Baked or Grilled Italian Mozzarella Chicken Foil Packets bursting with astonishingly juicy, flavorful chicken and tender, seasoned Potatoes, Carrots and Zucchini all smothered with Mozzarella Cheese!
These Italian chicken foil packets are meal-in-one that are quick to throw together and even quicker to clean up! I’ve included detailed tips and tricks so you can have the best and most successful chicken foil packets every time!
Chicken Foil Packet Dinners are taking the internet food world by storm. And I totally get why. They are sooo versatile, quick, easy, hardly any clean up, can be grilled or baked, are a meal all in one, make amazing make ahead meals (just pull a cooked packet out of the fridge), and completely delcious! Win, win, win, win, win, win, win!
Last month, I experimented with three different Chicken Foil Packet recipes at once (see IG pic HERE). I halved each recipe so I had two identical Chicken Foil Packets of each recipe (6 total) and baked one of each and grilled one of each. Then the fun part, aside from eating them, I asked my IG friends to vote on which Chicken Foil Packet recipe they wanted first:
B) Italian Mozzarella (Garlic Butter) Chicken Foil Packets with Zucchini, Carrots and Potatoes
C) Cajun Chicken Foil Packets with Sweet Potatoes, Bell Peppers and Lime Crema
B (Italian Mozzarella Chicken Foil Packets) won with a 5 vote lead over A, followed closely by C – but they are were absolutley DE-LISH and I can’t wait to share all the recipes with you!
With all my Chicken Foil Packet experimenting, I found a few important factors in order to make the best, most flavorful, juicy, successful foil packets:
Tips how to make the BEST Chicken Foil Packets
- Microwave your longer cooking vegetables – in this case your potatoes and carrots. While this is one extra EASY step, it ensures you the moistest chicken around. If you don’t microwave your veggies first, then you are grilling/baking until your veggies are tender and this is MUCH longer than the time your chicken requires to cook, resulting in drier chicken. not cool. Also by microwaving your veggies first, you don’t have to be such a stickler for what size chicken you use because you can base your cooking time off when your chicken is done.
- Bake/Grill your chicken just until your chicken is done – we are only able to do this because of the aforementioned step. Overcooking your chicken is a dry sentence.
- Marinate your chicken in a Wet Rub – doing this just while you prep your other veggies makes a world of difference. By slathering your chicken with a combination of olive oil, seasonings and in this case, splashes of lemon juice, Dijon and balsamic vinegar, you ensure your chicken is nice and juicy and seeping with flavor through and through.
- Chop your potatoes small – about 1/4-1/2.” This allows your potatoes to be mostly cooked in the micorwave prior to baking/grilling, otherwise they still might not be cooked through by the time your chicken is done.
- Don’t peak – only check one chicken foil packet at 15 minutes if grilling and 20 minutes if baking becasue every time you open the foil, steam/heat escapes.
Those are a few helpful hints/tips I learned, but don’t stress about them, these Italian Mozzarella Chicken Foil Packets are uber easy and everything you need to do is in the directions for melt in your mouth mozzarella smothered Italian seasoned chicken and veggies.
Want to try these Italian Mozzarella Chicken Foil Packets?
Pin it to your CHICKEN, DINNER or GRILL Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Tools Used in This Recipe
Italian Mozzarella Chicken Foil Packets
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
- 2 8 oz. chicken breasts sliced horizontal to create 4 fillets OR 4 4 oz. chicken breasts pounded to an even thickness
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, cut into ¼” slices (approx. 2 medium zucchini)
- 2 cups potatoes chopped into 1/4-1/2” cubes
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots (3-4 medium carrots)
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter chopped into 8 cubes (optional)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese more or less to taste
- fresh parsley
- fresh lemon juice
- Whisk together all of the Marinade ingredients in a shallow dish or freezer bag (whatever you are going to marinate chicken in). Remove ¼ cup Marinade for vegetables.
- Add chicken to marinade in bag, remove excess air and turn to coat (it will thick like a Wet Rub). Marinate room temperature up to 30 minutes while you prep your veggies or up to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, add potatoes and carrots to a large microwave safe bowl. Add 1 tablespoon water. Cover, and microwave 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Add zucchini and onions to potatoes/carrots in large bowl. Add ¼ cup reserved marinade. Toss to coat. Refrigerate if not using immediately.
- Lay out four 18×12-inch pieces of heavy aluminum foil on your counter (or double line if you don’t have heavy duty foil). Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray. Add one piece of chicken to each piece of foil. Evenly divide veggies between foil packets, placing around chicken. Evenly dot veggies and chicken with cubed butter (2 cubes each)(optional). Seal foil packets closed and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes OR until veggies are tender and chicken is cooked through (internal temp of 165 degrees F).
- Carefully open foil and sprinkle each chicken breasts (and surrounding veggies if desired) with mozzarella. Leave foil open and broil until cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh parsley, lemon juice and freshy cracked salt and pepper if desired.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Add foil packets, CLOSE LID, and grill at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes OR until veggies are tender and chicken is cooked through (internal temp of 165 degrees F).
- Carefully open foil and sprinkle each chicken breasts (and surrounding veggies if desired) with mozzarella. Leave foil open and close grill lid until cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh parsley, lemon juice and freshy cracked salt and pepper if desired.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
©Carlsbad Cravings Original