These Cornbread Muffins bursting with sweet Blueberries are my favorite cornbread anything! You will never go back to regular cornbread again!
These easy blueberry corn muffins take just 25 minutes from start to finish! They are tender, moist, and buttery infused with sweet maple and bursts of juicy blueberries. These Blueberry Cornbread Muffins are perfect for brunch, barbecues, potlucks. etc. and the leftovers are equally delicious reheated for breakfast slathered in butter, honey or jam – but honestly I just eat my Cornbread Muffins plain because they are THAT good!
Blueberry Corn Muffins Recipe
I posted these insanely delicious Cornbread Muffins last March 2014 (my second month of blogging) because I just had to share them with the rest of the world right away.
So I understood a couple weeks ago when my Cornbread Muffin craving came again (it comes often), that I had to make them again right away but this craving time, I decided to re-shoot the mouthwatering morsels – and of course eat them along the way – so hopefully more people could fall in love with them as much as me. But just a warning: You might never go back to regular cornbread muffins (or cornbread anything for that matter!) once you know cornbread can taste THIS! good.
And taste I did…
Yeah, all these half eaten blueberry cornmeal muffins aren’t just for show – I just couldn’t stay away. Once you taste them, you’ll understand the craving for light pillows of crazy moist buttery cornbread texture infused with maple sweetness so you don’t even need honey or butter, but not so sweet that you feel gross, after eating three, or was it five? in a row.
To top off that deliciousness, the blueberry cornmeal muffins are speckled with sweet blueberry explosions that perfectly complement the cornbread texture/flavor. They are a dream breakfast, side, snack, potluck, barbecue or tasty treat. Basically, they are a dream anything you want them to be and that dream can be your reality in just 25 minutes!
Blueberry Corn Muffins Ingredients
These Cornbread Muffins boast a 3:1 cornmeal to flour ratio so they are the corniest muffins around without being dry and grainy due to the buttermilk, eggs, butter, and maple syrup. The maple syrup is a humectant, which means it attracts moisture and keeps the muffins super moist and tender.
To make these blueberry cornbread muffins, you will need:
- Blueberries: I don’t recommend frozen blueberries because they add too much moisture to the batter.
- Yellow cornmeal: I prefer fine cornmeal, but whatever your grocery store carries will be fine.
- All-purpose flour: I have not tried these Cornbread Muffins with a different flour but I am sure gluten free flour such as Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free would work great.
- Granulated sugar: You can reduce the sugar if you would like a less sweet cornbread but I think it is just right
- Baking powder: The secret ingredient that helps the cornbread muffins rapidly rise and bake into light and tender muffins.
- Salt: You need a little salt to enhance the flavor of the cornbread muffins.
- Buttermilk: You can make DIY buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to a 1 cup measuring cup, then adding milk to fill the cup. Give it a swirl and wait 10 minutes or so until bubbles form on the top.
- Eggs: Make sure your eggs are at room temperature before adding them to the batter.
- Butter: Make sure you use unsalted butter
- Pure maple syrup: Use quality pure maple syrup and not the imitation breakfast kind.
How to Make Blueberry Corn Muffins
Step 1: Spray a 12 count muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray WITH flour in it, or grease and flour your pan OR you can use regular nonstick baking spray with muffin/cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Step 2: Add Dry Ingredients to a large bowl and stir until evenly combined.
Step 3: In a separate bowl, whisk together the Wet Ingredients.
Step 4: Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
Step 5: Gently fold in blueberries. Batter will seem very wet which is normal.
Step 7: Evenly divide batter between 12 muffin tins (they will fill to the top) bake for 15-20 minutes, or until edges are golden.
Step 8: Cool muffins in pan then remove by gently slicing around each muffin with a knife then sink your teeth into moist, tender Cornbread Muffins!
Tips for the Best Cornmeal Muffins
- Don’t overmix: Overmixing develops the gluten and can cause dry, tough, brittle cornbread muffins.
- Don’t overcook the bread. Check cornmeal muffins for doneness at the lower end of the cook time. Over-baked cornbread will also be dry and crumbly.
- Use room temperature ingredients: All of your ingredients should be at room temperature before making these blueberry corn muffins. This ensures that they all bake evenly in the oven.
Cornmeal Muffin Variations to Try
I love adding fresh blueberries to these corn muffins, but here are some other mix-ins you could try out:
- Shredded cheese (such as cheddar or Gruyere)
- Finely chopped jalapenos for heat, or green chilies.
- Dried cranberries and/or walnuts
- Crumbled bacon
- Dried rosemary + sprinkle of crushed red pepper
- Corn! You can add fresh, frozen or canned corn. You can roast it with some peppers and onions as well for a smoky version. I recommend 2/3 cup corn. Or just one can if that is what you are using.
How to Store Blueberry Corn Muffins
For best results, transfer cornmeal muffins to an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Can I Freeze Blueberry Corn Muffins?
Yes! To freeze Cornbread Muffins:
- Cool Cornbread Muffins completely.
- Place muffins on a baking tray so they are not touching then place in the freezer.
- Freeze until solid, about 1 hour.
- Wrap Cornbread Muffins individually in plastic wrap then place them all in a freezer size bag.
- When ready to eat, remove muffin from plastic wrap and microwave at 20 second intervals or warm in the oven at 350°F 10 minutes or until heated through.
What Should I Serve with Cornbread Muffins?
These Blueberry Cornbread Muffins are fabulous on their own for breakfast or the perfect side to the main course such as:
- Slow Cooker Barbecue Ribs
- Mississippi Pot Roast
- Nashville Hot Chicken
- Barbecue Pulled Pork
- Barbecue Chicken Kebabs
- Oven Fried Chicken
- Brown Sugar Glazed Ham
- Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken
No matter what you serve your Cornbread Muffins with, just by making them you have made everyone else’s dreams come true too. But just be warned. Like dreams, these Cornbread Muffins vanish into thin air and you are left with the memory of something wonderful.
Looking for more bread recipes?
- Easy Garlic Parmesan Butter Breadsticks
- Perfect Soft and Fluffy Dinner Rolls
- Sweet Orange Roll Breadtwists
- Mom’s Famous Pumpkin Bread
- Lenon Bread
- Pesto Pull Apart Bread
- Bacon Ranch Pull Apart Bread
Want to try this Cornbread Muffins Recipe?
Pin it to your BREAD, MUFFINS, BREAKFAST or SIDES Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Cornbread Muffins with Blueberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- Spray a 12 count muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray WITH flour in it, or grease and flour your pan OR you can use regular nonstick baking spray with muffin/cupcake liners.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add Dry Ingredients to a large bowl and stir until evenly combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the Wet Ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries. Batter will seem very wet which is normal.
- Evenly divide batter between 12 muffin tins (they will fill to the top) bake for 15-20 minutes, or until edges are golden. Cool muffins in pan then remove by gently slicing around each muffin with a knife.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like these potluck sides: