- 1TBS Each dried oregano, ground cumin
- 2tsp EACH smoked paprika, salt
- 1 1/2tsp EACH ground garlic powder, onion powder
- 1tsp EACH ground coriander, chili powder, pepper
- 1/2tsp EACH dried thyme, ground turmeric
- Pinch – 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepperoptional
15 Minute Chicken marinade
- part Spice Mixin directions
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 bone-in chicken thighsskin removed
- 4 chicken drumsticksskin removed
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1 oniondiced
- 1 green pepperdiced
- 1tablespoon drained capersoptional
- 2cups basmati ricewell rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic clovesminced
- 2 1/2tablespoons reserved Spicesin directions
- 112 oz. jar roasted red bell peppersdrained and chopped – optional
- 1 15 oz. can can fire roasted diced tomatoeswell drained
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 1/2cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2cup pimento stuffed olives
- 1cup frozen petite peasthawed
- chopped cilantro
Whisk together all of the seasonings mix in a large bowl (large enough to hold chicken). Remove 2 ½ tablespoons Seasoning to use later. To the remaining seasoning in the bowl, whisk in 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon vinegar (it will be thick). Add chicken and massage spices into chicken. Let sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes or cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large deep heavy skillet (oven proof with lid) over medium. Add chicken and cook until golden, 3-5 minutes pers side. Remove to a plate.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive in now empty skillet. Add onions, bell peppers and capers and cook, scraping up the bottom brown bits from the chicken (flavor!) until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
Add rice, garlic and Reserved Seasonings and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in roasted bell peppers, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth. Bring to a simmer and simmer, uncovered for 3 minutes. Nestle chicken into the top of the rice in a single layer, cover, and transfer to the oven.
Bake 20-25 minutes (stirring at 10 minutes) OR until chicken registers 175 degrees, the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. If the rice seems dry and beginning to scorch before its tender, stir in additional ¼ cup broth or water.
Remove from oven and stir in peas and olives, cover and let stand for 10 minutes (the rice will absorb the rest of the liquid). Fluff rice with a spatula, garnish with cilantro and serve warm. If you omitted the capers, you may want to garnish with a squeeze of fresh lime or lemon juice.