Healthy Alfredo Sauce made without any butter, heavy cream or cream cheese!
This Healthy Alfredo Sauce is luxuriously creamy and tastes decadently rich but without all the extra fat or guilt! It’s made with olive oil, skim milk, chicken broth and a roux for a significantly lightened up version. The sauce is seasoned to perfection and uses both Parmesan and mozzarella for an dynamic dimension of flavor. This Healthy Alfredo Sauce is completely customizable – serve it plain over your favorite pasta or zoodles or add chicken or shrimp and any of your favorite veggies. Healthy never tasted so rich!
Is there a healthy Alfredo sauce?
If you’re like me and crave smooth, creamy, luscious Alfredo Sauce that effortlessly blankets pasta and slurps down with ease but bemoan the fact that it’s laden with calories, then I have the solution! You CAN have rich and creamy Fettuccine Alfredo – and in your pajamas too – with this Healthy Alfredo Sauce!
This luscious Healthy Alfredo Sauce tastes like pure decadence, the same decadence as Alfredos with mounds and mounds of butter, heavy cream and even cream cheese. You would never know this Alfredo doesn’t have any of those caloric ingredients! Instead it has only 2 tablespoons of olive oil – a healthier kind of fat and that covers a whole pound of pasta!
The pairing of both Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese in this Healthy Alfredo Sauce add a depth of flavor while complimented by garlic, basil, parsley and red pepper flakes — no bland fettuccine here! I would never give you bland!
This Healthy Alfredo Sauce with fettuccine can be on the table in less than 30 minutes (probably more like 20), perfect for busy nights or for any other day you are simply craving creamy, smooth, flavorful healthier Fettuccine Alfredo. YUM!
What can you substitute for heavy cream in Alfredo sauce?
Instead of using heavy cream in this Healthier Alfredo Sauce, we create a roux with olive oil and flour then add milk and chicken broth. When you simmer all of these ingredients together, you achieve a rich, thick sauce WITHOUT any heavy cream! I use this method in all of my creamy sauces like in my Roasted Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo, Sun-Dried Tomato Fettuccine Alfredo, Million Dollar Macaroni and Cheese, etc. – there is simply no need to just use heavy cream when the same results can be achieved with a fraction of the calories.
What Ingredients do I need for Healthy Alfredo Sauce?
- olive oil: a healthier type of fat – you can substitute butter if you prefer
- garlic cloves: infuses garlicky goodness for flavor – use more or less depending on your garlic love
- all-purpose flour: thickens the sauce beautifully – I’m sure gluten free flours would work great in this recipe as well
- low sodium chicken broth: more flavorful than just milk, you can also substitute vegetable stock; make sure you use low sodium so your Alfredo Sauce isn’t too salty
- lowfat milk: you can use whatever milk you have on hand
- onion powder, dried basil, dried parsley: you can taste your Healthy Alfredo Sauce at the end of cooking and add more seasonings to taste
- salt and pepper: add more or less to taste
- red pepper flakes: they give a nice kick but won’t make your sauce spicy
- Parmesan cheese: use ONLY freshly grated Parmesan cheese or else it will not melt well at all, freshy grated Parmesan cheese is also much more flavorful
- mozzarella cheese: use freshly grated mozzarella for its superior melting abilities and taste
These ingredients are for the skinniest version. If you want to add a little decadence with this primarily healthy base, then feel free to add more cheese, cream cheese or 1/4 cup or so of heavy cream. I do this in my Lemon Garlic Shrimp Fettuccine where I start with a roux for a base to do most of the thickening then add 1/2 cup heavy cream.
how to make alfredo sauce
- Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook while stirring for 3-5 minutes, or until raw flour smell is gone, then turn heat to low. Slowly whisk in chicken broth, then milk, stirring constantly until smooth. Turn heat to medium high and bring the sauce to a simmer. Stir in spices and continue to simmer until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in Parmesan cheese until melted, followed by mozzarella cheese until melted. As soon as cheese is melted, remove from heat.
- Combine with your favorite pasta and dinner is served in less than 20 MINUTES!
What Readers are Saying about this Healthy Alfredo Sauce:
I can’t believe how delicious this is, especially considering its one of the easiest things to make AND its tons less fat than the mega fatty version. Thanks for making it skinny! – Linda
This recipe is AMAZING… I had to comment on this one because it was just THAT GOOD. Thank you so much for posting such great recipes and I can’t wait to try more of them! – Abby
Wow. I just made this tonight for my husband and we were both totally blown away- we couldn’t believe this is “skinny”! It is deiciously amaaaazing!
Thank you for your story and blog, Jenn! – MLK
I don’t think I have EVER left a recipe review or comment before, but I just had to. This was amazing!!!! I was NOT expecting it to blow me away, being “skinny” and all, but wow!! Seriously so so so good!! – Candace
Just got done making this and am eating it as I type! It is crazy easy, crazy flavorful, and crazy good. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe- I’ll definitely be making it again! – Jen
Looking for more easy Italian pasta recipes?
- Best Lasagna
- Cheesy Bolognese Pasta Bake
- Million Dollar Baked Penne
- Baked Italian Meatballs (and Spaghetti)
- One Skillet Cheesy Meaty Penne
- Parmesan Meatballs and Orzo
- Spaghetti Bolognese
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: