- 2 chicken breasts chopped into bite size(approx.1 pound)
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 3tablespoons pesto, divided
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1cup sliced carrots
- 1cup zucchini, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1cup uncooked orzo
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 114.5 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1teaspoon chicken bouillon, optional*
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4teaspoon salt*
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1/4teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley
Heat olive oil in a large NONSTICK pan over medium high heat until very hot. Toss chicken with 1 tablespoon pesto and add to pan along with onions, carrots and zucchini. Sauté for three minutes then add red bell pepper, orzo and garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
Stir in crushed tomatoes, 2 tablespoons pesto, chicken broth, chicken bouillon and seasonings. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 8-12 minutes, or until vegetables and orzo are tender, stirring every 5 minutes so the orzo doesn’t burn, covering pot after each stir.
Stir in Parmesan cheese. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Garnish with fresh Parmesan and parsley (optional).