California Breakfast Burritos are the best breakfast burritos you will ever have. period!
Breakfast Burritos loaded with crispy Mexican spiced french fries, cheesy bacon-eggs, rolled in a tortilla and toasted then smothered in Creamy Salsa. That’s what makes a CALIFORNIA Breakfast Burrito. And it is irresistible.
I probably added more words to my vocabulary the first month of meeting Patrick than I had in the last 10 years (you can read our Love Story here). Words like “snap,” “cut back,” “sweet air,” “double over head,” “round house cutback,” “drop in,” “grab rail,” “off shore wind,” “floater”…and much more surf lingo.
He made sure I knew he was not a “surf rat,” just loved to surf. In fact, Patrick’s favorite hobby is surfing, favorite past time is surfing, favorite sport to play is surfing, favorite sport to watch (only sport to watch) is surfing.
Every Saturday without fail, Patrick hits a “morning surf sesh.” And every Saturday without fail, he rejuvenates with a California breakfast burrito from a different local taco shop. So a while back, I told Patrick to forgo his taco shop ritual and I would not only have 1 breakfast burrito waiting for him after his surf sesh, but 6 homemade breakfast burritos waiting for him.
The California breakfast burrito connoisseur gave these homemade breakfast burritos two enthusiastic thumbs up. Or in his words, “These are legit!”
Breakfast Burrito Recipe
So what makes a California breakfast burrito different from any other breakfast burrito? More delicious than any other breakfast burrito?
French Fries. Garlic, cumin, cayenne, crispy French fries.
Layer these French fries with cheesy bacon-eggs (note, not eggs-bacon – more bacon the better!), on a tortilla, lightly toast the burrito in a skillet then smother the burrito in creamy salsa, and extra pico de gallo if you like, and we have a California breakfast burrito to rival Robertos, Albertos, Aiberto, Aldebertos, Eribertos….or any kind of “tos.”
These breakfast burritos will fill you with so much surfer Southern California goodness, you might even have the urge to try your hand at a double round house cutback next time you visit, because these California Breakfast Burritos, my friends, are “legit!”
How to Make a Breakfast Burrito
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; spray with non-stick cooking spray (or use a slip mat). Cut the potatoes into thin fries and toss with French fry ingredients in a large bowl until evenly coated. Spread potatoes evenly over prepared foil and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tender, then broil fries until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large non-stick skillet until very crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Chop into bite-sized pieces when cooled. Wipe skillet clean of almost all grease.
- Prepare salsa by mixing all of the salsa ingredients together. Store in the fridge.
- In the same bowl you mixed your fries (there will be some fry spice left), whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Add eggs to the now empty bacon skillet and cook over medium-low heat. When eggs are almost set, stir in cheese and bacon and finish cooking eggs, 30 seconds or so – don’t overcook!
- Assemble burritos by layering the eggs and then the French fries on each tortilla. Roll tortillas up burrito style.
- To sear the burritos for a golden crunch: Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat and place half of the burritos seam side down in the skillet. Cook until golden brown, approximately 1-2 minutes, and then flip and cook other side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining burritos. (Alternatively, you can omit oil and spray burritos with nonstick cooking spray)
- Top with creamy salsa.
Freezer Breakfast Burritos
You can freeze these breakfast burritos after you assemble them. To freeze:
- Cool Filling: Let filling cool otherwise you will end up with soggy tortillas
- Assemble: Assemble burritos by layering the eggs and then the French fries on each tortilla.
- Roll: Roll tortillas up burrito style by folding the sides over the filling, then tightly rolling from the bottom up.
- Wrap: Skip toasting step and wrap individual burritos up tightly in foil.
- Freeze: Freeze burritos in a single layer on a baking sheet. This will help them freeze faster and not get squished.
- Store: Add frozen burritos to a large freezer size bag, remove excess air and seal.
- Eat: Remove frozen burrito from foil and place on a microwave safe plate. Microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes, until warmed through, or heat in a regular or toaster oven at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes. Toast in a skillet per recipe instructions for extra crunch.
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Looking for more Breakfast Recipes?
- Strawberry Cheesecake Waffles
- Pecan Praline French Toast
- Pumpkin Angel Food Cake French Toast
- Carrot Cake Crepes
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Strawberry Coffee Cake
- Strawberries and Cream Coffee Cake