Pull apart bread is the ultimate appetizer and party food everyone goes crazy for!
This Pull Apart Bread is drenched in buttery ranch cream cheese then stuffed with bacon, sharp cheddar and pepper jack cheese for melty, ooey, gooey cheesy ranchy goodness in every pull apart mouthful. This pull apart bread is everyone’s favorite appetizer and is make ahead friendly!
Pull apart BreadI’ve got the ultimate pull apart bread recipe for all those football parties, game nights, movie nights, potlucks or just a fun dinner side. It is demolished in minutes – every, single time. If you aren’t familiar with pull apart bread, it is bread that is sliced in a cross hatch pattern to create diamond shape bread pieces that are stuffed with butter and cheesy goodness in between each piece that melts when it bakes. This essentially creates insanely delicious cheese bread, or in this case, pepper Jack, bacon ranch cheese bread. In this pull apart bread recipe, the crevices are packed with butter, cream cheese, sharp cheese, pepper jack cheese, bacon, and ranch seasoning. It’s so intoxicatingly delicious that even though you know you shouldn’t eat the whole entire loaf – just your husband and you for dinner – you just can’t stop; the siren calls of the buttery, cheesy, ranch seeped morsels are just too irresistible to stop… Like, really, we couldn’t stop. While this pull apart bread is a no brainer, the slathering and stuffing can take some time, but I promise, it is so worth it – and everyone will thank you for it while they stuff their faces. And bonus! You can prep this pull apart bread recipe beforehand then just bake when ready to serve!
INGREDIENTS FOR PULL APART BREAD RECIPE
For this Pull Apart Bread recipe, you will need:
- bread: a sturdy loaf is best
- butter: use unsalted butter or else our bread will be too salty
- cream cheese: you can use full fat or less fat but full fat melts better
- ranch seasoning mix: you can purchase a packet of Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix and you will use about a half or you can buy a jar of mix if you use it often
- garlic salt: I LOVE garlic salt because garlic + salt make everything flavorful!
- sharp cheddar cheese: freshly grated is best!
- pepper jack cheese: freshly grated is best!
- bacon: I use 8 slices cooked and crumbled, but you can use more or less to taste
WHAT IS THE BEST BREAD FOR PULL APART BREAD?You will want a dense crusty bread so it can support the weight of the toppings. My favorite breads for this recipe are sourdough, Italian or ciabatta bread (I used garlic ciabatta). Make sure you purchase a bread that isn’t sliced because you need the bread to be intact on the bottom. You can use a round loaf, longer football-shaped loaf or flatter ciabatta loaf as long as you stay in the 12 to 16-ounce range per loaf to keep proportions right in the recipe.
How to make Pull Apart BreadSlice bread. To make, all you do is slice your bread diagonally one direction, then the other direction to create a cross-hatch pattern. Care not to NOT slice all the way to the bottom of the bread. Turn bread 90 degrees and repeat diagonal slices to create a cross-hatch pattern. Mix filling ingredients. Mix your cream cheese, butter, ranch seasoning and garlic salt together until smooth, it’s okay if there are a few lumps. Add butter cream cheese to bread: Using a knife, “butter” in between all of the slices of bread with the cream cheese/ranch/butter mixture – it does not have to be neat. I find it helpful to hold one end of the bread up so it bends like an accordion, making it easier to butter in between the sections. I work from one end and butter to the other, then flip the bread and do the same with the other perpendicular slices.t Add cheese. Mix the cheddar and pepper Jack cheese together then stuff the cheeses and bacon in between the cracks. You don’t have to be clean or neat about this whole process. Like I said, no brainer. Just get stuffing so you can get baking. Bake. Place the bread in foil and bake. Not only do the cheeses melt while the bread bakes, the the cream cheese, butter ranch mixture melts as well, seeping into every nook and cranny of the bread so every bite is drenched in buttery cream cheese ranch glory – and bacon. Can’t forget the bacon. Its name says it all. Bacon.
TIPS FOR PULL APART BREAD
- Use only the recommended sturdy breads.
- Make sure not to cut bread all the way through or the goodies will fall out!
- Stuff the bread evenly throughout the loaf so each bite is equally delicious.
- Don’t worry about the loaf being neat. It’s okay if the butter/cream cheese mixture and cheeses get on the top of the bread – it will all be eaten at once!
- Cook on a baking sheet to catch any drips or oozing cheese.
- Keep an eye on the pull apart bread once you open the foil so it doesn’t burn.
- Eat the bottom of the bread! I know pulling the pieces is super fun, but the bottom is riddled with goodies and is beautifully crispy!
HOW TO MAKE PULL APART BREAD AHEAD OF TIMEPull apart bread is fabulous for parties because you can assemble it all ahead of time! Simply follow the recipe then wrap the bread in foil. Refrigerate until ready to serve, then pop it in the oven and bake a couple extra minutes.
HOW DO I STORE PULL APART BREAD?This Pull Apart Bread recipe needs to be refrigerated due to the cheese, cream cheese and bacon.
- REFRIGERATOR: You can store the baked pull apart bread for up tot 5 days in the refrigerator enclosed in foil.
- FREEZER: You may also freeze baked pull apart bread for up to 6 months. Just be aware the cheese will loose some of its structural integrity. To freeze, tightly wrap in in plastic wrap a few times or divide into sections and place in freezer size bags or airtight containers.
LOOKING FOR MORE GAME DAY FOOD?
- Italian Meatball Sliders
- Artichoke Dip Bites
- Cheesy Chili Dip
- Cheesy Meatball Pull Apart Bread
- Brie Spinach Dip
- Pesto Pull Apart Bread