CHICKEN FAJITA SOUP ALL MADE IN ONE POT!
This Chicken Fajita Soup is packed with your favorite fajita flavors and ingredients and is SO easy, delicious and comforting! It’s loaded with juicy chicken, bell peppers, rice, black beans, tomatoes, green chilies, pepper Jack Cheese and topped with tortilla chips, avocados, sour cream, etc. This Chicken Fajita Soup also makes fabulous leftovers for lunches/dinner throughout the week! Make room for a new favorite way to devour fajitas with this Chicken Fajita Soup!
If you love everything fajitas, you love my readers favorite chicken fajitas, crockpot chicken fajitas, chicken fajita pasta, pork fajitas, shrimp fajitas, sheet pan salmon fajitas and fajita seasoning!
Easy Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe
One pot + Soup + Mexican food = L.O.V.E.
There are SO many reasons to love this Chicken Fajita Soup, but I will limit them to four letters:
- L is for the fiestalicious LAYERS of fajita seasonings from the cumin, chili powder, garlic, and smoked paprika swimming in the creamy enchilada sauce-like broth that will have your palate begging for more after each slurpful.
- O is for the OVERABUNDANCE of texture and flavor all whipped up entirely in ONE pot! And just when you didn’t think Chicken Fajita Soup could get any better, you pile on all the topping!
- V is for VELVETY, cheesy soup smothered with pepper jack cheese all on your table in 30 Minutes! Maybe V should also stand for VICTORY!
- E is for EAT! Everyone will LOVE this Chicken Fajita Soup and be begging for you to make it again and again!
I am so excited for your whole family to fall in love with this Chicken Fajita Soup. It tastes just like chicken fajitas with a enchilada like broth and is completely comforting, texture packed and flavorlicious!
What Chicken is Best?
You have a couple options when it comes to which chicken to use for this Chicken Fajita Soup:
- Chicken Thighs: I like to use chicken thighs because they are inherently juicier, richer tasting and far more tender than chicken breasts. They are also harder to overcook and stay tender for days with a more palate pleasing texture, even when reheated for leftovers.
- Chicken Breasts: You can also use chicken breasts but make sure not to overcook or they won’t be as juicy and tender.
- Rotisserie Chicken: You can also use shredded rotisserie chicken but you will lose the thinly sliced chicken fajita feel. Still, rotisserie chicken is super convenient and then you don’t have to chop any raw chicken! If you use rotisserie chicken, you will want to add it at the end of cooking, just so it can warm through.
Chicken Fajita Soup Ingredients
- chicken: as previously discussed, you can use chicken thighs or breasts. Take care you slice the chicken the same thickness so it cooks evenly.
- onion: you may substitute fresh onion with 1 teaspoon onion powder.
- garlic: you can substitute fresh garlic with 1 teaspoons garlic powder.
- bell peppers: I like a combination of red orange and yellow for more dynamic flavor but you can use any mix of your favs or what you have on hand.
- flour: you can use gluten free flour for gluten free Chicken Fajita Soup.
- chicken broth: make sure you use low sodium chicken broth so you have some wiggle room with the salt.
- cornstarch: helps thicken the soup without having to add extra butter for a thicker roux.
- seasonings: we make our own fajita seasonings with chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, dried oregano, salt and pepper. If you like spicy soup, you can add some cayenne pepper too.
- black beans: rinse and drain your black beans first. You can may substitute black beans with pinto beans, kidney beans, or cannellini beans.
- crushed tomatoes: make sure you use crushed tomatoes without any added seasonings.
- diced green chilies: use only canned MILD diced green chiles or else your soup will be too hot.
- rice: use long-grained white rice otherwise the rice will take too long to cook which means your chicken and peppers will be overcooked.
- pepper Jack cheese: use freshly grated cheese so it melts seamlessly.
How to Make Chicken Fajita Soup
This Mexican chicken and rice soup is so simple to make! Here are the basic steps:
- Melt butter the butter and olive oil over medium high heat in a large Dutch oven/soup pot.
- Add chicken and onions and sauté.
- Add bell peppers, garlic, flour and all seasonings/spices. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in rice, black beans, green chilies, crushed tomatoes and 3 cans chicken broth. Mix cornstarch with last can chicken broth and add to soup.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until rice is cooked.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Add additional chicken broth/water to thin soup if desired.
- Taste and adjust to to taste by adding salt, pepper, cayenne pepper.
Tips for Making Fajita Soup
- Make it less thick. I love my soup thick BUT the consistency of this Chicken Fajita Soup is totally up to you!. For a thinner soup, simply add additional chicken broth.
- Cheese. Use freshly shredded cheeses as opposed to pre-packaged cheeses so the cheese will melt seamlessly. Packaged cheeses are treated with anti-clumping chemicals which prevents the cheese from melting as well.
- Season to taste. Spice it up with hot sauce or cayenne pepper, add lime juice for tanginess, add salt to enhance the flavors.
Recipe Variations to Try
- Use rotisserie chicken. To make this recipe even easier, skip sautéing the chicken and sub in shredded rotisserie chicken instead. Add the chicken after the pepper jack cheese and warm through.
