These Chicken Fajita Bowls are better than any restaurant and the marinade does practically all the work!
These Chicken Fajita Bowls are bursting with honey lime chipotle chicken on a bed of Cilantro Lime Rice and Black Beans all topped with creamy Chipotle Sour Cream. Its a flavor, texture bomb in every can’t-stop-eating bite!
Chicken Fajita Bowls
Happy Spring! I always remember the first day of spring because its on my brother’s birthday – March 20th. He would always joke, “Spring began when I was born.” So in honor of my brother, Spencer, I bring you his favorite type of food – Mexican food in the form of these Chicken Fajita Bowls!
Mexican Food conveniently also happens to be one of my favorite foods. In fact, my recipe index is 95% Mexican and Asian food because I can’t get enough of the multidimensional flavors which make me want to close my eyes and savor every last taste upon my tongue. And you will want to savor every last bite of these Chicken Fajita Bowls!
I set off in this Fajita Bowl recipe to create a bowl that was packed with the layered flavors and textures I adore and nothing short of what you would find at your favorite Mexican restaurant – and then some.
So I am just going to say it right now…
These Chicken Fajita bowls are INSANELY DELICIOUS!!! PLEASE MAKE THEM!
I made them twice in one week to fine tune the recipe and I loved every second of it!
About Chicken Fajita Bowls
Chicken Fajita Marinade
I loved every second of anticipation as I whisked together the honey, lime juice, chipotle powder, cumin, smoked paprika and liquid smoke and thought of the chicken soaking up the dynamic spices overnight.
Fajita Vegetable Marinade
I loved every second of anticipation as I whisked in more honey to create the tantalizing fajita vegetable marinade and then added black beans, sweet corn, red onion and bell peppers.
Cilantro Lime Rice
I loved every second of anticipation until it was finally time to cook the Chicken Fajita Bowls, beginning with lime, cumin spiced rice with black beans and cilantro – this rice alone is enough to get excited and rave about! (Note how much of the prep work is done before its time to cook!!! So even though the ingredient list is long, most of the ingredients are spices in the marinade and vegetables prepared hours before you cook.)
I loved every second of anticipation as I cooked my juicy chicken in all its spiced glory until browned and golden and then had a hard time slicing it “pretty” for the pictures because it was oh so tender.
Chipotle Lime Crema
I loved every second of anticipation as I prepared my Chipotle Lime Crema with sour cream, lime juice, chipotle powder and clilantro (I’m drooling all over again!) while my chicken was browning by simply whisking all of the ingredients together.
How to Cook Fajita Vegetables
I loved every second of anticipation as I added my fajita vegetables to the skillet my chicken was cooked in (less pans to clean!) and cooked until just heated through so they would still seep of honey and lime and taste crisp, and fresh.
How to Assemble Chicken Fajita Bowls
I loved every second of anticipation as I layered my bowl with Cilantro Lime Black Bean Rice, Montery Jack Cheese (I love cheesy rice!), crisp Honey Lime Fajita Vegetables, then Honey Lime Fajita Chicken and topped it all with Chipotle Lime Crema.
And finally, I LOVED the moment I shoved the layers and layers of texture and honey lime chipotle flavor into my mouth. Worth every single second of anticipation and preparation…and then some!
TIPS AND TRICK TO MAKE CHICKEN FAJITA BOWLS
- Cast Iron Skillet: A cast iron skillet will give your fajita chicken and vegetables the best sear. If you don’t own a cast iron skillet, make sure your pan is sizzling hot before you add your chicken.
- Liquid Smoke: Liquid smoke adds a wonderful smokey flavor to the chicken as if it has been grilled on an outdoor barbecue over a hot flame. Liquid Smoke can be found next next to the barbecue sauces at your grocery store.
- Chipotle Chili Powder: This spice is ground up dried chipotles and can be found in any grocery store along with the rest of the seasonings. It is sometimes called chipotle chili pepper or chipotle chile powder.
- Bell peppers. You can use whatever combo of peppers you like. You can even add more peppers if you prefer.
- Pineapple. Try adding pineapple to you fajita bowls – it adds a delightful, juicy freshness.
- Rice Cooker. You can cook the Cilantro Lime Rice and black beans in your rice cooker and adjust liquid according to your manufactures directions. Make sure you add thte rice then the correct amount of liquid and then the black beans otherwise the volume of the black beans will throw off the liquid measurement. Substitute the red onion for 1/2 teaspoon onion powder and the garlic for 1 teaspoon garlic powder. Add the cilantro and lime juice once the rice is finished cooking.
- Cheese. Feel free to add either Mexican, sharp or Monterrey cheese to your Chicken Fajita Bowls. I would add the cheese after the right but before the chicken so it is sandwiched in between the hot layers and melt without needing to be microwaved.
- Spice it up or down. If you know you don’t like heat then only use 1 teaspoon chipolte chili powder and omit the cayenne pepper. It it is easy to add spice later with hot sauce but it is hard to tone it done!
- Yogurt Substitute. You can substitute yogurt for the sour cream in the Chipotle Crema and start with less lime juice to taste because yogurt is inherently tangier than sour cream.
WHAT TOPPINGS GO ON CHICKEN FAJITA BOWLS?
I love topping Chicken Fajita Bowls with the Chipolte Lime Crema but you can simply use sour cream if you prefer. Other favorite toppings include:
- Homemade Salsa
- salsa verde
- pico de gallo
- fresh chopped avocados or guacamole
- tortilla chips
I can’t even begin to describe how good these Honey Lime Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowls are…that’s why I had to describe my anticipation, because really, I have no words for the end product! I really hope you don’t get discouraged by the somewhat lengthy list of ingredients. Most of them, really are in the marinade or simply spices and veggies, and its a meal in one so you don’t have to make any side dishes, so…PLEASE MAKE THESE CHICKEN FAJITA BOWLS!!! I know you are going to love them and that would make you happy and that would make me happy that you are happy!
Spring began when Honey Lime Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowls with Chipotle Lime Crema were born in your home. They will make your taste buds come alive!!! xoxox!
Looking for More Fajita Recipes?
- Skillet Chicken Fajitas
- Grilled Steak Fajitas
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
- One Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta
- One Pot Chicken Fajita and Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- Chipotle Honey Lime Chicken Fajita Chicken Bowls
- Sheet Pan Fajita Salmon with Cilantro Lime Butter
- Fajita Chicken Wraps with Creamy Avocado Dip
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: