Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff (without any “cream soup!”) made extra easy in the crock pot for crazy tender meat, and the most amazingly flavorful cream sauce with hardly any effort!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is great for busy weeknights or I love serving it for special occasions or holidays (like Christmas) because it is so easy, make ahead and stress free but tastes completely gourmet! This Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe is typically served over a bed of noodles but you will love the sauce so much you’ll want to put it on everything from potatoes, to rice to zoodles!
Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
I love hearty, classic beef dishes from Perfect Pot Roast to Beef Tips and Gravy to this Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff. Beef Stroganoff has long been a favorite of mine. It’s rich, hearty, comforting, layered with flavors and all served on a bed of egg noodles. After one taste, you will see why Beef Stroganoff has been around for hundreds of years (one of the earliest versions was published in a Russian cookbook in 1871) and hopefully this Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff version will be passed down from generation to generation.
To modernize this Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff, I’ve eliminated commonly used mystery cream of mushroom soup, used my own blend of spices and made it less labor intensive by using the slow cooker. So whether Beef Stroganoff is one of your favorite recipes or if you have never tried it or never made it before, you are going to be blown away at the ease and flavors of this Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff!
How to make Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
Many Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipes either call for cream of mushroom soup or a cornstarch slurry in order to thicken the sauce. In my experience, you cannot achieve the same creaminess by using this slurry method – it always ends up lacking.
Instead, in this Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Recipe, you whisk together flour, beef broth, a splash of Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and Dijon and some hand picked herbs and spices in a small saucepan and boil until it reaches gravy like consistency. It might appear on the thick side, but it will thin as moisture is released form the onions, mushrooms and meat in the slow cooker.
Add this Gravy Broth to your meat, onions, garlic and mushrooms (or for firmer mushrooms, reserve them until half way through cooking – that’s what I do) and cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-10 hours while the tantalizing aroma fills your home with the robust flavors of creamy beefy heaven and the beef tenderizes and soaks up the perfectly seasoned gravy.
When the meat is melt in your mouth tender, then you are ready to stir in some cream cheese until melted followed by sour cream for a wonderfully creamy mushroom, onion beef sauce. The cream cheese with the sour cream really really makes this sauce otherworldly divine and in turn this Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff otherworldy divine.
Tips and Tricks for Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- The meat is much easier to slice if placed in the freezer for 30-60 minutes to firm up. It will defrost quickly once you start slicing, so don’t worry about it being “frozen.”
- You can substitute beef chuck roast for the top sirloin. Again, partially freeze before slicing.
- The mushrooms are optional.
- If you like melt-in-your mouth mushrooms then add them at the beginning of cooking. If you prefer firmer mushrooms then add them halfway through cooking.
- I recommend full fat cream cheese as it is less likely to curdle.
- Soften your cream cheese first otherwise it is much harder to fully dissolve and will leave lumps of cream cheese in the gravy.
- Room temperature and full fat cream cheese is less likely to curdle.
- The gravy should seem thick at first but will thin to the perfect consistency as moisture is released from the mushrooms, onions and meat.
- Your beef is ready when it is melt in your mouth tender. If it is not tender, it just needs to cook longer. Even 30 minutes can make a big difference in tenderness.
- Stir in additional sour cream if desired for more tangy sour cream taste.
- This Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff sauce is not only delicious on egg noodles, but try it on mashed potatoes, baked potatoes and rice!
Want to try this Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff?
Pin it to your CROCK POT, MEAT, or DINNER Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
If you love slow cooker beef recipes, then you will love my Slow Cooker Honey Balsamic Beef, Slow Cooker Beef Brisket, Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy, Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa Slow Cooker Beef Stew and Slow Cooker Italian Sandwiches and Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches!
©Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: