- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts,cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2teaspoons cooking oil
- 1/3cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3tablespoons honey
- 2tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1tablespoon Asian sweet chili sauce
- 1teaspoon sesame oil
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 1teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4teaspoon red pepper chili flakesto taste
- 1 1/2tablespoons cornstarch
- 2tablespoons cool water
- 1 green bell peppercut into 1” cubes
- 2/3cups UNSALTED cashews, roasted
- sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Sriracha/Asian hot chili sauceto taste
In a large Ziploc bag, toss together 1 tablespoon cornstarch, baking soda, salt and pepper. Add chicken, seal and shake until well coated.
In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken, about 2-3 minutes per side until browned then transfer to the slow cooker.
In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the Sauce ingredients then pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 2-3 hours.
About 30 minutes prior to serving, whisk together 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cool water in a small bowl and stir into the slow cooker. Toss in the bell pepper and cashews and stir to combine. Turn the heat to high and allow the sauce to cook and thicken up for 20-30 minutes. ***If you would like thicker sauce after 20 minutes, then remove sauce from slow cooker to a small saucepan and boil until thickened (2-3 minutes) then stir back into slow cooker (this is what I do).
Taste and season with salt, pepper, sriracha to taste. Serve hot over rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions, if desired.