Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup is your favorite chicken noodle soup but 1000X better with pillowy, cheese tortellini – and it’s super easy made in the crock pot!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup is bursting with juicy chicken, cheesy tortellini and veggies in a steaming hot, savory, salty, perfectly seasoned broth. This soup is an easy meal-in-one all made in the crockpot for a satisfying dinner any night of the week. This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup is a delicious spin on chicken noodle soup that might leave you never wanting to make “classic” chicken noodle soup ever again!
I was the very first blogger (as far as I know) to create this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup over 4 years ago. Since then, a version has been created by numerous bloggers and can be seen all over Pinterest because Chicken Noodle Soup is SO MUCH BETTER with tortellini! So, I thought it was time to refresh my pics for this Chicken Tortellini Soup and try and convince you to try it if you haven’t! If you love creative spins on Chicken Noodle Soup then you will also love my Thai Chicken Noodle Soup and Miso Chicken Noodle Soup!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup goes beyond basic Chicken Noodle Soup with the same classic, hearty, comforting chicken veggie bath with the bonus of tender pillows of cheesy tortellini in each slurpful. From my Creamy Tortellini Toscana to my Cheesy Bolognese Tortellini Al Forno, to my Creamy White Bean and Ham Tortellini Soup, tortellini just makes everything better! Because if there is one way to make pasta even more delicious – stuff it with cheeeese!
How to Make Chicken Tortellini Soup
Not only is this the best chicken “noodle” soup I’ve ever had, this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup has to be one of the easiest meals to make because it’s made in the crock pot. The ratio of effort to deliciousness is astronomical – AKA my kind of dinner.
To make this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup, all you do is dice some veggies and throw them in your crockpot, along with some whole chicken breasts (my favorite part, no cutting raw chicken!), seasonings and chicken broth and let it cruise while the savory aroma permeates every nook and cranny of your home.
The crockpot is my absolute favorite way to prepare any soup that calls for chicken! You simply can’t achieve more tender or more tasty chicken any other way! Same goes for the vegetables. As the chicken and veggies cook, they soak up the garlic, onion, oregano, thyme spiced chicken stock, ensuring every chunky, tender spoonful seeps with flavor as it hotly, soothingly glides down your throat.
Tips and Tricks for Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup
- You are going to need a 6 qt. crock pot for this recipe because it makes quite a bit. If you don’t don’t have a 6 qt crock pot or don’t like leftovers then you can half the recipe.
- You will want to make sure to use low sodium chicken broth and add salt to taste or your soup will be too salty.
- That being said, if you feel like your soup is missing something at the end of cooking, it’s probably salt. I probably add an additional ½ teaspoon salt at the end of cooking.
- Cover and cook on low heat 6 – 7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours OR just until the chicken is tender enough to shred and the vegetables are tender. It is hard to overcook chicken in a broth, but it can be done. You wan to cook your chicken just until it easily shreds with two forks.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. While the chicken cooks, the juices are forced to the middle of the meat. The resting time allows for the redistribution and reabsorption of the juices throughout the chicken.
- You can use different types of tortellini. I’ve used 3 cheese, 7 cheese and even sweet sausage which was amazing.
- While the chicken is resting, add your tortellini to the slow cooker and turn the heat to HIGH if it had previously been on low and cook for approximately 15 minutes or until the tortellini are tender. Take care not to overcook your tortellini because it will continue to cook just by sitting in the hot soup.
- If you are not going to be serving your soup soon, then DON’T add your tortellini yet. Rather, you can add your shredded chicken and keep the soup on the WARM setting. About 15 minutes before you are planning on serving, then add your tortellini and turn temperature to HIGH for approximately 15 minutes.
- The “chunkiness” of a soup is totally personal preference. For a less chunky soup, simply add additional chicken broth.
- Delicious with crusty bread!
Can I freeze this Chicken Tortellini Soup?
As far as freezing this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup – the answer is Yes and No. No, I don’t recommend freezing this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup WITH the tortellini. Yes, you can freeze this Chicken Tortellini Soup WITHOUT the tortellini.
Most soups that are not cream-based freeze well but soups with pasta in them do not. The general rule with pasta is that it continues to absorb liquid when the liquid is in liquid state. Freezing will stall the process a bit but when defrosted and reheated the pasta basically turns into mush.
If you want to freeze this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup to eat later, then it works great because you can make the soup, shred the chicken but DON’T add the tortellini. Let the soup cool completely then freeze the soup and the tortellini separately.
If you want to make this soup, eat it, and freeze the leftovers, then you run into problems. There are two different ways around this. You can use one 9 oz. bag of tortellini (instead of 20 oz.) and add it directly to the soup then gobble up this tortellini in your soup servings before you freeze it (so there is no tortellini left to freeze). Then simply reheat it with an additional 9 zo. bag of tortellini.
The other way is to boil your tortellini separately, add it to individual servings so you can freeze the soup and tortellini separately.
But whether you eat, freeze or don’t freeze, you are going to fall in love with the depth of flavor and abundance of texture in this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup!
Looking For more Crock Pot Soup Recipes?
- Crock Pot Creamy White Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- BBQ Chicken Chili (Slow Cooker or Stove Top)
- Slow Cooker Bacon Ranch Chicken Chowder
- Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Soup
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Wild Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Thai Coconut Chicken, Wild Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
Want to try this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Recipe?
Pin it to your SOUP, SLOW COOKER, DINNER or CHICKEN Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: