This Cucumber Salad is a healthy, refreshing, easy side that will be the hit at every potluck, picnic, and barbecue. Instead of just cucumbers, this Cucumber Salad recipe is a Mexican inspired medley of veggies spiked with cilantro and Cotija cheese, tossed in a light honey chipotle dressing. It can be thrown together in 20 minutes, is make-ahead friendly, and is fiesta, crunchy texture heaven!
Watch How to Make Cucumber Salad
FOR THE cucumber Salad:
For the Cucumber Salad Dressing:
Mexican Cucumber Salad Recipe FAQs
The best way to prevent cucumber salad from getting soggy is:
1. Use Persian cucumbers which don’t have a high water content. If you use a different cucumber, remove the excess moisture by sprinkling salt over the sliced cucumbers and let them sit for about 10-15 minutes. Squeeze or pat them dry with a paper towel before combining them with the other salad ingredients. Omit the salt in the recipe, then salt to taste.
2. Mix just before serving. If you’re preparing the cucumber salad ahead of time, keep the cucumbers separate from the other ingredients until just before serving. Mixing the salad too early can cause the cucumbers to release moisture and become limp.
Persian cucumbers are the best for cucumber for salad because they have the lowest water content. English cucumbers are the next best variety, but you will need to slice the cucumbers in half and remove the seeds with a teaspoon. Slicing cucumbers will need to be peeled because the peel is bitter. Again, scoop out the seeds and remove excess moisture per above.
You do not need to peel Persian or English cucumber skins. Their skins are thin, tender, and mild tasting. They are also easier to chew and digest. Other cucumber varieties, like slicing cucumbers, need to be peeled because they can be bitter and more difficult to digest.
Cucumber salads dressed with vinegar-based dressings can be a healthy option. Cucumbers offer several health benefits due to their nutrient content and hydration properties. They are low in calories and rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, such as vitamin K, vitamin C, potassium, and flavonoids. Cucumbers aid in hydration, support proper digestion with their fiber content, promote healthy skin, contribute to weight management, and may have anti-inflammatory properties. Additionally, their high water content helps keep you hydrated and can assist in maintaining optimal body temperature.
Recipe for Cucumber Salad
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
- 24 ounces Persian cucumbers (about 10)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup sweet corn (canned or from fresh cobs)
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup diced red onions
- 1/4 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced mint
- Salad: Add the salad ingredients to a large bowl; set aside.
- Dressing: Add all the dressing ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Combine: Drizzle the dressing over the cucumber salad and toss to combine. Wait to add dressing if not serving within a few hours; instead, chill separately.
- Chill: Cover and refrigerate 1-3 hours before serving.
- Adjust to taste: Before serving, taste and season with salt, pepper, chipotle pepper if desired (we like more salt and chipotle). For tangier, add additional lime juice, for less tangy/sweeter, add additional honey.
- Meal Prep: Chop the salad ingredients and refrigerate in separate airtight containers or bags for up to 48 hours. Whisk the dressing ingredients together, cover and refrigerate for up to four days. An hour or so before serving, toss the salad with the dressing and refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!
- Storage: Cucumber Salad is best served within a few hours after it is prepared, but will keep for up to 3 days. Keep in mind, the vegetables will soften and release additional moisture over time.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!