This Carrot Bundt Cake is filled with an irresistible cream cheese filling AND it’s topped with an orange-cream cheese glaze. Perfect for the holidays!
Super moist, spiced Carrot Bundt Cake stuffed with sweet cream cheese filling and drizzled with sweet and tangy Orange Cream Cheese Glaze that will have you drinking it straight from the bowl.
Easy Carrot Bundt Cake Recipe
There are many reasons I get excited for spring, but one of the main ones is Carrot Cake! I looooove Carrot Cake in every form from my Carrot Cake Cookies to Carrot Cake with Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting to Carrot Cake Crepes, I just can’t get enough – so I’m bringing you this epic Carrot Cake stuffed with Cream Cheese!
So I really love you guys. I made this homemade carrot cake 3 times this week (not counting the time I forgot the flour – it’s been that kind of week), to create the perfect carrot cake that’s super moist without being oily, spiced to perfection with hints of orange, and with a surprise sweet cream cheese filling.
The dreamy cream cheese layer is like a little slice of cheesecake nestled in between the layers of cake and is as easy as drizzling it over the batter, then topping it with the rest of the batter.
And after it bakes, a delectably delicious surprise awaits your happy eaters. Very happy eaters.
The cream cheese layer is nestled in a shell of moist carrot cake spiced with allspice, nutmeg and a generous douse of cinnamon brightened by a splash of orange extract. The pecans are coarsely ground so they are perfectly dispersed throughout the cake and add to the moistness created by the use of rich brown sugar, oil and yogurt.
I tried this cake with just oil, and it didn’t want to cook all the way through. So I tried it with less oil and it was still missing something. Finally, I tried it with a combination of oil and yogurt (which always adds moistness), and it so moist, so flavorful, and just so right.
Due to the high sugar content in this cake, the outside of the cake caramelizes and wants to stick to your pan, so be sure to use a nonstick cooking spray that has flour in it or to butter and flour your pan. I prefer to use butter and cocoa powder to dust my pan so the cocoa powder blends right into the cake and caramelizes for a slightly crunchy exterior that is one of my favorite parts of the cake.
But not my only favorite part of the cake. I can have multiple favorites, right? The Orange Cream Cheese Glaze is
My goodness, its ridiculous. The tang of cream cheese, the bright citrus of the orange juice, lemon juice, and orange extract all sweetened by powdered sugar.
The whole thing. The cream cheese filling, the orange glaze, the spiced carrot cake. Ridiculous.
Now go make this Cream Cheese Stuffed Carrot Cake with Orange Glaze so you can feel my love and please have a very Happy Easter! (To read my Easter address, click HERE)
Carrot Bundt Cake Ingredients
Making carrot cake from scratch is easier than you’d think! Here are the carrot cake ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Carrots: To make a really moist carrot cake, you need to grate your own carrots. The pre-shredded kind in a bag are often bone dry.
- All-purpose flour: Spoon and level the flour when measuring it to avoid baking a super dense homemade carrot cake.
- Sugar: I used a blend of granulated sugar and brown sugar to sweeten the batter and add some moisture.
- Pecans: I bought a bag of raw pecans and chopped them up using my food processor.
- Baking powder and baking soda: The carrot bundt cake batter is quite thick, so you need both baking powder and baking soda to help the cake rise in the oven.
- Salt: Balances out the sweetness of the batter and enhances the spice flavor.
- Spices: I used a blend of cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Yum!
- Eggs: Need to be at room temperature before being mixed into the batter.
- Vegetable oil: Canola oil would work well here too.
- Vanilla Greek yogurt: Adds moisture, flavor, and a little sweetness. Use full-fat Greek yogurt.
- Vanilla and orange extracts: So much flavor! You can find orange extract in the baking aisle right next to the vanilla extract.
- Cream cheese: Use full-fat cream cheese that comes in a brick.
- Lemon juice: Gets mixed into the cream cheese filling to add some tang.
- Powdered sugar: Be sure to sift it, otherwise your cream cheese glaze will be lumpy.
- Orange juice: Gets mixed into the glaze to amp up the orange flavor.
- Butter: Just a few tablespoons are added to the glaze to make it ultra creamy.
How to Make Carrot Bundt Cake
Make the cream cheese filling. Beat together the filling ingredients, then set aside.
Make the cake batter. Stir together the dry ingredients, then add the wet. Fold the shredded carrots in last.
Assemble the cake. Spoon 3 cups batter into prepared bundt cake pan. Spoon Cream Cheese Filling over batter and gently smooth, but do not touch the sides of the pan. Top with remaining batter.
Bake. Bake the carrot cake from scratch until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes in pan before inverting.
Glaze. Once the carrot bundt cake has cooled COMPLETELY, whisk together the orange-cream cheese glaze and drizzle liberally over the cake.
Tips for the Best Ever Carrot Cake
- To easily shred carrots, use the grater on your food processor. If you don’t have the grater blade, you can also finely chop in your food processor.
- When “flouring” my pan, I use cocoa powder instead of flour because the cake is brown.
- Your cream cheese layer may not be as thick as the picture all the way around — I chose the thickest slice 🙂
Recipe Variations to Try
- Use different nuts. I used pecans, but chopped walnuts would also work.
- Omit the orange. I think this homemade carrot bundt cake is AMAZING as is, but if you’re not a huge orange fan you can try omitting the orange extract. Maybe bump up the vanilla extract in the batter to make up for it.
- Skip the glaze. Again, I LOVE the orange-cream cheese glaze, but for a simpler homemade carrot cake you could simply dust with powdered sugar and serve as is.
How to Store Carrot Bundt Cake
Homemade carrot cake can be covered with a cake dome and refrigerated for up to 4 days. Because the filling and glaze contain dairy, this cake must be refrigerated.
Can You Freeze Carrot Cake?
Yes! Don’t you love a dessert you can make beforehand and freeze and simply pull it out a few hours before it’s time to dig in? This method makes dessert time stress free for everyone – especially during the holidays.
To freeze your carrot bundt cake:
- If you are planning on freezing, then prep/glaze your cake on a freezer safe plate/platter.
- Place glazed carrot cake in the freezer until it is firm to the touch.
- Once firm, wrap tightly in plastic wrap then repeat with a second layer of plastic wrap. Next wrap tightly in 1-2 layers of foil until completely sealed.
- If you are freezing individual slices, then place these plastic/foil wrapped slices in a freezer bag. If you are freezing your entire carrot bundt cake for an extended period of time, then secure the aluminum foil with freezer tape to prevent freezer burn.
- You can store your homemade carrot cake for up to 4 months. You can also wrap and freeze unfrosted layers of Carrot Cake using the same method and frost when you need them.
- To thaw your finished Carrot Cake, remove cake from the freezer and carefully remove the plastic and foil. Allow to thaw for about 4 hours before serving.
Looking for more Easter Cake Recipes?
- Coconut Cake (Triple Coconut!)
- Lemon Poke Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Strawberry Shortcakes
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake
- Banana Cake with Nutella Frosting
- Banana Coffee Cake
- Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Classic Carrot Cake
- Caramel Brown Sugar Pound Cake
- All of my Easter recipes!
Carlsbad Cravings© Original
NEVER MISS A CARLSBAD CRAVINGS CREATION: