These Chicken Fajita Wraps make a healthy, quick and easy weeknight dinner or fun make ahead school lunch!
Chicken Fajita Wraps with Creamy Avocado Dip with layers of cheese, black beans, rice, the BEST chicken fajita filling, and sour cream all rolled up then skillet toasted for slightly crispy wraps that are absolutely addicting!!
Thank you Flatout Flatbread for sponsoring this Chicken Fajita Wraps post. All opinions are my own.
Easy Chicken Fajita Wraps
With school back in session, quick, easy and delicious meals are must and even better if most of the work can be done beforehand like my marinated Skillet Chicken Fajitas or Grilled Steak Fajitas, easy prep, quick cook time, and a whole lot of jaw-dropping yum.
And if you haven’t tried my Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas, or Pork Fajitas yet, these have rave reviews and are as easy as dump and run as your home fills with fiestalicious aroma all while you go about your day. Just as easy and delicious are my Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas and Sheet Pan Fajita Salmon with Cilantro Lime Butter with minimal prep, quick cooking time and one pan to clean!
Now even though these fajita recipes are easy, if you have been following me for anytime at all, you know that easy doesn’t equate to bland in my book. In fact, the exact opposite for this fajita chicken. With both the Skillet Chicken Fajitas and the Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas, each spice, each splash of citrus create a harmonious complex blend of Mexican flavors – and all you have to do is throw all the ingredients together.
With all this fajitialicious going on, I wanted to create another fajita option – Chicken Fajita Wraps! – which is actually how I eat my fajita chicken all the time anyway. Usually I would have wrapped up my filling in a tortilla but once I tried them in Flatout Flatbread, they became a new favorite. The flatbread is soft yet thicker than a traditional tortilla so it doesn’t get soggy as you create your fajita cocoon of layers of rice, black beans, fajita chicken, cheese, and dollops of sour cream. I recommend either Flatout Original or Flatout Light and especially Flatout Light if you are looking for an even healthier option because it is high in fiber and has half the calories and half the carbs of two slices of 100% Whole Wheat Bread!
In addition to being a snap to throw together, I love that these wraps are completely customizable – I’ve outlined approximate proportions – but there is no right or wrong way to make your Chicken Fajita Wraps. Feel free to go crazy on the rice if you love rice or just make a cheesy fajita filling wrap, or add plenty of cilantro or refried beans but either way I strongly recommend a thin layer of sour cream or Greek yogut – it makes the wraps delightfully creamy and adds a silky refreshing layer to the hearty, savory chicken.
Now to take make these Chicken Fajita Wraps even more otherworldly delicious, I’ve toasted mine in a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil for just a couple minutes on each side for a slightly crispy, wrap that is primed to dunk in your dreamy, Creamy Avocado Dip.
These quick and easy, crazy delicious Chicken Fajita Wraps also make a fun new lunch idea because they are delicious warm or cold! You can assemble them the night beforehand or morning of, pack in an insulated lunchbox with an ice pack and your kids (or you!) are treated to a favorite wrap in the middle of the maybe monotonous school day. You can even can assemble these wraps whenever convenient and freeze so they are ready to be packed for lunches any time or pulled out for a quick meal. If you are sending to school, you might want to omit the avocado dip and serve with either Homemade Salsa or Salsa Verde, so it doesn’t discolor.
And if you were ever looking for a fast, healthy dinner your entire family would love, I’m pretty sure these Chicken Fajita Wraps are it! An explosion of fieastalicious fajita proportions awaits! And make sure to take a look at Flatout Flatbread for tons more back-to-school lunch wrap ideas HERE.
Ingredients in Chicken Fajita Wraps
These easy chicken fajita wraps come together quickly and easily. Here’s what you’ll need to make them:
- Chicken fajitas: You can make either my skillet chicken fajitas or my slow cooker chicken fajitas as the base for these wraps.
- Olive oil: Use extra virgin olive oil for the best flavor.
- Flatout flatbread: Thicker than a tortilla, so the wraps don’t fall apart!
- Cooked rice: You can use any rice you’d like in these wraps.
- Black beans: Drain and rinse the beans before adding to the wraps.
- Cheddar cheese: I love using sharp cheddar cheese in my healthy chicken fajita wraps, but any cheese will work.
- Sour cream: A must in my book!
- Avocado dip: The creamy avocado dip is made with avocado, sour cream, mayo, milk, lime juice, garlic powder, and salt. Easy!
How to Make Chicken Fajita Wraps
- Make the Fajita Chicken and Vegetables: Cook chicken, onion and bell peppers according to Recipe Directions.
- Make the avocado sauceWhile chicken is marinating or slow cooking, make the avocado sauce. Add all the ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth.
- Assemble the wraps: For each of the wraps, layer approximate ¼ cup rice, 3 tablespoons black beans, ⅓ cup Fajita Chicken and Vegetables, thin layer of sour cream (or dollops are easier), and 3 tablespoons cheese. Tightly roll up Chicken Fajita Wraps.
- Toast the wraps: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add 3 wraps, seam side down and sear on all sides and cook until golden, rotating as the sides brown.
