Pineapple Salsa made even more delicious by grilling the pineapple, red bell peppers, red onions AND jalapeno! Possibly the best sweet and smokey salsa E-V-E-R!
This easy Pineapple Salsa recipe makes everything better! It’s made with fresh pineapple, red bell peppers, red onions, jalapeños, cilantro and lime juice. You can serve it as an appetizer or snack with chips, on top of your favorite grilled chicken, fish, or steak or on top of your favorite tacos!
Pineapple Salsa Recipe
While we all love our Homemade Restaurant-Style Salsa and Salsa Verde, there is something magical about Pineapple Salsa — Grilled Pineapple Salsa! I have to admit, it wasn’t until last year that I started grilling. I somehow thought it would take some time to master and I was already very comfortable in my kitchen, but once I started grilling, I couldn’t stop!
If you have never grilled before, it is SO easy and there is no clean up. That might be my favorite part if it wasn’t for the fact that practically everything tastes better grilled, including this grilled pineapple salsa.
I have made pineapple salsa before (like in my first recipe every posted — my Hawaiian BBQ Taquitos — still one of my favs!) and even seen grilled pineapple salsa recipes before, but never have I seen a pineapple salsa that not only grills the pineapple, but the red bell peppers, red onions and jalapeno as well. Until now…
The pineapple caramelizes as it grills, softening, sweetening and transforming into the most healthy addictive fruit known to wo-man. The heat of the jalapeños is complemented by the grilled smokiness and the natural enhanced sweetness of the red bell peppers and onions that can only occur by grilling. Dice the pineapple, red bell peppers, onion and jalapeño and toss with freshly chopped cilantro, lime juice and a dash of ginger and cumin — add in some jalapeño seeds for more heat if desired…
And sweet and smoky Grilled Pineapple Salsa is begging for you to eat with your fingers, with chips and guacamole, to top your favorite chicken/fish or adorn your Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Tacos that everyone won’t stop talking about (that recipe coming this week) along with Mexican Rice and/or Cilantro Lime Rice.
Grilled Pineapple Salsa. The one condiment that outshines the entree – every time. Perfect for grilling season. Perfect for summer. Perfect for a refreshingly delicious life.
Pineapple Salsa Ingredients
This pineapple jalapeño salsa couldn’t be simpler to make! Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Pineapple: Make sure you use a ripe pineapple for juicy, sweet freshness.
- Red bell pepper: I use red bell pepper because it is sweeter than other colors, but feel free to substitute for whatever color bell pepper you have on hand.
- Red onion: I like the fresh pop of red onion but you may also use green onions.
- Jalapeño: Remove the seeds and the white veins of your jalapeño to scale back the spice levels.
- Fresh cilantro: Adds a bright, fresh, citrusy pop of flavor. You can use more or less to taste.
- Lime juice: You can use fresh or bottled lime juice and use more or less to taste
- Spices: Ground cumin and ground ginger really liven up this pineapple salsa.
- Olive oil: You just need a drizzle of oil for grilling the fruit and veggies.
- Green onions or another variety of onion can be used in place of the red onion.
- Fresh pineapple is a must for this recipe. Canned pineapple is often packed in syrup (making it far too sweet for salsa) and doesn’t grill well.
- Any color bell pepper will work in this recipe. Red is the sweetest, with yellow and orange being the next sweetest. Green bell peppers are the strongest in flavor.
How to Make Pineapple Salsa
The extra time spent grilling the pineapple and veggies for this salsa is so worth it!
- Drizzle the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño with olive oil.
- Grill pineapple and vegetables at medium high heat until tender and lightly charred all over (I prefer grilling the red onion on a skewer).
- Dab off any excess oil with paper towels from the grilled vegetables and chop the pineapple, red bell peppers, and onions. Devein and deseed the jalapeño and dice.
- Toss all the pineapple jalapeño salsa ingredients together and serve immediately or chill for later.
Tips for Making Pineapple Salsa
- I recommend slicing the pineapple into rings and grilling with the core intact (rather than slicing, removing the core, and then grilling). This way, the pineapple rings are super sturdy and can be flipped easily on the grill.
- Thread the red onion chunks onto skewers for easier grilling.
- Be careful not to touch your face after handling the grilled jalapeño. You don’t want any of the pepper juice to get on your skin or in your eyes!
Pineapple Salsa Variations
- Add avocado: Chop and add just before serving. Use avocados that are ripe but on the firmer side so they don’t get mushy in the salsa. If you add avocados, keep in mind the leftovers will not keep for as long or as well because the avocados will brown and get mushy.
- Add black beans: Rinse and drain one 15 oz. can black beans. Black beans will drastically change the flavor profile of your pineapple jalapeño salsa into a hearty, savory salsa.
- Make it a meal: Add chopped cooked chicken, rotisserie chicken, chopped pork, salmon etc. to make this salsa a full meal.
How to Prep Pineapple Salsa in Advance
Because pineapple is a bit sturdier than other summer fruits, you’re fine to prep this pineapple salsa 24 hours in advance. Just note that the veggies and pineapple will soften slightly over time.
How to Store Pineapple Salsa
You can store pineapple jalapeño salsa up to 4 days in an airtight container in your refrigerator, but be aware that the fruit and veggies will become increasingly soft and change the texture of the salsa.
Can You Freeze Pineapple Salsa?
No, this fresh fruit salsa doesn’t freeze well.
What to Serve with Pineapple Salsa
This pineapple jalapeño salsa pairs well with so many dishes! Here are a few of my faves:
- Cajun Salmon
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp Tacos
- Chile Lime Chicken Tacos
- Shrimp Burrito Bowls
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Chipotle Chicken
- Grilled Steak Fajitas
- Carne Asada
Looking for More Pineapple Recipes?
- Pina Colada Fruit Salad
- Watermelon Pineapple Fruit Salad
- Perfect Fruit Salad with Citrus Honey Dressing
- Caramelized Grilled Pineapple with Brown Sugar Orange Glaze
- Caramel Pork Tacos with Pineapple Snow Pea Slaw
- Pineapple Peanut Chicken Satay
- Pineapple Chicken
- Pineapple Fried Rice
Carlsbad Cravings© Original