This Best Ever Pecan Pie recipe is tied for my favorite pie ever! It’s unbelievably delicious with its caramel-esque sweet custard filling, its crunchy pecan crust all cocooned in Pecan Graham Cracker Crust!
This easy Pecan Pie is perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas because its make ahead and crazy easy made in ONE BOWL. No Thanksgiving is complete without this better-than-ever classic!
The BEST Pecan Pie Recipe
Do you looooooove Pecan Pie?! This easy Pecan Pie recipe is tied with my Nutella S’mores Pie for my favorite pie. in. the. world. It’s a bold statement. But this Pecan Pie is boldly delicious with its rich, caramel-like custard and the crunchy crust of pecans that naturally toast as the pie bakes.
OH. MY. YUM.
I made this Pie while some of my family was staying with me and every time I went to sample some, there was a huge piece missing. Everyone was a huge fan. huge.
I didn’t know I loved Pecan Pie until I was a grown adult and my sister brought it Thanksgiving one year. Pecan Pie had never been part of our Thanksgiving tradition before so I never knew what I was missing. And boy was MISSING out! After one bite of my sister’s pie, I was forever converted.
The Pecan Pie recipe my sister brought was Pioneer Woman’s Pecan Pie. I love that she chops the pecans instead of leaving them whole as I find whole pecans offer a disproportionate heavy bite whereas chopped pecans form a delightfully crunchy crust.
Pioneer Woman’s Pecan Pie recipe is very similar to many out there but I still found a few changes to make this already amazing recipe to truly make it the best ever.
I replaced some of the white sugar with brown sugar for a richer taste, increased the vanilla extract from 3/4 teaspoon to 2 teaspoons, increased the pecans and added cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves because even desserts need multidimensional flavor. These subtle spices make a world of difference.
Now what sets this Pecan Pie recipe far apart from the rest (besides the additional flavor) is the Brown Sugar Pecan Graham Cracker Crust. This super easy crust comes together quickly so you don’t have to plan ahead for you pie baking but most importantly, it adds a wonderful layer of flavor and texture with the nutty pecans balanced by the creamy butter and sweet brown sugar. It was meant to nestle your Pecan Pie filling. And you were meant to eat them – together.
Homemade Pecan Pie Ingredients
The homemade pecan pie filling features many staple fall baking ingredients.
- Eggs: 3 eggs will do the trick. They will whisk together more easily if at room temperature.
- Granulated sugar: Sweetens the pecan pie filling without adding flavor.
- Dark brown sugar: Sweetens the filling while adding a caramel-y flavor.
- Light corn syrup: I’ve only made this recipe as written, so I can’t speak to how using an alternative like pure maple syrup would work out.
- Unsalted butter: Use unsalted butter so we can control the salt. The butter should be fully melted but slightly cooled so it doesn’t scramble the eggs.
- Vanilla extract: Use pure vanilla extract if possible.
- Salt: We need a good pinch of salt to balance out the sweetness in the filling.
- Spices: A little ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves go a long way in this pecan pie with graham cracker crust.
- Pecans: I prefer using chopped pecans.
How to Make the Best Pecan Pie
If you have never made Pecan Pie before, it is one of the easiest pies to make (especially with our super easy crust)! To make:
- Add your eggs to a medium bowl and whisk.
- Add all remaining filling ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Pour chopped pecans into the bottom of the cooled pie shell (they will magically come to the top while baking).
- Pour your filling mixture over the top.
- Cover and bake — how easy is that?!!!
How to Tell When Pecan Pie is Done
The only kind-of-tricky thing about Pecan Pie is the baking time. For whatever reason, there is a huge variance in required baking time among different ovens. Most recipes call for about 50 minutes baking time but when I baked mine for 60 minutes it was way underdone. I ended up baking my pie a total of 75 minutes, which was perfect (Pioneer Woman makes the same Note on her recipe – the pie can take anywhere from 50-75 minutes).
The trick to know when your Pecan Pie is done is you want the filling to be set — the center should yield slightly like Jell-O when pressed with the back of a spoon — but it should not be very jiggly. The pie will continue to cook as it cools so the slight jiggle will firm away.
The good thing about pecan pie is that even if you under bake it for whatever reason, you can leave it in the refrigerator to firm up (instead of at room temperature) and it will still taste wonderful.
Tips for the Best Pecan Pie
- I prefer using chopped pecans in this easy pecan pie recipe, but you’re welcome to use whole pecans if that’s what you like.
- Don’t be tempted to add more pecans to this recipe otherwise the pie may overflow as it bakes.
- To be safe, bake the homemade pecan pie on a baking sheet in case any of the filling does overflow.
Can I Prep Pecan Pie in Advance?
You need your Pecan Pie to cool all the way to room temperature before serving so it is completely set, which makes this Pecan Pie perfect for making the night before. You can make, cover and store at room temperature (or refrigerate), then bring to room temperature for serving — which is actually my preferred method as the Pecan Pie develops even more flavor overnight.
Does Pecan Pie Need to Be Refrigerated?
If you won’t be eating the homemade pecan pie a few hours within baking it, it’s best to cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it.
Can You Freeze Pecan Pie?
Yes! To freeze pecan pie, let it cool completely and then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. It will keep up to 3 months in the freezer. To thaw, place in your fridge overnight.
How Long Does Pecan Pie Last?
If kept in an airtight container in the fridge, this easy pecan pie will last up to 4 days.
How to Reheat Pecan Pie
Pecan pie can be reheated in a 325 degree F oven or in the microwave at 30-second intervals.
What to Serve with Pecan Pie
Pecan pie is delicious as is, but if you’re looking to up the ante I recommend adding whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Looking for Homemade Pie Recipes?
- Mini Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Best Homemade Pie Crust
- Nutella S’mores Pie
- Ultimate Mud Pie
- Banana Coconut Pie
- Million Dollar Cookie Pie
- Pear Pie
- Praline Pumpkin Pie
- Raspberry Apple Pie
Want to try this Best Pecan Pie Recipe?
Pin it to your Thanksgiving, Pie or Dessert Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
©Carlsbad Cravings Original inspired by The Pioneer Woman Pecan Pie Recipe
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: