Strawberry Coffee Cake bursting with fresh strawberry filling, cream cheese and a delectable crumb topping!
This fluffy, moist Strawberry Coffee Cake will be the best breakfast cake you make this spring OR serve it as dessert! It boasts a buttery coffee cake layer, topped with silky cream cheese, homemade fresh strawberry filling and finished with sugary crumb topping – in every bite. This easy coffee cake recipe is destined to become a favorite most requested special occasion breakfast!
Easy Coffee Cake Recipe
I love how coffee cake makes eating cake for breakfast acceptable – and you are going to want to eat this easy coffee cake recipe EVERY morning for breakfast! If we could only be so lucky.
This Strawberry Coffee Cake Recipe looks fancy, but it is EASY! The cake and the crumb topping are made from the same simple crumb mixture and the strawberry sauce is made by simmering fresh strawberries with a couple pantry ingredients.
The end result is Strawberry Coffee Cake with each and every bite bursting with buttery, moist coffee cake, layered with velvety cream cheese, fresh sweet strawberry jam and buttery sugar crumb topping – did I mention that was in every bite?
After Patrick and I had devoured our pieces of sour cream coffee cake with “ooohs” and “awwws” and “this tastes professional!” (Patrick), I asked who we should take the leftovers to? (Not because I didn’t absolutely love this cake but because our fridge was already exploding!) Patrick said he could finish the cake. Patrick isn’t usually a leftovers type of guy which means this is one incredibly delicious easy coffee cake recipe!
Now you can eat breakfast and have your cake too!
WHY IS IT CALLED A COFFEE CAKE?
When I first posted this Strawberry Coffee Cake recipe, I received comment asking why it was called coffee cake if there is no coffee in the recipe? It turns out “Coffee Cake” is a popular American term but not so much abroad.
In the US, “Coffee Cake” has come to mean sweet breakfast cake typically with a crumb topping or streusel, as opposed to frosting, commonly served alongside coffee or tea at breakfast or brunch. So while, there is no coffee in this easy coffee cake recipe, there are strawberries and cream cheese!
What Strawberries are Best?
For this Strawberry Coffee Cake recipe, you will want to use two cups roughly chopped fresh strawberries. If you need to substitute frozen strawberries, make sure to use strawberries without any sugar added. You do not need to defrost frozen strawberries before adding them to the pan, you will just need to simmer longer until the filling is thick but still spreadable and mash up some of the strawberries once softened.
How to Make Strawberry Coffee Cake
Strawberry Filling: This Strawberry Coffee Cake starts by making a simple strawberry syrup which will become your strawberry layer. To make, you simmer roughly chopped fresh strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. You want the strawberry syrup to be thick yet spreadable.
Coffee Cake: The crumb mixture is made by mixing flour, sugars and butter. You reserve part of this mixture to become your sugar crumb topping (no double work) then mix the rest of the mixture with the baking soda, baking powder and salt then combine with sour cream, egg and vanilla extract. The batter will be a bit lumpy which is OKAY, don’t overmix or your cake will become dense.
Cream Cheese: This layer is very simple to make but adds a luscious depth you will love sinking your teeth into. To make, beat cream cheese until smooth then beat in sugar and egg until smooth.
Assemble: Spread the batter in the prepared pan, pressing about 1/2 inch of batter up the sides. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the batter and spread to within 1/2 inch edge of the batter (so there is a 1/2 inch border of uncovered batter all around). Spread the strawberry filling on top of the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup crumbs over the strawberry filling.
Bake: Bake sour cream coffee cake for 50-55 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing the cake.
How do I know when my coffee cake is done?
There are several variables that affect cooking time such as pans, actual oven temperature, etc. Your Strawberry Coffee Cake is done when just a few crumbs cling to a toothpick inserted into the center. If your easy coffee cake is not baked in 50 minutes – BAKE ON.
Tips for Strawberry Coffee Cake
- Use Correct Pan: You need an 8” inch round, at least 3″ deep spring form pan for this recipe. If you use a traditional cake pan, it will overflow.
- Grease Pan: I always line my cake pans with parchment paper then spray with nonstick cooking spray WITH FLOUR. I have NEVER had a problem with any of my cakes or breads sticking with this method.
- Use Room Temperature Ingredients: Make sure your cream cheese, eggs, and sour cream are at room temperature before mixing. Room temperature cream cheese will ensure your cream cheese filling isn’t lumpy. Room temperature eggs and sour cream will help you not to overmix your cake which results in a softer, more tender cake as opposed to dense and dry.
- Don’t Overmix: Stir you wet ingredients and dry ingredients together with a spoon and not a whisk, folding gently just until the batter is evenly combined. You never want to overmix wet and dry ingredients because this will overdevelop the gluten resulting in a tough, dry coffee cake.
- Don’t peak: Don’t open the oven doors until you are ready to check your Strawberry Coffee Cake for doneness. Opening the doors too early can cause the cake to fall in the middle or cook unevenly.
- Don’t slice while warm: Don’t be tempted to slice your cake while it is still warm or it can fall apart.
DOES This Sour Cream COFFEE CAKE NEED TO BE REFRIGERATED?
This Strawberry Coffee Cake contains cream cheese so it needs to be refrigerated. To store, wrap coffee cake tightly in plastic wrap, place on a plate and refrigerate for up to 5 days, although it is best (more moist) if consumed within 2.
CAN I FREEZE SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE?
Yes! Sour Cream Coffee Cakes makes a fabulous make ahead breakfast for stress free mornings or special occasions.
To freeze Coffee Cake:
- Let Coffee Cake cool completely.
- Wrap cake tightly in plastic wrap then repeat with a second layer of plastic wrap. Next wrap tightly in 1-2 layers of foil until completely sealed.
- If you are freezing individual slices, then place these plastic/foil wrapped slices in a freezer bag. If you are freezing your entire Coffee Cake for an extended period of time, then secure the aluminum foil with freezer tape to prevent freezer burn.
- You can store your Strawberry Coffee Cake for up to 3 months.
- When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
LOOKING FOR MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES?
- Creme Brulee French Toast
- Banana Coffee Cake
- Blueberry Coffee Cake
- California Breakfast Burritos
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pancakes
- Pecan Praline French Toast
- Breakfast Enchiladas
- Pumpkin Angel Food Cake French Toast
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Stuffed Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Want to try this Easy Coffee Cake RECIPE?
Pin it to your Breakfast, Brunch or Spring Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
Slightly adapted from Food Wanderings in Asia