Blueberry Cheesecake is rich and creamy with bright and tang blueberry topping!
This Blueberry Cheesecake is obsessive worthy. The cheesecake alone is decadent perfection but smother it with sweet and tangy homemade blueberry sauce and you have a new favorite dessert you will be making again and again! This Blueberry Cheesecake is also made extra easy in pie form and extra delicious with vanilla wafer crust! I’ve included detailed instructions, tips and tricks so you can make the PERFECT Blueberry Cheesecake, even if you’ve never made cheesecake before!
Blueberry Cheesecake Recipe
This Blueberry Cheesecake joins the cast of my other sensational blueberry recipes: Lemon Blueberry Cake, Blueberry Muffins with Lemon Glaze and Blueberry Coffee Cake. because it doesn’t get much better than bursts of sweet and tangy berries!
I really wanted to make a blueberry cheesecake, but instead of making a traditional cheesecake that requires a spring form pan and 5 8oz. blocks cream cheese, I decided to make a Blueberry Cheesecake Pie that is less intimidating/overwhelming but equally delicious. Or more delicious. I took this Blueberry Cheesecake to an end of school bonfire/party, and it was gone in minutes.
And bonus, this Blueberry Cheesecake boasts a vanilla wafer crust! I have always used vanilla wafers in my mini cheesecakes but for some reason hadn’t tried them on any pies/full size cheesecakes – until this beauty. You will love the buttery, vanilla crumble crust. I prefer it to graham cracker crusts and can’t wait to hear what you think!
I originally tried making this Blueberry Cheesecake NO BAKE and although it was delicious, it wasn’t nearly as delicious as baked cheesecake. There is just something so magical about velvety cheesecake that cannot be replicated without baking. And because this is a “cheesecake pie” with less cream cheese, you won’t run into any issues with cracking (not that it matters because its all smothered in blueberry sauce), and you won’t run into any issues with your water bath leaking because the Blueberry Cheesecake is baked in a pie pan and not a spring form pan – winning!
Blueberry Topping For Cheesecake
This Blueberry Cheesecake utilizes my extremely popular 10 Minute Blueberry Topping and Syrup Recipe. That’s right, all you need is 10 minutes to create sweet and tangy blueberry bliss. You will will want to DRINK this sauce. But try and be patient because it becomes exponentially more delicious (just when you didn’t think it was possible) smothering your Blueberry Cheesecake.
How do you make a blueberry cheesecake?
Step 1: HOW TO MAKE CHEESECAKE CRUST:
- Combine vanilla wafers, sugar and butter in medium bowl until crumbs are evenly moistened.
- Press evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until crust just begins to brown. Cool completely.
Step 2: HOW TO MAKE CHEESECAKE FILLING:
- Beat cream cheese until very smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in sugar and continue to beat for 3 minutes. Don’t shortcut beating the eggs and cream cheese because this is what makes a super creamy cheesecake.
- Beat in eggs then egg yolk, one at a time just until combined after each addition. Once you add the eggs, beat as LITTLE as possible, beating just until combined after each addition – over-beating eggs can lead to cracking, Also, make sure you use room temperature eggs which will allow them to mix more easily without over-beating.
- Beat in sour cream and vanilla just until combined. The sour cream and egg yolk make this Blueberry Cheesecake extra smooth and rich and so addicting.
- Pour cheesecake filling over cooled crust.
Step 3: HOW TO MAKE A WATER BATH:
The term “water bath” simply means baking cheesecake in water. To make your water bath, add the Blueberry Cheesecake in the pie pan to a roasting pan and fill halfway up the sides with warm water.
Do I need a water bath for cheesecake?
Yes, even though we are using a pie pan instead of a springform pan, all cheesecakes require a water bath in order for the cheesecake to cook evenly and to prevent cracks. The hot water insulates the outer edges of the cheesecake, so the edges don’t bake faster than the middle. This ensures even baking throughout and lessens the likelihood of the cheesecake cracking.
Step 4: Bake Cheesecake
Bake Blueberry Cheesecake for 45 minutes at 325 degrees F or until the edges are firm and the center 2-3 of the cheesecake is still wobbly but NOT runny.
How do you know if a cheesecake is done?
The cheesecake should still jiggle in the center when you push the pan back and forth but the edges should be mostly set. The center of the Blueberry Cheesecake will set and firm up as the cheesecake cools.
Step 5: How do I Cool Cheesecake?
We need to gently cool our Blueberry Cheesecake in order to prevent cracking due to immediate temperature changes. To cool cheesecake:
- Turn off your oven when the Blueberry Cheesecake is done and crack open the oven door.
- Allow your cheesecake to cool in oven for 30 minutes
- Remove cheesecake to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, best if overnight.
Step 6: How to Make Blueberry Topping For Cheesecake
While the Blueberry Cheesecake is baking, it’s time to prepare our tantalizing Blueberry Sauce.
- Add orange juice, lemon juice, sugar, and cornstarch to a medium saucepan, whisk until cornstarch is dissolved and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Boil approximately 5 minutes, or until thickened then add blueberries and simmer 5 minutes or until a few berries have burst but most are still whole. Stir in vanilla.
- Taste and add lemon zest from 1 lemon if desired for more tang.
- Chill in the refrigerator in an airtight container separate from the cheesecake. Blueberry Sauce will thicken as it chills.
- When ready to serve, spoon blueberry sauce over cheesecake and serve.
How Do I keep My Cheesecake From Cracking?
- Use a water bath: As previously mentioned, the hot water insulates the outer edges of the cheesecake, so the edges don’t bake faster than the middle.
- Room temperature ingredients: Room temperature eggs, sour cream and softened cream cheese allow them to mix more easily and evenly and reduces the risk of cracks. Properly softened cream cheese will also be smooth without any lumps.
- Mix well: Mix your cream cheese and sugar very well until it is light and fluffy.
- Don’t peak! It is paramount that you don’t open the oven while your Blueberry Cheesecake is baking to prevent cracking. Opening the door dramatically lowers the temperature and causes your cheesecake to sink and crack.
- Don’t overbake: Over baking the cheesecake causes the filling to shrink and crack. You want the edges to be firm but the center to wobble slightly when shaken.
- Cool gently: Sudden changes in temperature can cause cracks so by allowing the cheesecake to cool in the oven and then on the counter before placing it in thee refrigerator lets it gradually adjust to each temperature.
- Fix cracks: If your Blueberry Cheesecake still cracks, then hide them with Blueberry Sauce!
HOW TO SERVE BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE?
I recommend chilling your Blueberry Cheesecake for at least 24 hours before serving. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and keep in the refrigerator for up to one week. Add the Blueberry Topping when you’re ready to serve.
CAN I FREEZE Blueberry CHEESECAKE?
Yes! Cheesecake and blueberry sauce both freeze very well.
HOW TO FREEZE Blueberry CHEESECAKE:
- Cool cheesecake completely and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Add Blueberry Sauce.
- Place chilled cheesecake with Blueberry Sauce on a baking pan and place, uncovered, in the freezer. Freeze until firm.
- Remove from the freezer then wrap cheesecake in plastic wrap followed by heavy duty aluminum foil and finally in a large heavy duty freezer bag.
- Blueberry Cheesecake can be frozen for 2-3 months.
- To thaw, remove Blueberry Cheesecake from freezer to the refrigerator. Let thaw overnight.
Now dig in and tell me this is not the most delicious Blueberry Cheesecake you have ever had the pleasure of eating. Happy early 4th!
Looking for more Cheesecake Recipes?
- Layered Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Key Lime Cheesecake Sugar Cookie Cups
- Raspberry Chocolate Cheesecake
- Eggnog Cranberry Cheesecake
- German Chocolate Cheesecake
- Strawberry Cheesecake
Want to try this Blueberry Cheesecake Recipe?
Pin it to your DESSERT or SUMMER Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
©Carlsbad Cravings Original