Crockpot Chicken Fajitas is the easiest way to make restaurant delicious chicken fajitas at home!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Recipe is as easy as adding all your ingredients to your slow cooker while you take a nap and let the citrus tenderize your chicken and the spices permeate every crevice so when you’re rested, you have fall apart, fall in love Crockpot Chicken Fajitas!
This recipe is super versatile and the perfect make-ahead chicken for busy nights or for chicken fajita tacos, chicken fajita salads, chicken fajita burritos, chicken fajita burrito bowls, etc.
Serve them with a stack of warm tortillas, guacamole, sour cream, salsa and a side of rice/black beans and you might just have the most perfect Mexican meal ever. These Crockpot Chicken Fajitas are also wonderful for crowds and to create your very own fajita bar!
Easy Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
If you have never made fajitas in your slow cooker, you are in for a juicy, flavorful revelation. While I adore everything fajitas from my Skillet Chicken Fajitas, Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas, Grilled Steak Fajitas and even One Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta and One Pot Chicken Fajita and Rice Soup, they all require more hands on cooking time or marinating than these Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas.
In this Crockpot Chicken Fajitas recipe, the chicken marinates and cooks at the same time so it emerges seeping with fiesta spices, wonderfully tender and juicy and all you had to do was dump and simmer everything in your crockpot!
Speaking of the crockpot, have I told you how much I adore my crockpot? I love my crockpot so much its my preferred cooking method for stress free company cooking and I can barely bring myself to cook a soup any other way. And for fall apart meat? It’s a no brainer from these Crockpot Chicken Fajitas to Carnitas, Mexican Chicken, Chipotle Beef Barbacoa and Mississippi Pot Roast.
I finally have enough crockpot recipes to warrant its very own “Slow Cooker” section on my Recipe Index including my White Chicken Chili, French Dip Sandwiches and other equally simple palate pleasing recipes. You can click HERE to see them all. This Crockpot Chicken Fajitas is honored to join the lineup.
Ingredients in Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
Although crockpot meals might be the easiest way to cook almost anything, if you have been following me for any time at all, you know that easy doesn’t equate to bland in my book. In fact, the exact opposite for this Crockpot Chicken Fajitas recipe!
The ingredient list is somewhat lengthy, but each spice, each dash of citrus, each splash of liquid smoke create a harmonious complex blend of flavors that will have you singing the chicken’s praises. And all you have to do is add them to the crockpot.
First, we need a stellar homemade fajita seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
Shredded chicken fajitas have never been so easy to make! Here are the basic steps for making Crockpot fajitas:
- Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil and place in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add all of the crockpot liquid ingredients and homemade fajita seasoning and give the ingredients a stir.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours or until chicken is tender enough to shred.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board, shred and return back to slow cooker (there will be liquid remaining).
- Top with bell peppers and cook on HIGH for 30-45 minutes, depending on desired crisp-tenderness of bell peppers.
- Taste and stir in hot sauce to taste and additional orange juice or brown sugar if desired. Drain all excess liquid.
Do you put water in slow cooker with chicken?
Some readers have asked if they need to add water to the chicken and the answer is no. The chicken will naturally release moisture and most importantly, we are creating our own marinade that will infuse our crockpot chicken fajitas with smokey, slightly citrus flavor. If you add water, it will dilute the flavor of the chicken fajitas.
How long does it take to cook peppers in a slow cooker?
The chicken in these Crockpot Chicken Fajitas is delectable all on its own and can be devoured without the bell peppers. But for fajita chicken, the crisp tender crunch of bell peppers bathed in spices is just what your taste buds ordered.
As far as how long to cook peppers in the slow cooker, DON’T believe other slow cooker fajita chicken recipes (or any slow cooker recipe) that tells you to add the bell peppers with your chicken to cook the whole time. They lie. I tried this technique first and ended up with a pile of mushy peppers. Gross.
For this Crockpot Chicken Fajitas recipe, the bell peppers are added the last 30-45 minutes of cooking and cooked on HIGH so they soak in just the right amount of spice and tenderness. The time range is due to the variance in slow cookers and how crisp-tender each reader likes their peppers.
Tips for the Best Chicken Fajitas
- Citrus. The range of orange juice is because some readers will like the chicken more citrusy, some readers will like less. You can start with less and add more at the end of cooking if desired.
- Spice it up. You can add the cayenne pepper at the end of cooking if you aren’t sure you want the extra kick of heat or add hot sauce to taste.
- Smoke it Up. Liquid smoke gives the chicken the grilled smokey flavor. I highly recommend it but it is optional. You can find liquid smoke next to the barbecue sauces at your grocery store.
- Best Rice. When I drain my excess liquid, I top a large bowl with a strainer and add slow cooker contents, pressing down on chicken to get rid of all of the excess moisture then use drained liquid plus additional needed water to cook my rice.
HOW SHOULD I SERVE SLOW COOKER CHICKEN FAJITAS?
You can serve these Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas in tortillas, in a salad or with rice and beans piled with all your favorite fajita toppings for a complete meal-in-one that’s different every time! Thank you crockpot.
