Your whole family is going to LOVE this epic ONE Skillet Cheesy Penne (with meat sauce) and you are going to love how easy it is!
This Cheesy Penne is life changing – or at least culinary changing. The pasta cooks right in the homemade ragu so the pasta soaks up tons of flavor then is loaded with cheeeeeeeese for an easy, comforting, any-night-of-the-week dinner. Serve this penne pasta alongside garlic bread and Parmesan asparagus for a delectable dinner with little cleanup but TONS of taste!
There is nothing quite as universally comforting to devour as a cheesy, hearty pasta from my Classic Lasagna and One Pot Lasagna Soup to my Million Dollar Baked Penne, Million Dollar Mac and Cheese Casserole, One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese, Spaghetti Bolognese, Spaghetti and Meatballs to my Cheesy Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta – I could go on and on and on. And there is nothing quite as universally appealing to a cook as easy cleanup as a ONE SKILLET PASTA – enter your new best friends, One Skillet Cheesy Penne!
You will love every cheesy, meaty, saucy bite of of this cheesy penne. Not only is it cheesy, but its creamy, seasoned to perfection and is going to have you craving its comfortliciousness endlessly.
While pasta is already a relatively quick and easy dinner, we are able to eliminate two extra pots and infuse the pasta with tons of flavor by simmering everything right in the same skillet.
How to Make Cheese Penne
- First, brown your beef with onions and carrots then stir in your bell pepper and garlic.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, fire roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, and your Italian seasonings and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes and your ragu flavors have melded, stir in the water and pasta…
- And simmer an additional 12-ish minutes or until your pasta is al dente and has soaked up the seasoned water.
- Stir in the cream, Parmesan, and cheddar – mmmmmmm……
- Top with mozzarella and broil just until the cheese is melted and golden.
And you have ooey, gooey, saucy One Skilley Cheesy Penne all under 30 minutes and all in one dish!
Another bonus of this One Skillet Cheesy Penne is that it makes wonderful leftovers – I think the flavors are even better the next day as I could not stop craving it, eating it, loving every bite of it.
So the next time you need an easy prep, easy cleanup but absolutely rave worthy meal (which is all the time right?), try this One Skillet Cheesy Penne! And sit back, relax, and let someone else wash the one skillet.
Looking for more Italian pasta recipes?
- Million Dollar Baked Penne
- Baked Italian Meatballs (and Spaghetti)
- Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo
- Parmesan Meatballs and Orzo
- Chicken Parmesan
- Shrimp Fettuccine
- Million Dollar Macaroni and Cheese
- 20 Minute Sundried Tomato Basil Shrimp Pasta
Want to try this One Skillet Cheesy Penne?
Pin it to your PASTA, DINNER or Meat Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Tools Used in This RecipeSee Favorite Tools
One Skillet Cheesy Penne
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef (may use ½ sausage)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 6-8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 15 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes with seasonings, drained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp EACH chicken bouillon, sugar, dried basil
- 1/2 tsp EACH dried oregano, dried parsley
- 3 cups water
- 12 ounces uncooked penne (about 3 ½ cups)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick, oven proof skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add meat and season with ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper and ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes. Add onions and carrots and cook until meat is browned.
- After 10 minutes, stir in the water and pasta. Cover, increase heat to medium-high and cook at a vigorous simmer (you may need to decrease heat), stirring occasionally and replacing lid, just until the pasta is al dente, 12-16 minutes. Taste pasta often as reaches the end of cooking to ensure you don’t overcook your pasta.
- Stir in the cream, Parmesan, and cheddar until well combined. Top the pasta evenly with mozzarella. Transfer the skillet to the oven (on the middle rack) and broil until the cheese is melted and golden, 2-3 minutes. Let sit at least 5 minutes before serving.
- This makes wonderful leftovers – I think the flavors are even better the next day!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
©Carlsbad Cravings Original
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of New York Bakery. The opinions and text are all mine.