Creamy Tortellini bursting with cheesy tortellini, Italian sausage, sweet potatoes, spinach and bacon smothered in a luscious Parmesan cream sauce all made in one skillet in under 30 minutes!
This Creamy Tortellini recipe is about to become a new favorite dinner that’s quick, easy and insanely delicious. Winning! It is an ode to my Zuppa Toscana Soup that’s wonderfully creamy, comforting and hearty but in skillet form! This Creamy Tortellini recipe is loaded with flavor and texture and virtually a meal-in-one. You can customize the protein and veggies because this skillet is all about those tender, pillowy tortellini and lusciously creamy Parmesan sauce.
I can’t believe the advent of spring is officially next week! But before we say hello to everything salad, pasta salad and grilling, you have to make my new Lemon Garlic Shrimp Fettuccine, Swedish Meatballs and this Creamy Tortellini Toscana! I guarantee your family is going to looooove this skillet tortellini and you will love how easy it is with a start to finish time of less than 30 minutes!
Like I previously mentioned, this Creamy Tortellini Toscana idea came from my Zuppa Toscana recipe. If you haven’t tried that soup yet it is amazing along with my other Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup. I wanted to create a dish with a similar flavor profile to my Zuppa Toscana but with pasta – and of course my favorite pasta is tortellini! From my Tortellini Chicken Soup to my Caesar Chicken Tortellini, to my Cheesy Bolognese Tortellini Al Forno, to my Creamy White Bean and Ham Tortellini Soup, tortellini just makes everything better! Because if there is one way to make pasta even more delicious – stuff it with cheeeese!
This Creamy Tortellini is crazy delicious because not only is it bursting with Italian sausage, sweet potatoes, spinach and bacon, the tortellini cooks right in the sauce so all the glorious flavors simmer together and infuse the tortellini and veggies with even more flavor to create a skillet of unbelievable goodness that’s both fresh and comforting at the same time.
HOW TO CUSTOMIZE CREAMY TORTELLINI SKILLET
I’ve kept the bacon as a garnish so that it’s crispy salty goodness doesn’t get lost in the pasta and so you can customize just how decadent you want this Creamy Tortellini Toscana. Here are a few more ways to customize this tortellini recipe:
- Use ground turkey instead of sausage (be prepared to add some more seasonings if you do this)
- Substitute Italian sausage with lean ground beef with a pinch of red pepper flakes
- Add fire roasted diced tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes
- Substitute kale for Spinach
- Garnish with fresh basil
- Add/substitute sweet potatoes with your favorite veggies such as zucchini or carrots, etc.
This Creamy Tortellini Toscana is super easy for a weeknight meal but tastes like it’s from a gourmet Italian restaurant. Doesn’t get better or tastier than that!
LOOKING FOR MORE ITALIAN PASTA RECIPES?
- Spaghetti Bolognese
- Chicken Parmesan
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
- Baked Italian Meatballs (and Spaghetti)
- One Skillet Cheesy Meaty Penne
- Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo
- Million Dollar Mac and Cheese
- One Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup
- Parmesan Meatballs and Orzo
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp Fettuccine
WANT TO TRY THIS CREAMY TORTELLINI RECIPE?
Pin it to your PASTA, DINNER, ONE POT, 30 MINUTE MEALS Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Tools Used in This Recipe
Creamy Tortellini with Sausage, Sweet Potatoes, Spinach and Bacon!
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
- 16 oz. hot Italian bulk sausage
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 1 large sweet potato (about ¾ – 1 pound) peeled and cut into 1/2-1-inch cubes
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp EACH EACH dried parsley, dried rosemary, salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 20 oz. bag quality refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 heaping cups baby spinach torn into pieces
- 4-6 bacon strip cooked and crumbled
- chopped parsley
- freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat a Dutch oven or large skillet with tall sides, to medium high heat. Add sausage, onions, and sweet potatoes and cook until sausage is cooked through. Drain grease.
- Add garlic, parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper and sauté for 30 seconds. Stir in 1 cup chicken broth and cover. Let cook 2-3 minutes or until potatoes are almost cooked through.
- Remove lid and add tortellini and remaining chicken broth. Whisk half and half with cornstarch and stir into skillet. Simmer until tortellini is cooked, approximately 6-8 minutes, stirring often so it cooks evenly.
- Stir in Parmesan until melted. Stir in spinach a handful at a time until it wilts, then stir in more. Stir in milk or half a little at time if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with bacon, fresh parsley and additional Parmesan if desired.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
©Carlsbad Cravings Original