This post first appeared over at Real Housemoms where I’m a contributor.
This warm, creamy, cheesy Mexican Spinach Dip is easy, make ahead, bursting with fiestalicious spices and quite possibly the BEST Spinach Dip ever! AKA your new back pocket crowd pleasing appetizer for every occasion!
Don’t you just looooove Spinach Dip? Its creamy, cheesy, comforting and just plain addictingly delicious. I love it so much I’ve already made a Brie Spinach Dip, a Spinach Dip Stuffed French Bread, Spinach Artichoke Dip and now this Mexican Spinach Dip!
Spinach Dip has been an American favorite appetizer since the 1950’s, back when Lipton published the recipe on the back of their vegetable soup mix. History in the making. Today, Spinach Dip is as deliciously popular as ever – but even more delicious with this festive Mexican twist with multidimensional flavors! Bring this Mexican Spinach Dip to Thanksgiving, Christmas, your holiday parties, game day, etc. and it will be the hit of the night and so crazy good you will be craving it long after the last chipful.
This Mexican Spinach Dip was born out of an experiment. I was making Spinach Dip for a baby shower (along with my Key Lime Cheesecake Dip, Mini Strawberry Pies and Whipped Roasted Red Pepper Feta Dip) and although it was good, I thought it was somewhat predictable. Been there, tasted that. I wanted to put a fresh twist on Spinach Dip so I added some black beans, Rotel tomatoes, red bell peppers, handpicked Mexican seasonings, Pepper Jack cheese and this glorious Mexican Spinach Dip was born. Can we say flavor?! This Mexican Spinach Dip tastes wonderfully fiestalicious without being too spicy for all your guests. If you want to kick it up, then feel free to add hot sauce to taste.
What I love almost as much as the taste of these cheesilicious Mexican Spinach Dip, is that it is a stress free, make ahead appetizer. You can prep the entire appetizer up to the point of baking and then stick in the fridge until it’s party time. Or fiesta time. If you are making the Dip beforehand, I would add an additional 5-10 minutes cooking time, just to ensure the dip is nice and bubbly hot in the center. As this hot Mexican Dip should be.
As far as the reception of this twist on a classic at the baby shower? This Mexican Spinach Dip was the runaway hit of the party with everyone begging for the recipe. And now they will be begging YOU for the recipe!
Want to try this Mexican Spinach Dip?
Pin it to your APPETIZER, GAME DAY or MEXICAN Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Tools Used in This Recipe
Cheesy Mexican Spinach Dip
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 10 oz. can tomatoes with green chilies drained, (Rotel)
- 1 10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach thawed and thoroughly drained/patted dry
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tsp EACH ground cumin, salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp EACH dried oregano, cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (I use reduced-fat)
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened (I use ⅓ less fat)
- 1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup freshly grated Pepper Jack cheese divided
- 1/3 cup sour cream (I use reduced-fat)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat in a 12” oven proof skillet.* Add onions and sauté for approximately 3 minutes or until soft. Add red bell pepper, black beans and garlic and sauté for two additional minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes/green chilies, spinach, all seasonings/spices and mayonnaise until well combined and spinach is warmed through. Reduce heat to low and stir in cream cheese until melted followed by half of cheddar until melted and half of Pepper Jack until melted. Stir in sour cream until well combined.
- Top dip with remaining cheddar and Pepper Jack. Transfer to oven and bake for 20 minutes. Broil until cheese is golden if desired. Serve with tortilla chips.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
Carlsbad Cravings© Original