- Use different proteins. Although this is chicken fajita soup, it would also be tasty with ground turkey or ground beef.
- Make it vegetarian. Want a veggie fajita soup? Omit the chicken and add an extra can of beans.
- Make it spicy. Stir in hot sauce or cayenne pepper to amp up the heat.
- Make it cheesy. This Chicken Fajita Soup recipe only calls for one cup of cheese which adds flavor but doesn’t make it overly cheesy. Feel free to add as much cheese as your belly desires.
- Make it low carb. You can omit the rice and decrease the broth or add extra beans, or cauliflower. To add cauliflower, add about 2 ½ cups bite size cauliflower last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Add other veggies. You can keep the bell peppers and add other vegetables such as corn or swap 1-2 bell peppers for 2 cups corn.
- Swap the cheese. We love the flavor of pepper Jack cheese but you may also use Monterrey Jack or sharp cheddar – or a combination of the two. Keep in mind using a different cheese will altar the flavor profile of the soup. You may also need to add some cayenne pepper to replace some of the kick missing from not using pepper Jack cheese.
Can I make it creamy?
Yes! You can transform this Chicken Fajita Soup into creamy, cheesy, soup by following the same technique I use in my Taco Soup recipe. Simply soften 4 oz. cream cheese then stir it into the soup at the very end of cooking until completely melted.
Can I Prep Chicken Fajita Soup in Advance?
This creamy Mexican chicken and rice soup recipe is very simple but it does require some prep work. You can save time by:
- Trim chicken. Trim off excess fat from chicken then store chicken in an airtight container or freezer bag in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Pep aromatics. Dice onion and mince garlic then store in an separate airtight containers in the refrigerator.
- Slice veggies. Slice the bell peppers and store in an airtight container.
- Measure Spices. It doesn’t take long to measure out the spices, but you can certainly do it beforehand and store the mix in an airtight bag or container.
- Shred cheese. Prep cheese and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How to Store Fajita Soup
Chicken Fajita Soup tastes even better the next day! It will last in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
How to Reheat Chicken Fajita Soup
You can reheat Mexican chicken and rice soup on the stove, in the microwave or crockpot. In each method, you may need to add additional chicken broth or water to thin to desired consistency as it twill thicken in the refrigerator.
- Stove: reheat large batches on the stove over medium low heat, stirring occasionally – about 10 minutes.
- Microwave: transfer individual servings to a microwave-safe dish, cover with a microwave-safe lids or paper towel. Microwave for 2 minutes, stir, then continue to microwave for 30-second intervals, if needed.
- Crockpot: transfer soup to a crockpot and heat on low for 1-3 hours. The time will depend on how much soup you have remaining.
Can I Freeze Chicken Fajita Soup?
I would not recommend freezing Chicken Fajita Soup because both the rice and the bell peppers do not freeze well. Rice turns mushy after freezing and reheating. Bell peppers can be frozen when they are only blanched, or flash-boiled for a few minutes so that the crunch remains, but when they are cooked in a soup like this, they will become mushy upon reheating.
So, the best option is to consume your Chicken Fajita Soup within a few days or share it with your neighbors, they will LOVE you for it! Maybe almost as much as I love this soup.
WHAT GOES WITH Fajita SOUP?
Topping your Chicken Fajita Soup with your favorite garnishes is half of the fun and the most important part for added texture and flavor. You can create a toppings bar and let everyone pile on their favorites of:
- Sour cream: a must in my book! It adds a wonderful creaminess but most importantly, cuts through the richness of the soup. You can also use fat free sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- Tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips: you can’t beat the CRUNCH of salty, chips or strips! You can use store bought or homemade tortilla strips (recipe below) or crushed tortilla chips.
- Cilantro: chopped cilantro adds a fresh, zesty flair.
- Lime juice: you may want to lime up your own bowl as it awakens the flavors of the entire soup. You may use bottled juice or fresh lime juice.
- Avocado: chopped or sliced avocados add a wonderful creaminess.
- Tomatoes: quartered cherry tomatoes or seeded, chopped Roma tomatoes or skip the plain tomatoes and use pico de gallo.
- Pico de gallo: a spoonful of pico de gallo adds a depth of freshness I love.
- Hot sauce: pass around the hot sauce so individuals can customize the heat.
- Sliced jalapeños: a fabulous topping for those who want to add some heat.
Now grab a bowl of southwest comfort food and fall in love with Chicken Fajita Soup! If you love fajita everything, you will also love my Salsa Verde Honey Lime Pork Fajitas, Skillet Chicken Fajitas, Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas, Grilled Steak Fajitas, One Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta and Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas, Sheet Pan Fajita Salmon with Cilantro Lime Butter, and Fajita Chicken Wraps with Creamy Avocado Dip!
Looking for more One Pot Soup Recipes?
- White Chicken Lasagna Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Loaded Zuppa Toscana
- Cheesy Taco Soup
- Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder
- Italian Vegetable Soup
- Tomato Basil Soup
Want to try this Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe?
Pin it to your Soup, Mexican or Dinner Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: