillas.
- Assemble: Assemble chicken burritos per instructions.
- Bake: Bake chicken burritos according to recipe instructions.
- Cool: Let chicken burritos cool completely.
- Foil: Wrap individual burritos up tightly in foil.
- Freeze: Freeze burritos in a single layer on a baking sheet. This will help them freeze faster and not get squished.
- Store: Add frozen burritos to a large freezer size bag, remove excess air and seal.
- Bake: Remove frozen chicken burrito from foil and place on a baking rack. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until completely warmed through and toasted. Broil to desired crispiness, flip over and broil the other side until golden.
- Microwave: Remove chicken burritos from foil. Microwave for approximately 4 minutes or until warmed through. If you want to crisp up your microwaved burritos, then you can broil in the oven or I suggests pan searing like I do in these Breakfast Burritos (an oldie but goodie).
Looking for Mexican Recipes?
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Beef Barbacoa
- Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Chicken Fajitas
- Blackened Tilapia Fish Tacos
- Baja Fish Tacos
- Best Carne Asada
WANT TO TRY THIS CHICKEN BURRITO RECIPE?
PIN IT TO YOUR CHICKEN, MEXICAN or DINNER BOARD TO SAVE FOR LATER!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES! I AM ALWAYS PINNING :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like these dinner recipes: