- 2pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 2tablespoons water
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1cup ketchup
- 1/4cup molasses
- 1/4 – 1/3cup brown sugar, packed(1/3 for sweeter)
- 2tablespoons seedless blackberry preserves
- 2 1/2tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1tsp EACH smoked paprika, chili pwdr, onion pwdr, garlic pwdr, salt
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 1/4teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4teaspoon chipotle chili powderor cayenne pepper (optional for a kick)
Lightly spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray then add chicken.
Whisk together all of the Barbecue Sauce ingredients and pour over chicken. Toss to coat.
Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 6-8 hours.
When chicken is tender enough to shred, remove to a cutting board. Dissolve 1 tablespoon cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water then add to barbecue sauce in slow cooker. Turn slow cooker to HIGH (if it was on low). Shred chicken and add back to slow cooker. Cook for 20-30 minutes for chicken to absorb sauce and for sauce to thicken
Taste and add (one tablespoon at a time) additional brown sugar for sweeter, cider vinegar for tangier or chipotle/cayenne for spicier.
Serve barbecue chicken alone or in sandwiches, tacos, salads etc.