- 24-28 white button mushrooms (approx. 2 1/2-inch-diameter)rinsed and dried
- 1/3lb. Hot Italian sausagecasings removed
- 1/2cup packed sun-dried tomatoesrinsed, drained and dried
- 1/4 yellow oniondiced
- 1teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4tsp EACH dried oregano, paprika, salt, pepper
- 4-6 garlic clovesminced
- 8oz. Cream Cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4tablespoons melted butterdivided
- 2teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2cup Italian style panko breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Twist off mushroom stems and add the stems to a food processor along with sun-dried tomatoes. Pulse until finely chopped (alternatively you can chop by hand). Set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage and onion and cook while crumbling until sausage is almost cooked through. Drain grease. Add mushroom/tomato mixture, Worcestershire, and all seasonings. Cook for 3 additional minutes or until sausage is completely cooked through. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds.
Turn heat to low and stir in cream cheese until melted followed by sour cream, mozzarella and parmesan until melted. Remove from heat and stir in fresh basil. Set aside.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium bowl in the microwave. Add panko and stir until evenly coated. Set aside.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a separate medium bowl and stir in 2 teaspoons lemon juice. Dip the outside of each mushroom in the lemon butter mixture. Set mushrooms on prepared baking sheet, cavity side up.
Add Filling to a freezer size bag and snip off a corner. Squeeze filling into mushrooms until it is overflowing. Pat mixture down to create a rounded top then dunk the top of each mushroom into panko mixture then return mushrooms to baking sheet.
Bake mushrooms for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees F or until the filling is heated through and mushrooms are golden. Broil for 1-2 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve warm.