Breakfast Enchiladas = comforting, cheesy Mexican food for breakfast!
Easy, hearty Breakfast Enchiladas stuffed with your favorite breakfast ingredients then smothered with delicious Creamy Salsa Sauce! These enchiladas are totally customizable, perfect for your leftover holiday ham AND you can assemble the night before and bake the next day. but most importantly, they are lick your plate fantastic!
Make Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas!
Mexican food + breakfast = Breakfast Enchiladas! Savory food is my happy place and savory, hearty, cheesy, Mexican food – better yet – enchiladas for breakfast – is my happier place! I think these Breakfast Enchiladas will make you and your family very happy too.
These Breakfast Enchiladas are a fabulous make-ahead casserole, perfect to satisfy hungry morning guests or a kitchen full of hungry kiddo bellies. They are always a crow pleaser and will keep free you from flipping pancakes, waffles or crepes to actually sitting down and enjoying your friends and family. Simply prep the Breakfast Enchiladas the night before and wake up to their stress-free, no-hassle morning glory.
What Ingredients For Breakfast Enchiladas?
These Breakfast Enchiladas are the best way gobble up your leftover ham! And even though my Brown Sugar Glazed Ham and Baked Ham with Cider Maple Glaze are incredible, you will likely have leftovers. And hopefully enough leftovers for both these Breakfast Enchiladas and my White Bean Ham Tortellini Soup that’s out of this world. So ration accordingly. Or buy more ham.
I chose to stuff my breakfast enchiladas with ham, Pepper Jack and Sharp cheeses, bell peppers, homemade salsa, green onions and tater tots but you can swap out the ham for bacon, swap out tater tots for hash browns, etc., – the possibilities are endless! As long as you keep the cheese and salsa, you really can’t go wrong. And if you choose tater tots, you will be so, so right…
The tater tots selection was inspired by my recent California Carne Asada Burrito at Bull Taco that was overflowing with tater tots instead of the typical French Fries – incredible. The tater tots stay crispier than fries or hash browns, so I highly recommend them – and it gives you the excuse to buy tater tots! I think its been over a decade since I baked up a package of those happy little morsels. Loooong overdue.
Breakfast Enchilada Variations
There are endless ways to customize your Breakfast Enchiladas, here are a few ideas:
- roasted potatoes. swap the tater tots for roasted potatoes by tossing bite size cubed potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper and spread in an even layer. Roast for 25-35 minutes, or until fork tender.
- hash browns: swap the tater tots for hash browns, season with salt and pepper and cook according to package directions.
- breakfast sausage, chorizo or turkey sausage: swap the ham for any type of ground meat and cook with onions and bell peppers if desired.
- eggs: add soft scrambled eggs! You’ll want to season with plenty of salt and pepper. You can add eggs in place of another ingredient or just add to the goodies.
- vegetables: fire roasted tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, bell peppers, asparagus, would all be delicious!
- beans: add black beans, white beans or refried beans
- other: green chiles, olives, avocados, anything you can dream up!
Moral of the story – stuff your enchiladas with YOUR Favorite fillings to make YOUR favorite Breakfast Enchiladas!
How to Make Breakfast Enchiladas
Breakfast Enchiladas are super easy to make! You get to pick your favorite breakfast ingredients, stuff them in tortillas, roll up the tortillas, smother in Creamy Salsa Sauce, top with cheese and bake to bubbly, golden perfection.
The Creamy Salsa Sauce is what makes these the BEST Breakfast Enchiladas. You will want to drink it, but try and resist because it gets even more delish when its cradling enchiladas.
The Creamy Salsa Sauce is made by cooking some flour with butter tot create roux then stirring in chicken broth followed by ground cumin, chili powder, onion powder, sour cream and salsa.
What to Serve with Breakfast Enchiladas?
Now all that’s left to do is top these Breakfast Enchiladas with your favorite garnishes – tomatoes, avocado, guacamole, cilantro, sour cream, olives etc. We like to serve them with fresh fruit like cantaloupe, strawberries, grapes or pineapple, or you can even serve them with simple fruit salad.
HOW TO MAKE AHEAD
To make Breakfast Enchiladas the night before:
- Make Creamy Salsa Sauce according to directions. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Fill and roll enchiladas and place in a 9×13 baking dish according to directions with a thin layer of salsa sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- When ready to bake, thin salsa sauce with some milk (it will thicken in the refrigerator, and heat in the microwave or on the stove.
- Pour sauce all over stuffed tortillas and top with cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees F or until heated through.
HOW TO REHEAT BREAKFAST ENCHILADAS?
Microwave: If you want to reheat a small portion of Breakfast Enchiladas, then place serving(s) on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 90 seconds then for 30 second intervals if needed until heated through.
Oven: To reheat the entire pan or if baking for the first time after assembling then night before, cover pan with foil and bake at 350 degrees F until heated through, approximately 35 minutes.
HOW LONG ARE BREAKFAST ENCHILADAS GOOD FOR?
Breakfast Enchiladas should be covered tightly in plastic wrap or foil and stored in the refrigerator. When stored correctly, these enchiladas are good for about 5 days.
CAN I FREEZE BREAKFAST ENCHILADAS?
I do not recommend freezing these Breakfast Enchiladas due to the dairy in the creamy salsa sauce is it tends to separate.
If you want to make freezer friendly enchiladas, then substitute the creamy sauce with either red or green enchilada sauce.
Also be aware that the tortillas can soften in texture when frozen, so if have texture connoisseurs at your house, you may want to skip freezing altogether.
Now dig in – any time of day…breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Breakfast Enchiladas, so you devour satisfyingly delicious cheesy Mexican food for breakfast. happy. day. and Happy Merry Christmas Eve!!!
Looking for more Enchilada Recipes?
- Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- Barbacoa Beef Enchiladas
- Enchiladas Verdes
- Salsa Verde Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Jalapeno Chicken Enchiladas
- Chipotle Mango Black Bean Chicken Enchiladas
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like these breakfast recipes: