Avocado Crema takes just 5 minutes to make and makes everything better!
This Avocado Crema recipe is one of the simplest recipes I’ve ever posted but one of the most sensational. It is lusciously creamy, tangy, salty and OBSESSIVE worthy! It is made with avocado, sour cream or Greek yogurt, mayo, lime juice, salt, cumin and garlic powder. These handful of ingredients transform into the silky flavorful Avocado Crema that is amazing with any of your favorite Mexican foods (tacos, fajitas, enchiladas) or as a dip with chips, veggies, pitas, or as a spread on wraps, sandwiches, burgers, etc. – the possibilities are as endless as the deliciousness!
Avocado Crema Recipe
If you have been following me for long, you know I LOVE Mexican food and I LOVE my Avocado Crema to go with it. It is my go-to topping for all my tacos and other Mexican dishes not only because it takes less than five minutes to make but because it is fabulous!!
I’ve already posted my Avocado Crema recipe in my Chili Pork Tacos, Chili Lime chicken Tacos, Blackened Fish Tacos, California Burritos, Carne Asada Fries, Chicken Fajita Wrap recipes, so I figured it was time this sensational Avocado Crema gets its very own post. Because its deliciousness shouldn’t just be limited to the aforementioned recipes – it belongs on ALL your Mexican recipes!
Both Patrick and I prefer this Avocado Crema hands down to guacamole or just avocados. Here’s just a few reasons we are in LOVE:
- Avocado Crema is not only perfect for tacos, but nachos, fajitas, burrito bowls (my fav), quesadillas, taquitos, tostadas – basically anything you want to up the YUM factor by 1000%.
- It’s SO creamy with just the right hint of lime, salt and seasonings.
- It’s rich yet fresh, bright, tangy, salty, smooth and get-in-my-mouth DE-lish.
- The cool refreshing creaminess of the Avocado Crema against robust Mexican seasonings not only brightens every dish but its silky texture marries all the components together.
- You can leave it as is or dress it up with all sorts of add-ins such as cilantro, jalapeno, pico de gallo, etc. We personally love it in its simplicity (and ease!).
So, if you haven’t tried this Avocado Crema yet, please buy an avocado this week and try it as soon as possible – you will fall in love!
INGREDIENTS FOR AVOCADO CREMA
- Avocado: you will need one medium avocado for the Avocado Crema – not a large Haas avocado. Take care your avocado is ripe so it blends to silky perfection. Unripe avocados will leave you with hard chunks and a grassy flavored crema – no bueno!
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt: I personally prefer sour cream in this Avocado Crema recipe, but you can use either with delicious results. You can also use fat -free products with wonderfully creamy results. If you go the yogurt route, take care to use Greek yogurt as regular yogurt is not nearly as thick.
- Lime Juice: you can use fresh or bottled lime juice and use more or less to taste.
- Seasonings: garlic powder, ground cumin, and salt will do the trick. After your Avocado Crema has chilled, you can taste and add more seasonings to taste if desired or some cayenne pepper for heat.
HOW CAN I TELL IF AN AVOCADO IS RIPE?
The star of this Avocado Crema recipe is the avocado, so it is important to start with a beautifully ripe avocado for maximum flavor and creamy consistency. Here are some tips and tricks to select ripe avocados:
- Color: For ripe avocados, dark is better, look for the darkest green- turning purple colored skins.
- Touch: Always test avocados ripeness by touch. You want the avocado to just give slightly when pressed. If an avocado feels firm or hard to your touch, it isn’t ripe yet. Purchase it only if you plan to use the fruit several days in the future. The harder an avocado is, the longer it will take to ripen. If the avocado feels soft, it’s overripe and likely has many brown spots, so avoid it.
HOW TO RIPEN AVOCADOS QUICKLY
To ripen avocados more quickly – so you can enjoy your Avocado Crema NOW – add them to a brown bag with a banana or apple. These fruits release a lot of ethylene which triggers ripening in the avocados.
How to Make Avocado Crema
Are you ready for how EASY this Avocado Crema recipe is?!
Step 1: Add ingredients
Add avocado, sour cream, lime juice, cumin, salt and garlic powder to your blender.
