Ding Dong Cupcakes are rich, moist and chocolaty stuffed with creamy marshmallow filling and smothered in a silky chocolate ganache! You will never want to buy Ding Dongs from the store again!
Instead of stocking stuffers for Christmas every year, I stuff my Target cart to overflowing with a whole lot of nothing – beef jerky, Pringles, trail mix, everything Little Debbies and everything Hostess and on and on – all the junk food we never buy – all bought at once for Patrick, because they are his favorites – including lots and lots of Ding Dongs. So now that our stash of Ding Dong’s are long gone, I figured it was time for homemade Ding Dongs! Luckily, I spotted a recipe for Ding Dong Cupcakes from Cook’s Country and I knew that if they were anything like my Homemade Little Debbie’s Oatmeal Creme Pies then they were going to be better than the original. These are better than the original.
These Ding Dong Cupcakes start with a rich, moist, chocolaty cupcake that is double infused with chocolate from cocoa powder and melted chocolate chips. The cupcakes are so moist that you can’t use a pastry bag to pump the filling right into the center (a very good sign). Instead, you cut the center out to make room for your creamy marshmallow filling that is a delectable mixture of marshmallow creme, butter and some gelatin to help it set. You might be tempted to leave out the gelatin but the filling sinks without it – with it, its perfectly creamy, perfectly delicious…
Looking for more dessert recipes?
- Little Debbie’s Oatmeal Creme Pies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Mini Pies
- Triple Chocolate Turtle Cookies
- Toffee Pecan Cramel Pound Cake
- Caramel Nut S’more Bars
Want to try these homemade Ding Dong Cupcakes?
Pin them to your DESSERT, CUPCAKE OR CHOCOLATE Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Tools Used in This Recipe
Ding Dong Cupcakes
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
Chocolate Ganache Glaze
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon corn syrup (optional)
- 4 oz bakers semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- CUPCAKES: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour (or use nonstick cooking spray with flour) a12-cup muffin tin.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together water, cocoa, and chocolate chips together until smooth. Add sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla and mix until combined. Whisk in flour mixture alternating with sour cream until incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly among greased muffin cups. Bake18 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool cupcakes in tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack and cool completely.
- FILLING: Meanwhile, combine water and gelatin in large bowl and let sit until gelatin softens, about 5 minutes then microwave until mixture is bubbling around edges and gelatin dissolves, about 30 seconds. Stir in butter, vanilla, and salt until combined. Let mixture cool until just warm to touch, about 5 minutes. When slightly cooled, whisk in marshmallow creme until smooth.
- Refrigerate filling until set, about 30 minutes. Transfer ⅓ cup marshmallow mixture to pastry bag fitted with small plain tip (or to a plastic bag and snip the corner) and reserve remaining mixture for filling cupcakes.
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE: Add heavy cream and butter to a large microwave safe bowl and heat for two minutes, stir to combine. Heat at 30 second intervals if butter is not completely melted at this point. Add chopped chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted and smooth then stir in corn syrup. Let cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
- ASSEMBLE: Insert a knife at approximately ¼ inch from the edge of each cupcake, and proceed to cut a cone shape. Remove cone and cut all but the circular top off (“top”) – or just eat the bottom of the cone. Using a spoon, fill each cupcake with the marshmallow filling then add “top.” Lightly frost with Chocolate Ganache Glaze. Let set then pipe reserved marshmallow filling in decorative pattern on top.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
Carlsbad Cravings© Original