- 3tablespoons olive oil divided
- 5 bone-in skinless chicken thighssee notes
- 1 large onionchopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper minced (optional)***
- 4 medium carrotssliced 1/2-inch thick
- 4 stalks celerysliced into 1/2-inch thick
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoeschopped into 1-inch chunks
- 6 garlic clovesminced
- 2-3teaspoons chili powdersee notes***
- 2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1tsp EACH dried oregano, ground coriander seeds
- 1/2tsp EACH smoked paprika, salt, pepper
- 115 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes with juices
- 1 4 oz. can mild diced green chiles
- 9cups low sodium chicken broth
- corn from 2 ears sweet cornor one 15 oz. can sweet corn rinsed and drained
- 2 chayote, peeled, coredchopped into 1” cubes (see notes)
- 1tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 chopped cilantro more or less to taste
- sour cream
- lime juice
- hot sauce
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over high heat. Once very hot, add chicken and sear until golden on each side. Remove to a plate. Don’t clean out pot.
To the now empty pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onions and jalapeno pepper and cook 3 minutes.
Add carrots, celery, potatoes and all seasonings. Cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds.
Add chicken back to pot along with tomatoes, green chiles and chicken broth.
Cove pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
Remove chicken from the pot to a cutting board.
Add chayote and corn to the pot and gently simmerer an additional 10 minutes while you remove the chicken from the bones. (Alternatively, you can serve chicken whole as traditionally done.)
After 10 minutes or once chayote is tender, stir in shredded chicken, lime juice and chopped cilantro and heat through.
Ladle over bowls of rice (optional) and top with desired toppings.