Apple Syrup ready in 15 minutes!
This Apple Syrup is quick, easy and makes everything better! Toss fresh apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and water into a pot and let it simmer for a gourmet tasting syrup in minutes. This Cinnamon Apple Syrup is absolutely delightful on pancakes, waffles, French toast, oatmeal and even ice cream.
Apple Syrup Recipe
In anticipation of my Sweet Potato Pancakes which I will be posting later this week, I wanted to first bring you my favorite syrup to smother them with: Chunky Cinnamon Apple Syrup!
The Cinnamon Apple Syrup tastes exactly how it sounds: tender, sweet apples, swimming in cinnamon syrup AKA drool worthy.
This Apple Syrup is the star of the Sweet Potato Pancakes, and will be the star of anything you smother them with. You see, I have a thing for drenching breakfast foods in fruit syrup. It’s a secret I discovered long ago – fruit syrup makes everything better!
My thinking is because syrup is mostly sugar, you might as well make your own (because it is SO EASY) and while you’re at it, you might as well throw in some fruit because this seemingly simple addition instantly elevates your ordinary syrup into an extraordinary sweet, syrupy, fruit infused bath that makes absolutely everything it glides across, pools on or smothers better:
- Like my Brown Sugar Carrot Cake Crepes with Cream Cheese Filling and Blueberry Sauce (a must try if you want to eat the best crepes of your life)
- Like my Pineapple Coconut Macadamia Nut Waffles with Pineapple Coconut Syrup (terrible old pics but insanely delicious. I need to dedicate a post strictly to this syrup)
- And like my Angel Food Cake French Toast with Cream Cheese and Strawberry Syrup (can’t even get over this decadent deliciousness)
- And now this Cinnamon Apple Syrup (a make-right-away must!)
What Apples Should I Use?
Granny Smith apples are the best apples for Apple Syrup because their tartness balances out the sweetness of the sugar. I do not suggest using any sweet apples for this recipe otherwise it will not taste balanced and instead taste sickly sweet.
How to Make Apple Syrup
To make this seemingly indulgent delight, simply simmer apples, cinnamon, a little butter, sugar, and water (mixed with cornstarch). In ten short minutes (or ten long minutes depending just how hungry you are), you have fresh, Cinnamon Apple Syrup and a home that smells delightfully cozy.
Here is a breakdown step by step:
STEP 1: In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, cornstarch whisked with water and cinnamon.
STEP 2: Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar and melt butter.
STEP 3: Boil for 1 minute then reduce heat to medium and add apples.
STEP 4: Simmer for 10 minutes, or until apples reach desired tenderness.
How Big Should I Chop My Apples?
The size of your apples is personal preference. I like to chop mine into 1/2” cubes. Keep in mind that the apples will shrink considerably when cooked. For chunkier Apple Syrup, chop bigger apple pieces, for less chunky, chop smaller pieces.
The size of your apples will also affect the ratio of apples to syrup. Large apple chunks means more syrup, smaller apple chunks means more apples.
How do I thicken Apple Syrup?
Depending on how much moisture your apples release, you may need to thicken or thin your Apple Syrup.
- To thin: stir in an additional tablespoon or so of water to reach desired consistency.
- To thicken: whisk 1 teaspoon of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water until dissolved. Stir into Apple Syrup then bring to a simmer until thickened.
How do I store Apple Syrup?
Cinnamon Apple Syrup should be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How Long does Apple Syrup Last?
Apple Syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
What Should I Serve with Apple Syrup?
You will want to smother everything with this Cinnamon Apple Syrup. Some of my favorites to serve with Apple Syrup are:
- French toast
- Ice cream
- Cottage cheese
Looking for more Breakfast Recipes?
- Breakfast Enchiladas
- Chocolate Waffles
- Crème Brulee French Toast
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pancakes
- Eggs Benedict Casserole
- Breakfast Burritos
WANT TO TRY THIS APPLE SYRUP RECIPE?
PIN IT TO YOUR BREAKFAST or CONDIMENT BOARD TO SAVE FOR LATER!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES! I AM ALWAYS PINNING :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Cinnamon Apple Syrup
- 3 tart apples peeled and chopped into 1/2" chunks
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in ⅓ cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a saucepan, combine all of the syrup ingredients except for the apples. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar and melt butter.
- Boil for 1 minute then reduce heat to medium and add apples. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until apples are desired tenderness. Depending on how much moisture your apples release, you may need to stir in an additional tablespoon or so of water to reach desired consistency.
- Serve over pancakes, waffles, French toast, oatmeal or ice cream.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
Carlsbad Cravings Original