Tips for Making Chicken Fajita Wraps
- Don’t overcook. For the juiciest Chicken Fajitas, don’t overcook the chicken. Use a meat thermometer and cook just to 165 degrees F.
- Let chicken rest. After the chicken is cooked, it is important to let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing. While the chicken cooks, the juices are forced away from the heat to the middle of the protein. The resting time allows for the redistribution and reabsorption of the juices throughout the breast.
- Lime juice to taste. Don’t forget the lime! The lime brightens and enlivens the earthy fajita flavors.
Recipe Variations to Try
- Use a different protein. You can substitute chicken for raw, deveined, shrimp. The shrimp should only be marinated 30 minutes at room temperature and will only take 5 minutes or so to cook – just until opaque.
- Add Veggies. You can add additional veggies or swap some of the bell peppers for veggies such as corn, zucchini, sweet potatoes, etc.
- Corn Salsa. I’m obsessed with sweet, smoky, crunchy, juicy corn salsa. I’ve already used in my pork tacos and think it belongs on everything! OR you can just serve it on the side with some chips.
- Versatile bell peppers. You can use whatever combo of peppers you like. You can even add more peppers if you prefer.
WHAT CAN I PREP AHEAD?
These Chicken Fajita Wraps can be prepped ahead so when it comes time to cook, it’s just 15 minutes to dinner.
- Marinade: Whisk all the marinade ingredients together and either store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or proceed to marinate your chicken.
- Vegetables: Slice your bell peppers and onions and store in an an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours.
- Avocado dip: May be made 4 hours ahead of time and refrigerated in an airtight container.
You can also fully assemble individual wraps up to 24 hours before you plan on enjoying them (great for prepping packed lunches!).
How to Store Mexican Chicken Fajita Wraps
Once assembled, the wraps should be eaten within 24 hours. However, the chicken fajita filling can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. All other toppings should be stored in separate containers.
HOW TO REHEAT CHICKEN FAJITA Wraps
- Microwave: transfer fajita wraps to a microwave safe plate. Microwave for 60 seconds then at 20 second intervals as needed.
- Skillet: warm fajita wraps in a skillet on the stove top over medium heat, stirring often until warmed through.
CAN I FREEZE CHICKEN FAJITA Wraps?
Yes, you may assemble, toast, and let the wraps cool before freezing them. They’ll last up to 3 months and can be reheated (from frozen) in the oven or microwave.
What to Serve with Chicken Fajita Wraps
- Chips and salsa. Every Mexican recipe needs chips and salsa! Up your salsa game with homemade salsa, grilled corn salsa, pineapple salsa, mango salsa, or avocado corn salsa.
- Rice: is a must-have side for any Mexican recipe. We love serving these Chicken Fajita Wraps with cilantro lime rice, Mexican rice, or avocado rice. You can also serve with quinoa, or low carb cauliflower rice.
- Salads: salad is always a win and a great way to stretch your Fajita Wraps if you’re serving a crowd. These fajitas pair well with: southwest salad, corn salad, or southwest orzo salad.
- Veggies: I HIGHLY encourage you to go with authentic elote (Mexican Grilled Street Corn) – you will not regret it! Other alternatives include grilled corn on the cob, baked asparagus, roasted broccoli, roasted potatoes, roasted cauliflower.
- Fruit: you can keep it simple and serve this Chicken Fajita Wrap recipe with watermelon or grapes or any of these fabulous options: pina colada fruit salad, fruit salad with honey lime vinaigrette, grape salad, summer fruit salad or caramelized grilled pineapple.
- Carbs: add some green chiles and or/ jalapenos to my sweet cornbread recipe and watch it disappear (one of my all-time favorite recipes I bring to everything!) or my corn casserole is always a hit.
Looking for More Mexican Chicken Recipes?
- Arroz con Pollo
- Salsa Verde Honey Lime Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Caldo de Pollo
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken Fajita Soup
- Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Easy Mexican Chicken
- All of my Mexican recipes!
Want to try these Chicken Fajita Wraps with Creamy Avocado Dip?
Pin it to your STEAK, GRILL, or ASIAN Board to SAVE for later!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES! I AM ALWAYS PINNING :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Tools Used in This RecipeSee Favorite Tools
Chicken Fajita Wraps with Creamy Avocado Dip
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
Choose your favorite chicken recipe:
Chicken Fajita Wraps
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package Flatout Flatbread (I use Multi-grain with Flax)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Fajita Chicken and Vegetables: Cook Chicken, onion and bell peppers according to Recipe Directions.
- While chicken is marinating or slow cooking, make the Avocado Crema. Add all the Crema ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth, scraping sides down as needed. May make 4 hours ahead of time and refrigerate in an airtight container.
- For each of the wraps, layer approximate ¼ cup rice, 3 tablespoons black beans, ⅓ cup Fajita Chicken and Vegetables, thin layer of sour cream (or dollops are easier), and 3 tablespoons cheese. Feel free to play with the ratios per personal preference. Tightly roll up Chicken Fajita Wraps.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add 3 wraps, seam side down and sear on all sides and cook until golden, rotating as the sides brown. Repeat with remaining wraps. Serve with Avocado Crema.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
Carlsbad Cravings© Original