Step 2: Blend
Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. You can add milk, a little at a time if desired for a thinner crema – I usually don’t do this when using as a crema.
Step 3: Chill
Cover and refrigerate Avocado Crema for at least 30 minutes. If you taste the crema right after blending you will be disappointed – it needs time to chill for the flavors to meld and for the actual temperature to chill – no one wants warm crema!
Avocado Crema Variations
Avocado Crema provides a fabulous base for all sorts of add-ins. Here are a few ideas:
- Jalapeno: Avocado Crema is not meant to be spicy so it can complement any dish BUT you are welcome to add heat in the form of jalapenos or cayenne pepper if you wish.
- Cilantro: add as little or as much as you desire for a fresh, zesty pop.
- Cotija cheese: is a Hispanic-style cheese and is wonderfully salty, hard, and crumbly. You will want to omit the salt in the recipe and add salt to taste if adding Cotija.
- Homemade Salsa: spices up the crema with TONS of flavor.
- Pico de Gallo: will change the texture of the Avocado Crema to chunky and silky but adds wonderful pops of freshness.
- Salsa Verde: is essentially adding roasted tomatillos, garlic, jalapeno, onions to your Avocado Crema for another flavor bomb.
- Pesto: mixes up the flavor profile with more Italian an flair.
- Sun-dried Tomatoes: adds robust tanginess.
- Roasted Red peppers: adds smoky, sweet notes.
WILL AVOCADO CREMA TURN BROWN?
This Avocado Crema can be made and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days IF you transfer the crema to an airtight container and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the crema before adding the lid. This will delay oxidization/browning that occurs when the surface of the dip/avocado come in contact with air.
The lime juice will also prevent the Avocado Crema from discoloring too much, but within the 3 days the very top layer will darken slightly. I only notice a slight change in color as I stir the crema around. A change in color of the crema isn’t bad, it simply means the dip is oxidizing.
HOW TO SERVE AVOCADO CREMA
This Avocado Dip is as versatile as guacamole – and then some. Here are a few ideas:
- Anything Mexican: add a dollop to tacos, burritos, quesadillas, tostadas, fajitas, burrito bowls, nachos, taquitos, carne asada, carnitas, – simply anything you would use guacamole or sour cream for, try this Avocado Crema!
- Spread: serve it slathered on sandwiches, burgers, wraps or toast.
- Dip: serve it with chips like you would guacamole, pitas like you would hummus, or raw vegetables such as carrots broccoli, cucumbers, snap peas or bell peppers. It is even divine with roasted vegetables such as broccoli or cauliflower.
- Dressing: transform Avocado Crema into a creamy avocado dressing by thinning with water and a little olive oil. Serve the dressing on green salads, pasta salads, potato salads. etc.
- Sauce: Avocado Crema can also be thinned with water to create a creamy avocado sauce for pasta, rice, zoodles, spaghetti squash, cauliflower rice, quinoa, potatoes, etc.
- Breakfast: I love Avocado Crema on plain eggs, chorizo eggs, breakfast tacos, breakfast taquitos, breakfast enchiladas, huevos rancheros, etc.
IS AVOCADO CREMA HEALTHY?
The main ingredient in Avocado Crema is the avocado. Avocados are a great source of monounsaturated fat which help to keep you feeling full longer and counteracts bad cholesterol (LDL’s). They are also chock full of vitamins, minerals, and are a good source of fiber. Some studies have shown they can reduce inflammation, diabetes, and help prevent some cancers.
For an even healthier dip, you can substitute nonfat Greek yogurt in place of sour cream.
LOOKING FOR MORE AVOCADO RECIPES?
- Avocado Hummus
- Avocado Dip
- Avocado Pasta
- Tomatillo Avocado Ranch
- Avocado Cilantro Lime Rice
- Southwest Salad with Salsa Avocado Dressing
- Avocado Southwest Egg Rolls
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Taco Stuffed Avocados
- Strawberry Avocado Pasta Salad
Want to try this Avocado Crema RECIPE?
Pin it to your Mexican, Avocado or Condiments Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Carlsbad Cravings© Original