Thank you USA Pulses and Pulse Canada for sponsoring this Cajun Chicken Black Bean Bowl post. All opinions are my own.
30 Minute Cajun Chicken Black Bean Bowls are spicy, fresh, healthy and crazy delicious!
These Cajun Chicken Black Bean Bowls are practically perfect in every way. Not only are they deceptively healthy, they are made in one skillet (and one microwave bowl if we are getting technical), quick and easy, packed with flavor, bursting with fresh ingredients and on your table in less than 30 minutes! They make fabulous make ahead meals, reheat beautifully and are restaurant quality delicious!
We’ve had our fun with our Game Day recipes, but I am ready for real life food, how about you?! And when I say real life food, I mean healthier food that is easy to make, uses accessible ingredients you can feel good about eating, and actually want to eat – enter these flavor exploding, protein packed Cajun Chicken Black Bean Bowls! Because healthy doesn’t have to be boring! Or just a salad.
If you are looking for simple ways to eat healthier in the New Year in addition to these Cajun Chicken Bowls – because I know they are goooooood, but you will eventually not want to eat them everyday – then just add pulses! What’s a pulse you might ask? Pulses are the delicious, protein-packed, sustainable foods known as dry peas, chickpeas, lentils and beans that can help you maintain a healthy weight and improve overall well being. Pulses also are one of the most cost-effective proteins around at approximately 10 cents/per serving.
I know sometimes the biggest struggle in healthy eating is finding recipe inspiration – it can seem overwhelming or take too much time or effort. But what if you could receive recipe emails featuring pulses – for FREE?! Like this gorgeous Roasted Cauliflower with Chickpeas and Pomegranates recipe! That is where the Half-Cup Habit comes in.
The Half-Cup Habit makes it simple to add the recommended 1 ½ cups of pulses per week (or ½ cup three times per week) to your diet with monthly FREE recipes, tips and shopping lists for stress free healthy meal planning! Check it out HERE. The new You won’t regret it!
They also won’t regret these Cajun Chicken Black Bean Bowls! These healthy bowls are brimming with multi-dimensional flavors and textures with kickin’ Cajun Spice in every bite. They are loaded with zippy chicken…
Fire roasted tomatoes and hearty black beans (yay for pulses!),
Tender sweet potatoes and crunchy bell peppers,
Creamy avocado and fresh, sweet pineapple! This recipe warms, comforts and satisfies but is still fresh at the same time AKA it hits all my favorite notes for a meal! Patrick was also a HUGE fan, this is one of his new favorite recipes!
How to Customize these Cajun Chicken Bowls
These Cajun Chicken Bowls are on the spicy side as you would expect something “Cajun spiced” to be. If you would like them less spicy then leave out the cayenne pepper and/or use less of the Homemade Cajun Seasoning throughout the recipe.
As far as the ingredients go, many of them are customizable – swap the bell peppers for zucchini, the sweet potatoes for rice, or russet potatoes etc. add avocados or guacamole but I would NOT recommend leaving out the fresh fruit component. You can substitute the pineapple with mango but you need either need mango or pineapple. The sweetness of the fruit cuts through and compliments the heat of the Cajun spice – these bowls are not the same without it – and crazy delicious with it. I vote crazy delicious.
WANT TO TRY THESE CAJUN CHICKEN Bowls?
Pin them to your CHICKEN, DINNER, 30 MINUTE MEAL Board to save for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Tools Used in This Recipe
Cajun Chicken Bowls with Avocado, Black Beans & Sweet Potatoes
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped into 1” pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 large sweet potato/garnet yam (approx. 1 pound) chopped into 1/2“ cubes
- 2 bell peppers (any color combo) chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 15 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can diced fire roasted tomatoes drained
- 1/2 fresh pineapple chopped, or more to taste
- 2 Avocadoes peeled, pitted, sliced or chopped
- Fresh parsley for garnish
Cajun Spice Mix
- 1 1/2 tsp EACH smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1 tsp EACH salt, brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp EACH dried oregano, dried thyme , pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 tablespoon sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- Add sweet potatoes to a microwave safe dish along with ¼ cup water. Cover and microwave 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the Citrus Mix in a small bowl. Set aside.
- While the chicken is still on the cutting board, pat it very dry. Mix together the Cajun Spice Mix in a small bowl. Remove 1 tablespoon Mix (for potatoes/beans) and add remaining Mix to the chicken. Toss until evenly coated.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add chicken in an even layer and let cook undisturbed for 1-2 minutes/until seared. Flip chicken over and cook another 1-2 minutes until seared then add 2 tablespoons Citrus Mix. Reduce heat to medium-high and continue to cook and stir until chicken is cooked through, approximately 2 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Wipe out skillet. Add one tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon Citrus Mix and heat over medium high heat. Add sweet potatoes, bell pepper and ½ tablespoon Cajun Spice Mix. Stir until evenly combined then pat into a single layer. Let cook approximately 2 minutes, until potatoes begin to char then continue to cook another 1-2 minutes until potatoes are fork tender. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Add black beans, fire roasted tomatoes, remaining Citrus Mix and remaining Cajun Mix to skillet over medium high heat. Cook for 2 minutes until warmed through.
- Divide black beans/tomatoes, chicken and potatoes/peppers between 4 bowls (more or less) along with avocado, pineapple and fresh parsley.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
Carlsbad Cravings© Original