Shepherd’s Pie is a comforting casserole your family will beg for again and again!
This easy Shepherd’s Pie recipe is layered with ground beef, carrots, corn and green peppers smothered in a tomato spiked brown gravy all topped with crispy, cheesy hash browns. It’s perfect comfort food for St. Patrick’s Day or an any day easy family favorite! I’ve also included instructions on how to freeze ground beef Shepherd’s Pie and how to make ahead!
Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
I remember the first time I sunk my teeth into Shepherd’s Pie. I was visiting my cousins states away in Utah when the world of layered baked meat and potato casserole changed my world. For a little girl whose favorite food was potatoes, meat and potatoes couldn’t get much better.
Until this Cheesy Hash Brown Shepherd’s Pie.
That’s right. Hash browns. Hash browns for dinner. I’m in. The hash browns are lightly sauteed and mixed with sour cream, sharp cheddar and green onions so they are not only crispy but cheesy as well. Of course, you can swap them for good old mashed potatoes as well, but I personally love the texture of the crispy hash browns.
The rest of the easy Shepherd’s Pie recipe is pretty standard fair – except that it’s not. The vegetables and tomato gravy are seasoned to perfection. I guarantee you will have to slap your own hand from eating all of the meat/vegetables before you assemble your Shepherd’s Pie. It’s saucy meat and cheesylicoius hash browns have some sort of control over me…
But you’ll want to stop eating, because, believe it or not, once you top the savory meat/vegetable layer with the creamy, cheesy hash brown layer and bake until crispy, golden deliciousness, it doesn’t get any better!
All good things are worth the wait.
What’s the difference between shepherds pie and cottage pie?
Ingredients for Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- Ground Beef. You will need one pound lean ground beef. You may also substitute with lean ground turkey, chicken or even ground sausage. If you want to get fancy, you can use short ribs like in this Shepherd’s Pie recipe.
- Onions and garlic. The aromatics form the base of flavor so don’t skip!
- Flour. We use flour to thicken the gravy. I use all purpose flour but I’m sure any gluten free flour would work as well.
- Beef broth. Please use low sodium beef broth so we can control the salt.
- Veggies I use corn, bell peppers and carrots but you are welcome to add or substitute what you have on hand such as celery, peas, squash etc.
- Diced tomatoes. Make sure your diced tomatoes don’t contain any extra seasonings.
- Tomato paste and ketchup. They both infuse our Shepherd’s Pie with rich, tangy tomato flavor.
- Dijon mustard. You can substitute with stone ground mustard.
- Worcestershire sauce. Adds complex sweet, savory, tangy notes. If you’re out of Worcestershire Sauce, you can use 2 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce and 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Soy sauce. Please use low sodium soy sauce.
- Seasonings: The meat and vegetables get seasoned with paprika, chili powder, dried parsley, dried oregano, salt and pepper as well as hot sauce to taste to create a robust, earthy, savory flavor profile.
- Frozen hash browns. You will need 6 cups frozen hash browns which is about 30 oz. bag. You can use plain has browns or one with added peppers, onions, etc.
- Cheese. We add sharp cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese to the hash browns for the irresistible cheesy factor. Pleases use freshly grated cheese for superior taste and melting ability.
- Sour cream. Adds creaminess to the hash browns. You can substitute with Greek yogurt if you prefer.
How to Make Shepherd’s Pie
- Make potato topping. Start by cooking hash browns in a single layer until crispy on one side, then flip over and cook another five minutes. This gives them a head start in the crispy department. They will continue to crisp up in the oven. Mix hash browns, cheeses, and sour cream in a bowl and set aside.
- Brown meat. Cook meat and onions in an oven proof skillet. Take care to drain off extra grease so your filling isn’t greasy.
- Make filling. Sprinkle flour over meat and cook while stirring for 2 minutes to get rid of the raw flour smell and taste. Add carrots, tomatoes, green peppers, and corn and all remaining gravy ingredients and simmer while the meat and vegetables drink up the flavor and the gravy thickens.
Tips for Shepherd’s Pie with Ground Beef
- If you don’t have an oven proof skillet, you can cook your Shepherd’s Pie recipe in any skillet then transfer the contents to a casserole dish to bake.
- You can substitute the hash browns with your favorite mashed potato recipe like this one.
- You can go meatless and make Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie by replacing the meat with more veggies or adding in cauliflower, mushrooms, squash, eggplant, etc. in place of the meat.
- You can cut down on chopping by using a frozen vegetable medley.
What to eat with shepherd’s pie?
Shepherd’s Pie has you covered with meat, veggies and carbs, so it doesn’t need much! We like to serve Shepherd’s Pie with a big green salad or Wedge Salad, Fruit Salad and either rolls, cornbread or breadsticks.
HOW TO MAKE SHEPHERDS PIE AHEAD OF TIME
Shepherd’s Pie can easily be assembled ahead of time for an easy bake and eat dinner. To make ahead of time:
- Prepare the recipe up through assembling the Shepherd’s Pie but do not bake.
- Cover casserole tightly with foil and refrigerate.
- Remove from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes or until hash brown are completely cooked then broil to desired hash brown crispiness.
Can I freeze SHEPHERDS PIE?
- Shepherd’s Pie freezes very well, especially with the hash brown topping because the potatoes don’t become a funny texture.
- To freeze, let casserole cool completely, then wrap securely a few times in plastic wrap then in foil.
- Freeze for up to 6 months.
- You can bake frozen Shepherd’s Pie directly from the freezer at 425 degrees F for one hour or until cooked through.
- To reheat from thawed in the refrigerator, bake at 425 degrees F, uncovered until warm through, approx. 25-30 minutes.
Looking for more beef recipes?
- Crazy Tender Baked Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Honey Balsamic Roast Beef
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Mississippi Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy,
- Slow Cooker Italian Sandwiches
Want to try this Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe?
Pin it to your DINNER, CASSEROLE or MEAT Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Carlsbad Cravings Original