SOFT AND CHEWY GINGERBREAD BROWNIES ARE YOUR FAVORITE HOLIDAY COOKIE IN RICH CHOCOLATE BROWNIE FORM ALL SMOTHERED IN LUSCIOUS EGGNOG CREAM CHEESE FROSTING!
These Gingerbread Brownies are destined to become a must make holiday favorite and so much easier than rolling/baking individual cookies!
I am not an eat-every-brownie-in-site person – but these Gingerbread Brownies made me into one! These zingy Gingerbread Brownies with Eggnog Cream Cheese Frosting are wonderfully rich and chewy with a touch of molasses and bursting with warm Christmas spices of cinnamon, ground ginger, crystallized ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. They boast a festive complexity of flavor and the perfect amount of ginger kick which is mellowed and complimented by the silky Eggnog Cream Cheese Frosting. So basically, they will turn you into an eat-every-brownie-in-site person too!
Aside from their scrumptiousness, I love these Gingerbread brownies because, unlike cookies, they are a dump and smooth recipe instead of a roll/shape cookie after cookie recipe AKA they are simple to make which means they make fabulous party/neighbor/friend gifts like this and this. Like most brownie recipes, I also think the flavor develops more after a day, so they are an ideal make ahead dessert.
Like my Gingerbread Whoopie Pie recipe, this Gingerbread Brownies recipe utilizes crystalized ginger which I think makes all they difference. Crystalized ginger should be easily available at all grocery stores (and especially health food stores such as Sprouts, Whole Foods etc) – if you can’t find it, just ask someone working there. Crystallized ginger is typically made from young ginger root – the actual stem that grows underground – because it is more tender than the mature roots. It is peeled and steeped in cane sugar syrup to create a pungent sweet heat that is simply irresistible! I use 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger for a spicy ginger kick but feel free to use less for a more mild ginger kick.
The sweet bite of the crystalized ginger is complimented by they silky Eggnog Cream Cheese Frosting. This luscious frosting is silky smooth, spiced with nutmeg and eggnog and then dusted with cinnamon. You will want to smother this frosting on everything, and I have. I have an Eggnog Cookie Recipe coming your way which utilizes the same Eggnog Cream Cheese Frosting because its that good.
Now don’t wait to make these chewy, Gingerbread Brownies. They will make your Christmas season merry and bright! brownie after brownie after brownie…
Looking for more holiday dessert recipes?
- Gingerbread Whoopie Pies
- Crockpot Chocolate Peanut Clusters
- Peppermint Chocolate Cake
- Marcia’s Famous Chocolate Toffee
- Pistachio Chocolate Pretzel Bark
- Triple Chocolate Turtle Cookies
- Red Velvet Oreo Swirl Brownies
- Eggnog Cranberry Cheesecake
WANT TO TRY THESE GINGERBREAD BROWNIES?
Pin them to your DESSERT, CHRISTMAS or CHOCOLATE Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Tools Used in This RecipeSee Favorite Tools
Gingerbread Brownies with Eggnog Cream Cheese Frosting
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
- 4 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp EACH ground ginger, ground nutmeg, salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger finely chopped*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Eggnog Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened*
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 4 oz. softened cream cheese cut into 8 pieces**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-2 tablespoons eggnog
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line a 9×13 with foil with a large piece of foil so it overhangs lengthwise (so you can pick up the brownies by the foil edges later). Grease with butter or spray with nonstick cooking spray with flour. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Add chopped chocolate and set aside for approximately 5 minutes then whisk together until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Meanwhile, whisk all of BOWL ONE ingredients together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk all of BOWL TWO ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk in melted chocolate/butter mixture until incorporated. Stir in flour mixture with a rubber spatula just until combined. Transfer batter to prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
- Bake at 325 degrees F until toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking.
- Let brownies cool completely in pan on wire rack. Using foil overhang, lift brownies out of pan.
Eggnog Cream Cheese Frosting
- Make frosting when brownies are completely cool and ready to frost. Beat butter and 1 ¼ cups sugar with handled mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Increase speed to medium-high and add cream cheese, 1 piece at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Add vanilla, nutmeg, and eggnog and beat to combine. Beat in remaining 1 cup powdered sugar. Add additional eggnog, if needed, a teaspoon at a time to reach desired consistency. Evenly spread frosting over cooled brownies and lightly sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
- Brownies can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for 2 days, then refrigerated.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
Carlsbad Cravings© Original
leave a review