Beef Enchiladas bursting with unbelievably tender, flavorful, beef barbacoa, loaded with cheese and smothered in rich, tangy shortcut enchilada sauce!
These shredded Beef Enchiladas are out of this world delicious and come together super quickly by using Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa. You can make the beef ahead of time and even assemble the enchiladas completely ahead of time and refrigerate for an easy make-ahead dinner that everyone will LOVE!
BEEF BARBACOA RECIPE VIDEO
I am slightly obsessed with my Beef Barbacoa Recipe. I love it more than my Carnitas, Carne Asada, Mexican Chicken and Chipotle Pork. It is hands down my favorite Mexican meat/chicken and so I knew it belonged as the star in these easy Beef Enchiladas – because after all Beef Enchiladas are only as good as the beef- so it better be goooooooood!
How to Make Shredded Beef for easy Beef Enchiladas
What I especially love about Beef Barbacoa is that the shredded beef makes your beef enchiladas not only unbelievably delicious but SO easy! You can even make the beef days in advance and warm it with the beans and enchilada sauce or dump and run to let it braise all day while your home fills with the chipotle aroma.
To make the shredded Beef Barbacoa, simply sear the meat to create the Maillard reaction resulting in rich, deep, complex flavor, then add 1/2 cup mild enchilada sauce, chopped green chilies, minced chipotles in adobo sauce, lime juice, cider vinegar, brown sugar, Worchestershire sauce, liquid smoke and our bevy of handpicked fiestalicious spices and then let the meat cruise to flavor exploding tenderness.
One thing to note is to use a 10 oz. can enchilada sauce in your Beef Barbacoa recipe because although you only use ½ cup in the slow cooker, we will use the remaining approximately ¾ cup in our Enchilada Sauce.
How to Make Easy Enchilada Sauce
This Enchilada Sauce couldn’t be any easier – or more flavorful. It only uses 4 ingredients:
- remaining enchilada sauce from the 10 oz. can used in Beef Barbacoa (as previously mentioned above)
- one 15 oz. can enchilada sauce
- ½ cup juices from slow cooker after the Beef Barbacoa is cooked
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Whisk the ingredients together in a small saucepan, simmer for a few minutes and that’s it lusciously rich and tangy Enchilada Sauce!
If you have a homemade Enchilada Sauce you love, feel free to use that and consider replacing some of the chicken broth with the slow cooker juices.
Tips and Tricks for Beef Enchiladas
- Cook your beef until it is fall apart tender. If it isn’t tender, your beef just needs to cook longer. Even an hour can make the difference between tough meat and melt-in-your-mouth beef.
- You can use corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas although I find corn tortillas fall apart more easily.
- If you make your beef in advance and refrigerate it, then add it to the skillet at the same time as your black beans so it can reheat.
- Black beans are optional. If you omit the black beans then add 1 cup additional shredded beef.
- By nature, Barbacoa is quite tangy. For less tangy Enchilada Sauce, replace part or all of the Barbacoa slow cooker juice with enchilada Sauce.
- Garnish! Garnish! Garnish! These Best Beef Enchiladas are rich so I loooooove them with lettuce and sour cream to cut through and balance the richness.
Now whip up some Mexican Rice or Cilantro Lime Rice and if you’re feeling extra fun and flirty then blend up some Salsa Verde and/or Homemade Salsa, Pico de Gallo or guacamole then open wide for epic Barbacoa Beef Enchiladas AKA Mexican comfort food at its most obsessive worthy.
Looking for more Enchilada Recipes?
- Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- Salsa Verde Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Jalapeno Chicken Enchiladas
- Chipotle Mango Black Bean Chicken Enchiladas
- Breakfast Ham and Cheese Enchiladas
Want to try this Beef Enchiladas Recipe?
Pin them to your BEEF, DINNER, or MEXICAN Board to save for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Carlsbad Cravings Original