Jamaican Jerk Seasoning is quick and easy to make at home, easy to customize and tastes fabulous on just about everything!
This Jerk Seasoning recipe adds complex warm, sweet, smoky, salty, fiery, fruity dimension to everything it touches – making it taste like a million bucks! It’s easy to whisk together with pantry friendly spices such as garlic, onion, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, allspice, ginger, and thyme – saving you time and money. Best of all, homemade Jamaican Jerk Seasoning eliminates MSG, anti-caking agents and is easy to customize to make it perfect for YOU. Use this Jerk Seasoning to instantly elevate chicken, seafood, meat, pasta, vegetables, etc. (and my Jerk Chicken Tacos coming soon!). You will love having this recipe on hand!
Ingredients In Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
Jerk Seasoning is one of the most flavorful seasonings out there made with easy-to-find, pantry friendly seasonings. If you don’t already own all of the seasonings called for, I highly suggest you add them to your pantry – they are staples you will use all the time! Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
DIY Jerk Seasoning recipe
How To Make Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning is easy to make in 5 minutes! See detailed measurements in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
JERK SEASONING FAQS
Both Cajun and Jerk Seasoning are spicy seasoning blends containing cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper. Cajun Seasoning also contains oregano and Jerk Seasoning also contains allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and brown sugar, infusing it with warm, woody, spicy depth with a hint of sweetness.
There isn’t a good substitute for Jerk Seasoning – nothing tastes as good as the real thing with its complex spicy, warm depth. That is why this homemade recipe is ideal to have on hand! That being said, if you are unable to find specific ingredients, take a Cajun Seasoning and add the following spices: allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
Yes, Jerk Seasoning is meant to be spicy, replicating the Scotch bonnet peppers used in authentic versions which is one of the hottest peppers out there! However, the beauty of making your own version is you can add as much or as little cayenne pepper as you like, making it less spicy if you’d like.
The defining distinctive ingredients in Jerk Seasoning are cayenne pepper (or habanero pepper for the brave), allspice, and thyme. Garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, parsley, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg also round out the spice blend.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
- 1 TBS EACH onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tsps EACH smoked paprika, ground ginger, dried parsley, dried thyme, salt, black pepper
- 1/2 tsps EACH ground allspice, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg
- Whisk all of the ingredients thoroughly together in a medium bowl.
- Transfer to an empty spice jar or airtight container. Store in a cool, dark place (like the pantry) for 1-2 years. Use as a dry rub for chicken, steak, pork, seafood, to season vegetables, rice, beans, eggs, etc.
- Protein rub: The spice blend creates a quick and flavorful rub for any protein. Drizzle your chicken thighs, steak, pork, shrimp or fish with olive oil then rub with Jerk Seasoning and let rest for 20-30 minutes at room temperate. Finish off your protein with a nice squeeze of lime after cooking. Use 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons as a dry rub for 1 pound of protein.
- Marinade: Make a quick wet rub marinade by whisking together 2 tablespoons Jerk Seasoning, 2 tablespoons olive oil, zest and juice of one lime and 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce. Use for 1 to 1 ½ pounds of protein.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!