This Cookie Pie is a million dollar delicious!
This Cookie Pie is layered with pie crust, Nutella, Dulce de Leche and cookie dough then topped with refreshing ice cream and drizzles of chocolate and caramel! It is is hands down the best cookie pie you will sink your teeth into and it tastes even better the next day making it the perfect make ahead, stress free company dessert!
Today, I am so excited and honored to bring you this Million Dollar Cookie Pie from the cookbook Our Sweet Basil Kitchen by Cade and Carrian Cheney, creators of the recipe website Oh Sweet Basil! I am so blessed to call Carrian a dear friend of mine. I was first introduced to Carrian on Instagram through her brave, open battle with hyperemisis. I continue to be in awe as she inspires me with her light, strength, wisdom kindness and delicious recipes!
Just like Carrian’s website, Our Sweet Basil Kitchen Cookbook is packed with innovative yet family friendly recipes, just like their tag line describes: Fresh Twists on Family Favorites with Recipe Mashups and unique Flavor Combinations, or in other words, no more boring dinners, sides or desserts! You can purchase Our Sweet Basil Kitchen Cookbook on Amazon HERE and I guarantee it will become a family staple, just like this Cookie Pie!
Although it was difficult to decide which recipe to share from the Oh Sweet Basil Cookbook, in the end I went with their Million Dollar Cookie. It was a million dollar winning choice. Or at least it taste like it.
So What exactly is a cookie pie? It is exactly what it sounds like: pie crust + cookie dough = Cookie Pie! Essentially, Cookie Pie is a pie made with pie crust in either in a skillet or pie pan then filled with cookie dough. This Million Dollar Cookie Pie, however, has a few extra layers that make it a million dollars more delicious than the rest. These extra layers mean a few extra steps but they are all very simple and the end result is layers of flaky pie crust, chocolaty Nutella, creamy Dulce de Leche and buttery chocolate chip cookie all drizzled with more caramel and chocolate.
How Do I Make Cookie Pie ?
Step 1: First, create the template for your Nutella/Dulce de Leche layer by placing the pie plate you will use on top of a piece of parchment paper and tracing an outline of the bottom of the plate. Set the parchment paper aside.
Step 2: Next, make your cookie layer by making the cookie dough. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and mix an additional minute. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Add to wet ingredients and mix to combine. Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.
Step 3: Roll out your store-bought pastry dough and line your pie plate. Cover and refrigerate.
Step 4: Meanwhile, take the parchment paper on which you traced an outline and place it, traced-side-down on the counter. You will be able to see the outline through the paper, but the pencil markings will be touching the counter, not the topping. Scoop the Nutella into the center of the parchment circle and spread out evenly to fill the entire shape. Freeze 10 minutes.
Step 5: Remove from freezer, then spread Dulce de Leche over the top, and return to the freezer for another 15-20 minutes OR until you can easily peel the disc from the parchment paper.
Step 6: Remove frozen hazelnut and Dulce de leche disc from the freezer and carefully peel it off the parchment paper. Lay the disc in the pie crust.
Step 7: Add the cookie dough and press into a uniform layer.
Step 8: Bake 25-35 minutes of until the top is golden brown and the center is almost set.
Step 9: Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sea salt flakes. Allow to cool for about 30 minutes then top with loads of ice cream, caramel and chocolate sauce.
And that’s what a million dollars tastes like. Thank you Our Sweet Basil Kitchen Cookbook. Thank you.
Can I Use Store Bought Cookie Dough for Cookie Pie?
Absolutely! You are welcome to use store bought cookie dough or your favorite cookie dough recipe. Peanut Butter Cookie dough with chocolate chips would be especially delicious.
Can I Use Homemade Pie Crust for Cookie Pie?
You are also welcome to use your favorite pie crust recipe or even go wild and crazy and make an oreo crust.
What is Dulce de Leche?
If you aren’t familiar with Dulce de Leche, it can be purchased in a can in the Latin section of the grocery store. It is essentially sweetened condensed milk that tastes somewhere between caramel and butterscotch and a whole lot of yum.
How Do I Store Cookie Pie?
Let Cookie Pie cool completely. Cover securely with plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days, then refrigerate.
Do I Have to Refrigerate Cookie Pie?
There is no need to refrigerate Cookie Pie. If you want it to stay fresh longer, then refrigerate after 3 days.
Can You Make Cookie Pie Ahead of Time?
Yes! You can make this Cookie Pie the day before serving and it stays fresh, soft and I actually think it tastes 10X better the next day. This makes it the ideal make ahead dessert for company or special occasions!
Can you Freeze Cookie Pie?
Yes. Here’s how to freeze Cookie Pie:
- Let Cookie Pie cool completely.
- Secure Cookie Pie by completely encasing it with plastic wrap by wrapping it around the pie a couple times.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
Looking for Delicious Pie Recipes?
- Mini Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Best Ever Pecan Pie
- Mini Caramel Apple Pies
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake
- Nutella S’mores Pie
- Ultimate Mud Pie
- Banana Coconut Pie
You might also like these dessert recipes:
- Chocolate Eclair Cake
- Customizable Nutella Cookies
- Poke Turtle Brownies
- Snickerdoodle Cookie Bars
- Puff Pastry Cannoli Cones
- Little Debbie’s Oatmeal Creme Pies
Want to try this Cookie Pie Recipe?
Pin it to your DESSERT, COOKIE or PIE Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Tools Used in This Recipe
Million Dollar Cookie Pie
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips (may sub semi-sweet)
- 1 Pastry for a single crust pie
- 3/4 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella)
- 3/4 cup dulce de leche
- Sea salt flakes
- Ice cream
- Hot fudge sauce
- Caramel sauce
- Place the pie plate you will use for baking on top of a piece of parchment paper and use a pencil to trace the outline of the bottom for the plate. (This will be your guide to spread your Nutella later). Set the parchment paper aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and mix an additional minute.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Add to wet ingredients and mix to combine. Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.
- Roll out the pastry dough and line your pie plate. Trim and flute edges as desired. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Take the parchment paper on which you traced an outline and place it, traced-side-down on the counter. You will be able to see the outline through the paper, but the pencil markings will be touching the counter, not the topping.
- Scoop the hazelnut spread into the center of the parchment circle and spread out evenly to fill the entire shape. Freeze 10 minutes, remove from freezer, spread Dulce de Leche over the top, and return to the freezer for another 15-20 minutes OR until you can easily peel the disc from the parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove frozen hazelnut and Dulce de Leche disc from the freezer and carefully peel it off the parchment paper. Lay the disc in the pie crust. Add the cookie dough and press into a uniform layer.
- Bake 25-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the center is almost set.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sea salt flakes. Allow to cool for about 30 minutes (or I think its even way better the next day!) and slice and serve with ice cream and toppings. If serving the next day, cover securely with plastic wrap once cooled. No need to refrigerate.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
©Carlsbad Cravings Original