Aloha Subs are your favorite sweet, tangy, spicy Hawaiian flavors packed in a juicy sub sandwich!
These Aloha Subs are loaded with tender Hawaiian meatballs layered on a bed of fresh pineapple, smothered with melty pepper Jack cheese, and topped with fresh crunchy snow pea slaw. These meatball subs are a tantalizing, exotic flavor, texture explosion in every bite! Be excited. Be very excited. I’ve included how to prep Aloha Subs ahead of time, how to make meatballs ahead and how to freeze meatballs so these Aloha Subs can come together in minutes!
I am excited for you!
How to Make Aloha Subs
When I dream up a new recipe, I expect it to be good, otherwise I wouldn’t make it and definitely wouldn’t share it. But my jaw dropped in giddy disbelief at just how good these Aloha sub sandwiches are. The whole thing, it just works.
The star of the Aloha Meatball Subs are the moist, tender, flavorful Hawaiian meatballs spiced with soy sauce, pineapple juice, ginger, onion, and panko breadcrumbs that bake for 12 minutes then simmer in a simple pineapple based sauce to drink up even more flavor.
While the meatballs are becoming paradisaically delicious, you whip up an easy Sweet Chili Aïoli of mayonnaise, Thai sweet chili sauce and Sriracha and spread it lightly on your subs. Then line the bottom of the subs with fresh, sweet pineapple to fit.
Next, top with your juicy Hawaiian Meatballs and pepper Jack cheese.
Then broil to bubbly, cheesy golden deliciousness.
Finally, top with refreshing, crunchy Snow Pea Slaw of snow peas, carrots, red bell peppers, green onions and splashes of mayonnaise, pineapple juice, lime juice and rice vinegar.
Aloha Meatball Subs. Paradise awaits.
Can I use Canned Pineapple?
Absolutely! While fresh pineapple delivers sweet juicy Aloha Subs, you can certainly substitute with canned pineapple. Take care you drain and pat dry the pineapple so it doesn’t make the buns soggy.
CAN I Make Aloha Subs in Advance?
Yes! You can prep all the ingredients for your Aloha Subs in advance so they can come together super quickly at dinner time. Prep your Hawaiian Meatballs, Aloha Sauce, Easy Sweet Chili Aioli, and Snow Pea Slaw according to directions and refrigerate them in separate airtight containers. Read on on how to store meatballs.
CAN I REFRIGERATE MY MEATBALLS?
You bet! Allow your cooked Hawaiian Meatballs to cool to room temperature. Then, place your meatballs in an airtight container or in a plastic freezer bag, decompressing the air, and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
HOW DO I WARM MY MEATBALLS FROM THE REFRIGERATOR?
- place your Hawaiian Meatballs in a microwave-safe bowl
- cover with a damp paper towel to help retain moisture
- reheat in intervals of 30-60 seconds, until desired temperature is reached
CAN I FREEZE MY MEATBALLS?
Of course, you can! You can either freeze leftover Hawaiian Meatballs or make the meatballs specifically to freeze them so you your Aloha Subs can come together in minutes!
To freeze meatballs:
- allow your Aloha Meatballs to cool to room temperature while still on the baking sheet
- place the baking sheet in your freezer for about one hour or until meatballs are solid
- Remove from the freezer and place your meatballs in an airtight container or in a heavy-duty freezer bag.
- If bagging, make sure to remove all the air to prevent freezer burn.
- Lastly, label and store your meatballs for up to 3 months.
HOW DO I DEFROST MY MEATBALLS FROM THE FREEZER?
- preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- place your Aloha Meatballs on a foil-lined baking sheet (for easy cleanup!)
- place another layer of foil over the top of the meatballs to prevent them from drying out while reheating
- warm meatballs for approximately 20 minutes, or until completely defrosted
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH MY ALOHA SUBS?
There are several side dishes on my site that team up well with these Aloha Subs. Some of my favorites parings are:
- Kicked Up Classic Creamy Potato Salad
- Tropical Winter Fruit Salad
- Million Dollar Macaroni and Cheese
- Baked Beans with Brown Sugar and Bacon
- Strawberry Avocado Broccoli Salad
- Creamy Grape Salad
- Baked Parmesan Fingerling Potato Fries
- Crunchy Asian Salad
Looking for more Meatball Recipes?
- Honey Buffalo Meatballs
- Italian Meatballs
- Cranberry Meatballs
- Korean Meatballs
- Parmesan Meatballs
- Swedish Meatballs
- Italian Meatball Sliders
Carlsbad Cravings Original