- Chicken Fajitas: Serve the chicken, onions and peppers wrapped in a warm tortilla with sour cream, salsa, guacamole and fresh lime,
- Chicken Fajita Tacos: Layer hard tortillas shells (like this recipe) with cheese and melt. Top with black or pinto beans, crockpot fajita chicken and choppedlettuce. Top with pico de gallo, fresh guacamole, salsa, cotija cheese, sour cream and hot sauce.
- Chicken Fajita Salad: Toss the chicken, onion, and bell peppers with some lettuce, fresh corn, and black beans and drizzle with Tomatillo Avocado Ranch or Cilantro Lime Dressing. This fajita salad would also be delicious with pepitas or sunflower seeds and cotija and pepper jack cheese.
- Chicken Fajita Quesadilla: sandwich the chicken and veggies in tortillas and smother with cheese and bake, grill or melt cheese on the stove. Serve with a healthy dose of sour cream, salsa verde and guacamole.
- Chicken Fajita Burritos: Wrap the chicken and veggies in a large tortilla along with Cilantro Lime Rice, black beans, lettuce, sour cream and guacamole.
- Chicken Fajita Wet Burritos: Fill as above except omit lettuce then follow my instructions for Wet Burritos.
- Chicken Fajita Burrito Bowl: Pile the chicken and bell peppers on a bed of Mexican Rice or Cilantro Lime Rice with black beans, lettuce and tortilla chips with condiments of choice or Tomatillo Avocado Ranch.
- Chicken Fajita Nachos: Pile thick restaurant style tortilla chips with cheese and beans and bake. Top with crockpot fajita chicken pork and desired toppings such as pico de gallo, sour cream, and fresh guacamole.
Now go devour your Crockpot Chicken Fajitas however you like it. And I believe you will like. And when I say like, I mean love.
Can I Prep Crockpot Chicken Fajitas in Advance?
These easy chicken fajitas can be prepped ahead so when it comes time to cook, it’s just a matter of dumping everything into the Crockpot.
- Marinade: Whisk all the marinade ingredients together and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Vegetables: Slice your bell peppers and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours.
- Toppings: pico de gallo and guacamole are common toppings for slow cooker chicken fajitas. Pico de gallo and guacamole can be made the morning you plan on serving the fajitas.
How to Store Slow Cooker Fajitas
Store leftover shredded chicken fajitas in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to Reheat Slow Cooker Fajitas
- Microwave: transfer chicken and bell peppers to a microwave-safe plate. Microwave for 60 seconds then at 20 second intervals as needed.
- Skillet: warm chicken in a skillet on the stove top over medium heat, stirring often until warmed through.
- Oven: Transfer chicken and bell peppers to a baking sheet and reheat at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or just until warmed through.
Can I Freeze Crockpot Chicken Fajitas?
Yes, you may freeze the chicken after it is cooked. I do not recommend freezing the bell peppers as they will become mushy when defrosted.
To freeze: After you have cooked the chicken, let it cool completely then transfer it to an airtight container or plastic freezer bag and squeeze out any excess air. Freeze for 2 to 3 months.
WHAT READERS ARE SAYING ABOUT THIS CROCKPOT CHICKEN FAJITAS RECIPE:
Making this again tonight because the first time I made it I fell in looooove. We had a party a few weeks ago so I made a big double batch of this plus another huge pulled pork recipe from another website…my boyfriend and his mate were literally scraping the crispy bits off the bottom of the slow cooker at 1am hahaha – Taysia
Excellent recipe! My family really enjoyed it. I love the flavor from the liquid smoke. Best fajita recipe! Thank you for such a wonderful recipe. -Susan
Made ’em last night & this Citrus Fajita chicken is AWESOME, I mean 6 stars on a scale of 5 stars—“I’m throwing away all my other chicken crockpot fajita recipes” good! I went with original quantities of flavorings–perfect…[Readers] IGNORE the long list of ingredients—they’re just spices to mix in, these are easy to make. Only regret is I should have made a bigger batch! – Cindy
Jen, you’ve positively outdone yourself AGAIN with this Fajita Chicken. Its Easy! Its Delicious! Its a real crowd pleaser. Our Empty Nester’s group couldn’t get enough……So glad I doubled the recipe. Whenever I need a recipe, I can always count on Carlsbad Cravings….Thanks for all your deliciousness.– Marica
This is the best recipe for big families! I make this so often only I use triple amounts so I can get a couple meals out of this, plus leftovers for emergency midnight snacks for starving teens. I make enchiladas, burritos and the rest for emergency tacos. Love it! -Sue
Looking for More Crockpot Chicken Recipes?
- Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Honey Lime Chicken
- Slow Cooker Fiesta Ranch Cream Cheese Chicken
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Salsa Chicken
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Buffalo Chicken
- Asian Sweet Chili Sesame Chicken
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken
Looking for More Fajita Recipes?
If you love fajita everything, you will also love my:
- Salsa Verde Honey Lime Pork Fajtas
- Fajita Chicken and Rice
- Sheet Pan Fajita Salmon with Cilantro Lime Butter
- Fajita Chicken Wraps with Creamy Avocado Dip
Want to try this Slow cooker Chicken Fajita Recipe?
Pin it to your SLOW COOKER, CHICKEN or DINNER BOARD to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like these Mexican Recipes: