These Chicken Kabobs are marinated in my wildly popular, viral chicken marinade recipe for the juiciest, most flavor bursting chicken skewers of your life – no dry, bland or boring chicken here! This recipe is a healthy, prep ahead friendly, meal-in-one, ideal for effortless entertaining or special occasions; just throw the skewers on the grill or in the oven – and in minutes everyone will be swooning! Serve the Chicken Kebabs hot off the grill or dunk them in my irresistible Parmesan Herb Yogurt Dip!
Watch HOW TO MAKE chicken kebabs
Chicken and Veggies
Chicken Kabob Marinade
Step 1: Marinate the Chicken & Veggies
Step 3: Thread Chicken & Veggies onto Skewers
Step 4: Cook the Chicken Kabobs (Bake or Grill)
Chicken Kabob FAQs
Chop the chicken into 1 ¼-inch cubes because the larger the cubes, the juicer the chicken. Avoid chopping the chicken too small or it can easily overcook. Try and chop the chicken roughly the same size so they cook evenly.
The chicken kabob marinade is best if allowed to tenderize for at least 4 hours. If you can only marinate for 30-60 minutes, then reserve some of the marinade and store it separately from the marinating chicken. Brush the reserved marinade on the cooked chicken to add extra flavor to the kabobs.
You MUST soak your skewers if they are wooden. Soak them for at least 30 minutes otherwise they can catch fire! For this chicken kabob recipe, I recommend soaking your skewers when you start marinating the chicken. You may also use metal skewers (my personal preference), which you do not need to soak and never risk catching on fire. They are also easy to clean and reuse.
When threading the chicken and vegetables onto the skewers, pack them tightly together, but not smashed together, because everything will shrink while cooking. This will help the chicken cook more as one unit so it doesn’t dry out.
Grill chicken kabobs for 8-12 minutes total. I’ve made this chicken kabob recipe many times and the cooking time is never exactly the same. The total time will depend on how thick your chicken is and exactly how hot your grill is. Grills also vary by age, make, and model.
You don’t need to baste chicken kebabs while grilling because they are so flavorful and juicy, however, I still like to! It adds even more scrumptious flavor! When basting, only use marinade that has been separated out, and never touched the raw chicken.
Chicken kebabs can be part of a well-balanced diet. The chicken breasts are a lean protein low in fat and sodium with zero carbohydrates. Serve the chicken with veggies packed with vitamins and minerals and a yogurt based dip, a source high in protein, packed with calcium and also an excellent source of potassium, protein, zinc, and vitamins B6 and B12.
Tools Used in This Recipe
Grill or Oven Chicken Kabobs
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
CHICKEN AND VEGGIES
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts cut into 1 1/4” cubes
- 3 bell peppers (red, yellow, and/or orange) sliced into 1 1/4” chunks
- 2 zucchini cut into 1/2” slices
- 1 large red onion cut into 1 1/4” chunks
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsps. EACH onion powder, garlic powder, salt
- 1 tsp EACH dried basil, dried oregano, dried thyme, paprika
- 1/2 tsp EACH pepper, red pepper flakes
- Marinade: Whisk the Marinade ingredients together in a large bowl or large freezer bag (whatever dish you're marinating the chicken in). Remove 2 tablespoons to a small bowl for basting.
- Marinate veggies: Remove 3 tablespoons to a separate large bowl or bag with the vegetables, toss to coat, refrigerate.
- Marinate chicken: Add chicken to remaining Marinade and stir to coat. Marinate 4-8 hours in the refrigerator.
- Soak skewers: If using wooden skewers, soak them in water until ready to use.
PARMESAN HERB DIP (OPTIONAL)
- Meanwhile, whisk the dip ingredients together and refrigerate.
- When ready to cook, thread chicken and veggies snuggly onto skewers.
- Prep grill: Clean grill, heat to medium-high heat, 425 degrees F, and generously grease with vegetable oil.
- Grill and baste: Once hot, add chicken kabobs and cover. Grill for approximately 8-12 minutes, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F on an instant read thermometer. Rotate halfway through cooking and baste (with Reserved Marinade that never touched raw chicken) once the outside of the chicken is cooked. Baste again after removing from the grill; let rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with chilled dip.
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a pan with foil that allows you to perch the metal skewers on the top rim of the pan so the chicken hangs in the middle without touching the bottom of the pan (a 9×13 works well). You may also line on a lightly greased, foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake: Bake for 16-22 minutes or until the chicken reaches 160 degrees F on an instant read thermometer, flipping the skewers half way through cooking and basting (with Reserved Marinade that never touched raw chicken).
- Broil: Turn the oven to broil and broil the kabobs (without moving the pan) for a couple minutes on each side if desired for more caramelization (watch closely so they don’t burn or overcook. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with chilled dip.
- To store: Remove the chicken and veggies from the skewers into an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- To freeze chicken in marinade: Freeze for up to 3 months. Use shortly after thawing. I do not recommend freezing the vegetables raw or cooked as they will become mushy when thawed.
- To freeze cooked chicken: Transfer cooled chicken to an airtight container or plastic freezer bag and squeeze out any excess air. Freeze for 2 to 3 months.
- Skillet: Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and heat over medium low heat. Add the chicken and veggies (off the skewers) and warm through.
- Microwave: Remove chicken and veggies from skewers. Reheat at 30-second intervals, taking care not to overcook.
- Oven: Cover chicken skewers with foil and reheat in the oven for 5-8 minutes at 350 degrees F or just until warmed through.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!