This wonderfully easy, creamy Tomato Basil Soup with Parmesan is 1000X better than any canned/carton variety, is bursting with flavor and requires no roasting and hardly any chopping!
I first posted this Tomato Basil Soup recipe way back in February 2014 – my first MONTH of blogging! This soup continues to be a family favorite and deserved a photo makeover because everyone deserves this deliciousness in their lives!
TOMATO BASIL SOUP RECIPE VIDEO
While I love the summer months of sandals, and jacket-free bike rides, I love the winter because SOUP! Soup season is my favorite because soups are my favorite. I love how you don’t have to create any extra sides but instead get to curl up with your meal-in-one bowl of warm slurpilicoius comfort food like my One Pot Lasagna Soup, Zuppa Toscana, Italian Vegetable Soup and Minestrone Soup. If someone is intimidated by cooking, I always tell them to start with my Soups recipes and YOU should start with this Creamy Tomato Basil Soup recipe!
About Tomato Basil Soup
The first time I made this Tomato Basil Soup, I shared it with a friend after she had a baby and shortly after received the following text, “That food blew all our minds!! That soup was incredible. Seriously my dad can’t stop talking about it….” And more recently when I served this easy Tomato Soup to company, they couldn’t start raving about it. I see a pattern here.
Because this Creamy Tomato Basil Soup leaves you licking your lips with its layered flavors of minced celery, carrots, garlic and onions, simmered with fire roasted tomatoes, oregano, and basil and then made ridiculously more delicious with the addition of Parmesan cheese and cream (or milk). Drool.
How do you make tomato basil soup?
- First, mince the vegetables in a food processor so you don’t have to spend any time/effort chopping. The combination of diced carrots, onions and celery sautéed in butter/olive oil is known as mirepoix. As I discussed in greater detail in my Better Than Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana, every chef will tell you that every great soup or stew should begin with a mirepoix. And I heartily agree. The generous amount of carrots and celery add an untraceable sweetness which balance the acidity of the tomatoes and when combined with the onions and garlic infuse this Tomato soup with irresistible multi-dimensional rich flavors.
- Next, saute the minced vegetables for a few minutes then sprinkle in our flour and cook for another minute then whisk in our chicken broth, fire roasted tomatoes and our dynamic cast of basil, oregano, parsley, salt, pepper and a bay leaf then simmer for 15 minutes or until the carrots are tender. For the tomatoes themselves, we use canned fire roasted diced tomatoes which are a huge shortcut from roasting your own tomatoes. Fire roasted tomatoes are gently roasted over an open fire for a great smoky, flavor which enhances the sweetness and mellows the acidity – no acid reflux tomato soup here!
- Whisk in our generous amount of Parmesan and either milk, half and half or heavy cream. It is entirely up to you which of these three you want to use just remember that the higher the fat content, the creamier the soup.
- Finally, simmer the Parmesan Tomato Basil Soup for an additional 15-20 minutes for the flavors to develop more fully into robust deliciousness. At this point you can devour the soup as is (I personally love the texture) OR you can proceed to puree with an immersion blender or your blender but I HIGHLY recommend using your blender over an immersion blender for the smoothest creamiest soup. I use a blender in my Cauliflower Soup recipe, Broccoli Soup Recipe and Curried Butternut Squash Soup recipes and the texture can’t be beat! If you’re using your blender, just take care to let smoke escape or it will explode. I do this by leaving a corner of the blender lid open and covering the opening with a paper towel. No casualties yet!
Serve this Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with cheesy garlic bread or my cheesy cheddar bread and I promise “it will blow your mind!”
What do you eat with tomato basil soup?
- crusty bread or garlic bread
- grilled cheese or Cheesy Pesto Pull Apart Bread
- green salad, Wedge Salad, Cobb Salad or Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Perfect Fruit Salad or Winter Fruit Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad or Creamy Bacon, Pea Pasta Salad
- Lemon Basil Chicken
- Avocado, Caprese Chicken Wraps or Caprese Chicken Salad
Looking for more Soup Recipes?
- Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
- White Chicken Lasagna Soup
- Cheesy Taco Soup
- Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- New England Clam Chowder
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Chowder
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Wild Rice Soup
- White Chicken Chili
Want to try this Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Recipe?
Pin it to your SOUPS or DINNER BOARD to for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: