This Roasted Red Pepper Pasta is smothered in a creamy roasted red pepper sauce that will have you licking the plate!
This Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta recipe is simple, quick and custotmizable for an easy dinner any night of the week! The dreamy roasted red pepper sauce is mega creamy, spiked with TexMex spices, spinach and black beans. You also have the option to add chipotle chicken or whatever protein your heart desires -chorizo, ground beef, sausage, any veggies – or nothing at all! Because this pasta my friends, is all about the luscious, multi-dimensional roasted red pepper sauce!
This Roasted Red Pepper Pasta is about to become one of your favorite pastas in the world!
After I made my Breakfast Taquitos with Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Feta Dip – I couldn’t stop fantasizing of all the different ways I could use roasted red peppers – and this Roasted Red Pepper Pasta was born – and now I can’t stop fantasizing about this pasta!
You’ll love this Roasted Red Pepper Pasta because it’s:
So with no further ado, I excitedly bring you Roasted Red Pepper Pasta with Blackened Chipotle Chicken, Black Beans and Spinach. Because every day is the perfect day for Mexican food – when it tastes as delicioso as this!
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce Ingredients
For this Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce, you will need:
- red bell peppers: remove the seeds, seeds, membranes and slice in half vertically.
- white onion: peel and quarter the onion but you don’t have to chop it any finer because it is going to be chopped in the food processor.
- garlic cloves: peel the garlic cloves but you don’t need to mince them because they will also be chopped with the onions.
- flour: is used to thicken the sauce. You can use gluten free flour as well.
- chicken broth: use low sodium broth so we can control the salt
- cream cheese: you can use full fat or less fat but be aware full fat melts better.
How to Make Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- Roast red peppers. Roasting red peppers is simple, quick and easy, and 100X better than store bought! You simply broil the peppers for 10-minutes or so, place them in a paper bag and allow them to steam, and then you peel off the skins. Cinch, right?!
- Puree roasted red peppers. Add bell peppers, onion and garlic to a food processor/blender and pulse until smooth. You’ll want to blend until it’s as smooth as possible for the ultimate velvety sauce.
- Cook roasted red pepper sauce. Add red pepper puree to a skillet and saute for 5 minutes over medium heat – this will cook our onions, garlic all while infusing the red peppers with flavor.
- Thicken roasted red pepper sauce. Stir in 1 tablespoon flour and cook an additional minute to get rid of the raw flour taste and smell. Whisk in chicken broth, seasoning and bring to a simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, 3-5 minutes.
- Make it creamy! stir in cream cheese until smooth. Add black beans and cook until heated through, then stir in spinach.
- Add pasta. Add pasta of choice to the sauce and stir until well combined. If you want a saucier pasta, add less pasta, for less saucy, more pasta.
How to Season Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
Similar to how I added a Mexican flair to my roasted red pepper feta dip, which is a traditionally Greek dip, I knew I wanted to do the same with this roasted red pepper pasta sauce, which is traditionally more Italian.
So I spiced this Roasted Red Pepper Pasta sauce with chipotle chile powder, smoked paprika and cumin making it one of my all time favorite pasta sauces! Not only is it super flavorful, it also boasts a fresh, smoky-sweet pepper flavor from the freshly roasted bell peppers AND its crazy creamy! It doesn’t get much better than this. Possibly any better than this!
What Veggies Can I add to Roasted Red Pepper Pasta?
I added black beans and spinach to the Roasted Red Pepper sauce for extra dimension. They perfectly compliment the roasted red pepper pasta sauce without compromising the creamy texture. Black beans and spinach never tasted so good!
If black beans and spinach aren’t your thing, you can leave the Roasted Pepper Pasta plain, or here are a few more veggie ideas:
What Protein Can I add to Roasted Red Pepper Pasta?
To completely knock the socks off this Roasted Red Pepper Pasta recipe, I added blackened chipotle chicken. It is rubbed in spices and then cooked to juicy, flavorful heaven. After you make this chicken, you are going to be wondering why you don’t make chicken like this for every dish?!
Instead of chipotle chicken, you can also add:
- chile lime chicken
- cilantro lime chicken
- salsa verde chicken
- rotisserie chicken
- ground taco turkey meat
- ground beef
- ground sausage
- sliced sausage
Tips to make roasted red pepper pasta
- Can I use jarred roasted red peppers? Yes! You will need one 15 ounces jar of roasted red peppers. Make sure you drain them well before adding to the food processor.
- Can I make gluten free roasted red pepper pasta SAUCE? Absolutely! You can substitute the flour with gluten free flour or stir in 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch into the roasted red pepper puree before you add it to the skillet.
- Can I make gluten free roasted red pepper PASTA? Yes! You can use gluten free past or serve the sauce over zoodles, spaghetti squash or any other serialized veggie noodles.
- Can I change the flavor of the sauce? I personally am in love with this TexMex version, but it also lends itself fabulously to an Italian twist. You can add Italian seasoning or hand picked Italian seasonings such as basil, parsley, oregano and red pepper flakes. If you are going Italian, then Parmesan is also a wonderful addition.
- Can I make this roasted red pepper pasta dairy free? Yes! If you want to make the sauce dairy free then you can skip the cream cheese and add 1/4 cup cashews to the food processor with the peppers.
- Do I have to make it creamy? Nope! The ingredients simmer together to create a silky sauce and then the cream cheese makes it luxuriously creamy. If you would like a less creamy sauce, simply don’t add the cream cheese or add less to taste.
What kind of pasta should I use?
This Roasted Red Pepper Sauce goes well with either sprialized pasta so the sauce gets caught in the nooks and crannies or long pasta such as spaghetti so the sauce can cocoon the pasta.
What Can I serve Roasted Red Pepper Sauce with?
If you want to skip the pasta, this Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce is divine on:
- zucchini noodles
- spaghetti squash
- cauliflower rice
- whole-wheat noodles
Want to try this Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Recipe?
Pin it to your MEXICAN, CHICKEN, PASTA or DINNER BOARD to save for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Carlsbad Cravings Original