Caramel Stuffed Brown Sugar Cookies are incredibly soft and chewy and infused with nutty brown butter and topped with sea salt!
Reviews are in, these stuffed cookies are repeatedly “the best cookies I’ve ever made!” They’re soft and chewy, deeply flavorful with a craveable dimension of nutty, buttery goodness all giving way to soft, caramel centers. Best of all, they’re easy to make in less than an hour with zero chilling time!
Stuffed Brown Sugar Cookies
This past Christmas, I made chocolate cookies stuffed with caramel, sprinkled with sea salt and dusted with powdered sugar – oh. my. yum. I have been craving salted caramel cookies ever since. The only down side to these cookies was the dough had to chill for a few hours and when you have plates and plates of goodies to get out the door – or you just have a mad craving for salted caramel cookies – waiting three hours can be torturous.
So I decided to stuff my favorite ever (no chilling required) Brown Sugar Cookies with caramel and I think Kiwi’s response does my own elation justice: click HERE
These caramel oozing Brown Sugar Cookies rank right up there with my S’mores Cookies (aka Patrick’s favorite cookie) and my Nutella Cookies AKA my other favorite cookie. They are soft, chewy, sweet and salty and get even more ridiculously delicious with each bite of soft caramel.
Why You’ll Love this Brown Sugar Cookies Recipe
- AWARD WINNING: A reader commented, “I made these for my school’s staff Christmas Cookie Contest. Won best overall cookie, and everyone were raving about them.”
- BROWN BUTTER: Deeply flavorful with a craveable dimension of nutty, buttery goodness.
- ZERO CHILLING REQUIRED: So you can eat them ASAP!
- EASY CARAMEL CENTERS: Add a caramel to cookie dough, top it with more cookie dough and roll into a ball – viola!
- SOFT AND CHEWY: This recipe includes one extra egg yolk for optimal richness.
- DECORATE FOR ANY OCCASION: Top with festive sprinkles– use your favorite colors or mix them up for different holidays
Caramel Filled Cookies Ingredients
- Caramels: Use soft caramel candies like Kraft. If you use a larger caramel, cut them in half.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter or omit the salt in the recipe. The butter plays a critical role in the flavor and structure, so please don’t make any substitutions.
- Flour: Use all-purpose flour for the best texture.
- Granulated Sugar: This imparts that classic sugar cookie sweetness! Do not use an alternative sweetener because it will affect the texture of the cookies.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: These leaving agents work together to create tender, soft, and chewy cookies. Make sure they’re fresh so they work!
- Eggs: Use one whole egg and one egg yolk. The egg gives the cookies structure and the egg yolk makes them extra soft and chewy because it adds richness without any additional moisture. Bring the eggs to room temperature before adding to the recipe.
- Vanilla Extract: Use the best quality for the best flavor.
- Brown sugar: Use light, medium or dark depending on desired flavor of molasses.
- Salt: Table salt is added to the cookie batter and I highly recommend topping the baked cookies with sea salt – think salted caramel!
How to Make Stuffed Cookies
These insanely soft Brown Sugar Cookies stuffed with caramel start with nutty brown butter – you know, just to make them even more delicious and because melted butter = a chewier cookie…
You then proceed to whip up your cookie dough as usual, but the use of brown sugar adds an additional depth of chewiness, richness and oomph of brown sugar flavor – perfect for cocooning soft, melty caramel.
To make the caramel surprise inside, you simply sandwich a soft caramel in-between 2 tablespoons of cookie dough, pinching the edges and squeezing into a ball.
You then sprinkle the dough with sea salt and bake for approximately 12 minutes. The Brown Sugar cookies will seem soft but let them cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet to slightly firm up and you will have the softest, chewiest cookies ever…
- Make brown butter: Melt the butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Continue to cook and stir constantly until butter is dark golden brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer browned butter to a large heatproof bowl. Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter (chopped) and stir until completely melted; set aside to cool.
- Mix dry ingredients: Whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder together in medium bowl.
- Add eggs and sugar: Add brown sugar and salt to bowl with cooled butter and whisk until combined. Add egg and yolk and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Combine: Add flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Add caramel: Scoop 1 tablespoon of cookie dough and place a caramel on top.
- Sandwich caramel: Add another tablespoon of dough on top of caramel, pinch edges of dough around caramel and roll into a ball.
- Add sea salt: Place cookies on prepared baking sheets 3 inches apart and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake: Bake at 350 degrees F 11-13 minutes until barely golden.
- Cool: Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
Caramel Stuffed Brown Butter Sugar Cookies with no chill time. Because when you get a craving for caramel stuffed cookies – you need them now.
Stuffed Brown Sugar Cookie Recipe FAQs
Melted butter in cookie recipes contributes to a different texture and flavor compared to using softened or creamed butter. Cookies made with melted butter tend to have a chewier and denser texture, with a more concentrated buttery flavor, as opposed to lighter and more cake-like. The melted butter also can create a crisper edge.
Looking for more Cookie Recipes?
- Triple Chocolate Turtle Cookies
- Oatmeal Creme Pies
- S’more Cookies
- Nutella Cookies
- Oreo Stuffed Cookies
- Carrot Cake Cookies
- Pumpkin Cookies
- Apple Cookies
WANT TO TRY THESE CARAMEL STUFFED BROWN SUGAR COOKIES?
Pin them to your Dessert or Cookies Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Tools Used in This Recipe
Caramel Filled Brown Sugar Cookie Recipe
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups packed brown sugar, medium or dark
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 20-24 soft caramel candies (I use Kraft)
- sea salt
- Melt 10 tablespoons butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Continue to cook and stir constantly until butter is dark golden brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer browned butter to a large heatproof bowl. Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter (chopped) and stir until completely melted; set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick mats. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder together in medium bowl; set aside.
- Add brown sugar and salt to bowl with cooled butter and whisk until combined. Add egg and yolk and vanilla and mix until combined. Add flour mixture and mix just until completely combined.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of cookie dough and place a caramel on top. Add another tablespoon of dough on top of caramel, pinch edges of dough around caramel and roll into a ball. Repeat until all remaining dough is gone.
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheets 3 inches apart and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake at 350 degrees F 10-12 minutes until barely golden (they will seem underbaked). Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 7 days. I like to microwave cooled cookies for 10 seconds or so for softer caramel.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
Adapted from Cooks Illustrated Magazine: Best Desserts Ever, Brown Sugar Cookies, page 88