Mongolian Chicken made super easy in the slow cooker and super delicious smothered in a multi-dimensional sweet, savory, spicy (customizable) sauce!
This Mongolian Chicken is is my Go-To slow cooker meal! It takes minutes to “set it and forget” for tender, juicy chicken, then you thicken your sauce on the stove for truly luxurious Mongolian sauce – no lackluster, runny sauce here! You will love the ease of this Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken and everyone else will swoon over the better than takeout flavor!
Mongolian Chicken Recipe Video
This Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken really is my go-to meal whenever I want stress free, hassle free, almost effort free but also want to sink my teeth into a meal that is company delicious. In fact, this was the exact scenario when I brought this Mongolian Chicken to a friend last week who had just welcomed her newborn baby home. I was juggling a million things the day I was bringing her dinner including cooking and photographing two different recipes so I needed something insanely easy and insanely delicious. Thank you Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken.
WHAT IS MONGOLIAN CHICKEN?
This better-than-takeout, swoon worthy Mongolian Chicken is based off my Mongolian Beef which is one of my absolute favs because the sauce is everything. The Mongoilan sauce is perfectly balanced savory, sweet, tangy and spicy. It’s savory from the soy sauce, garlic and ginger, sweet from the brown sugar and rice wine, tangy from the hoisin (like Chinese BBQ sauce), and is topped off with a splash of sweet heat from Asian Sweet Chili Sauce. Can we say best sauce ever?!
Mongolian Chicken is simply a tender chicken version of this Mongolian Beef with a variation on the incredible sauce. Mongolian Beef is a popular dish served in Chinese-American restaurants such as PF Changs and doesn’t actually come from Mongolia. Story has it that a chef in a Chinese American kitchen needed a creative name for a new Asian dish and “Mongolian Beef” was born. Although I love my stir-fry Mongolian Beef version, I loooove my crockpot, and I love my always stocked chicken, thus this Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken was born.
How To Make Mongolian Chicken (Tips and Tricks)
- Add chicken to the bottom of your slow cooker. I use chicken breasts in this recipe but you are welcome to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Whisk together all of the Mongolian Sauce ingredients and pour 1/2 cup over chicken. Refrigerate the rest of the sauce.The Mongolian Sauce consists of Asian pantry staples – if you cook a lot of Asian food. If you don’t there might be a few ingredients you don’t recognize:
- Hoisin Sauce. If you aren’t familiar with hoisin sauce it it can be found in the Asian section of your grocery store and is like Asian BBQ Sauce. Its rich, sweet and tangy. I use it all the time in my recipes so if you are interested in making my Beef and Broccoli, Kung Pao Shrimp, Sesame Chicken, etc., then I promise it will not go to waste!
- Rice Wine: Do not confuse rice wine with rice vinegar – they re NOT the same – and are NOT interchangeable. Rice wine adds a sweetness and depth of flavor. Rice vinegar, on the other hand will add an acidic flavor. I use “[eafl id=”28625″ name=”mirin” text=”Kikkoman Aji-Mirin: Sweet Cooking Rice Seasoning”]” which is commonly found in the Asian section of most grocery stores or you can Amazon it. I highly suggest you google image before you head off to the grocery store so you know exactly what you are looking for. The best substitute for rice wine is pale dry sherry.
- Asian Sweet Chili Sauce: This is one of my favorite ingredients of all time and is often called Thai Sweet Chili Sauce. It is made of chilies, sugar, vinegar and garlic is an addicting balance of sweet and spicy. It’s often used as a dipping sauce for egg rolls but I love to use it in everything. It is a common Asian ingredient and can be found in the Asian aisle at your grocery store.
- Customize heat: I use 4 tablespoons Asian Sweet Chili Sauce and 1 teaspoon sriracha which is perfect for the palates at our house which like more spicy but when I made this dinner for my friend with 3 children under 4, I only used 2 tablespoons Asian Sweet Chili Sauce and omitted the sriracha – so basically, this Mongolian Chicken can be perfectly tailored to everyone so it can be everyone’s favorite fakeout takeout.
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, or until chicken is tender enough to shred then remove to a cutting board to shred. The key to tender chicken is to cook it long enough. If it’s not easily shredding, it simply needs more time to tenderize.
- Add reserved Mongolian Sauce to a small saucepan and whisk in 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch followed by all the liquid from the slow cooker. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until thickened. I have never found success by adding a cornstarch slurry to my slow cooker to try and thicken sauces. Instead of a thickened sauce, I end up with a watery cornstarch flavored sauce. Thickening the sauce on the solves this problem 100%. You get luxuriously rich sauce that is as thick or as thin as you want. For a thicker sauce, simmer longer, for a thinner sauce, simmer for less time.
- Add shredded chicken back to slow cooker along with thickened sauce and let cook an additional 30 minutes on low. This allows the now shredded chicken to absorb the sauce in every nook and cranny, to absorb sauce.
- You can customize the flavor of the Mongolian Chicken Sauce by adding additional Asian Sweet Chili Sauce for more sweet heat, Sriracha for spicier, brown sugar for sweeter if desired.
- You are welcome to add broccoli to steam in the slow cooker after you have shredded your chicken but I like to just steam mine in the microwave for 3 minutes – because then it just takes 3 minutes – or add any cooked veggies to your chicken your heart desires – and I can promise your heart will never desire them 1000x more once bathed in this intoxicating Mongolian sauce.
Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken – stress free and unbelievably delicious for those days when you are juggling a million things or for those nights you want to kick your feet up and stuff your face with fakeout takeout Mongolian Chicken. Win-win.
Looking for more crockpot shredded chicken recipes?
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Honey Lime Chicken
- Slow Cooker Fiesta Ranch Cream Cheese Chicken
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
- Asian Sweet Chili Sesame Chicken
Looking for more Asian recipes?
Want to try this Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken Recipe?
Pin it to your CROCKPOT, ASIAN or CHICKEN Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Carlsbad Cravings Original